“Good food, but service lets it down”
Review of Cafe Rouge - Epsom

Cafe Rouge - Epsom
Ranked #28 of 185 Restaurants in Epsom
Price range: US$73 - US$73
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cafe Rouge Epsom has been designed with beauty as the focus, as you enter the bistro to the left hand side there is an impressive illuminated vintage perfume bottle display. Next to the bar we offer a very intimate space in the window with a stunning decorative pendant above; and for those really special moments our restaurant features two 'love benches' to share a meal with that someone special. Join us now and experience the best bistro in town.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The restaurant is part of the Café Rouge chain and in the busy Epsom high street, it should be thriving. It has a good menu and the food itself is very good, served attractively and priced reasonably. It is however let down by slow service – 30 mins for a simple ice cream dessert – and a rather cold, bordering on hostile, welcome by the manageress that softened slightly when we confirmed we had booked, yet there were plenty of spaces on unreserved tables. Perhaps it was just an accident that we were placed in the perfect blind spot, right by a pillar on a table that seemed to be the demarcation line between two waiting staff, but we were in the no-waiting staff zone as neither owned it, so we had to ask for menus for both courses and remind staff on most occasions when we needed something. We liked the food, but will return to one of its sister restaurants in future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My friend and I have an established tradition of having a late lunch on the day I am due to go home, and we always go to Cafe Rouge. Again this was a very pleasant experience with excellent, friendly service and food. I would certainly recommend the restaurant. The waitress took time to chat to us, and service was prompt and the food well presented with good coffee to follow. We'll certainly return.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Enjoyed dinner with friends on a warm sunny night in June. We chose not to sit outside as it is too close to the busy road with the traffic fumes.
Service was good and the food was lovely. As I am on the Cafe Rouge mailing list we had a free bottle of champagne for my birthday. The only condition was that we ordered from the Al La Carte menu...not a problem!
Can particularly recommend the French onion soup and deep fried Camembert. We all chose the sea bass as a main course....very tasty and beautifully presented.
Fairly busy, good atmosphere and an enjoyable night out.

1  Thank MinxiMC
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This restaurant has certainly gone down hill, haven't visited for many months as I live abroad. It appears all the full time long time serving members of staff have left!
The Manageress is curt,rude and unwelcoming!
Not recommended!!!

1  Thank French1974
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I have visited a number of Cafe Rouges. From London Bridge to Portsmouth & have always been happy. However I will not visit their Epsom branch ever again. Twice I have been bitterly disappointed. The food was fine, the coffee cold & the wait unacceptable. Twice I have been greeted with a frosty & poor service even when I tried to be friendly. I know the building is very old but the toilets arent very clean & shabby. Will steer clear in the future. What a shame. It used to be nice!

1  Thank Davina B