“A bit dissapointed”
Review of Anderson's - CLOSED

Anderson's
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Friendly, independent and individual makes Anderson's the ideal location to relax and unwind for single dining, intimate dinners, catching up with friends, and meetings.
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I took my parents for dinner at Anderson's after reading the reviews but although it was a very nice place and very well run the food was not great.
My parents are in their 70s - 1 found the gammon steak very good. Myself and mum had haggis which was ok but looked just as I would present at home, a great big serving plonked on the plate. The starters were ok but too much - crab cakes, which were fine, but with a poached egg on top - why?
I know we didn't have to eat ot all if too much, but I wanted to put a review for those who expected something of a little better quality on the basis of generally rave reviews.

1  Thank Uskgrub
AHGA, Owner at Anderson's, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for your response to Andersons, we are sorry you did not enjoy your experience. We will always adapt a meal if we are asked as all food is made to order, the egg with the poached egg is a favourite with many of our customers but others do request not to have it. The haggis which was on the specials in January is presented in a very basic way as a reflection of its origins.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Anderson's is the best consistently excellent food , great service from really friendly staff.Always willing to help with any request on the menu. Highly recommended .

AHGA, Owner at Anderson's, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for your supportive, kind review, look forward to your next visit

Reviewed 11 March 2014

When you are planning your 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration Meal with friends and family, it is critical to get the right venue, where you know you'll be looked after and have no worries about the quality of the food or service.

As is usual, Alyson's organisation in the front of house was brilliant and Stuart excelled himself with his productions from the kitchen. Everyone exclaimed about the great food, wine and service, the team really looked after us, as we have come to expect over the years since Anderson's first opened their doors.

We had the room, which allowed us to create our own atmosphere, but we were not cut off from the great atmosphere in the rest of the restaurant. In fact there was another 50th anniversary going on in the main restaurant and people who I had suggest might like to try Anderson's were actually dinning there at the same time. They thanked me for recommendation and commented on the atmosphere, quality of food and the friendly service.

The only negative point being, they like lots of other venues these days, do not cater for my taste in beer - no draft Guinness.

AHGA, Owner at Anderson's, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for your kind comments, its great having anniversarys in such as yours, it's always wonderful to see people that have remained together for so long and sadly it may well be a celebration we see less frequently in the future.
Wishing you many more years together

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We came in with a reservation for 8 but had an 9th and they accomodated us without any issues. As always the food was timely and the taste was excellent. I make a point of coming here every time I am in London (at least once a year). And the desserts were fantastic.... love the sticky toffee pudding was to die for. Everyone left filled and very happy! Highly recommend this restuarant.

AHGA, Owner at Anderson's, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, thank you for your kind comments look forward to your next visit

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Ate here last month with a group of friends (there were 10 of us altogether) and it appeared that the kitchen could not cope with such a large group. We all agreed the starters were good but the mains were just awful. I and others in the group had duck with a sweet potato rossti for main. The duck was over cooked and the rosti was burnt. The vegetables served as a side dish were grey, overcooked and unappetising. The whole meal reminded me of the style of food my mum used to cook for me in the 80's - bland, dry and uninspiring. The restaurant environment was also quite strange and confused. The waitress presented the cutlery on a silver tray wearing white gloves, whilst boom boom rave music could be heard coming from the kitchen whilst using the facilities. There wasn't an opportunity to feedback on the food as we were not approached during the meal to be asked if everything was ok.
I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy this style of 80's cuisine (and other reviews certainly confirm this) but it just didn't live up to my expectations of a what a dining out experience should be. Unfortunately, on this occasion, we were all in agreement that a mediocre meal at Pizza Express would exceeded the food at Anderson's.

2  Thank kmadams20
AHGA, Owner at Anderson's, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your review, and we are sorry your dining experience did not come up to your expectations. I do remember your booking and that some of you arrived early, others on time and a couple later than the booking time was organised for. To provide a good service we do require a little co-oporation, it took 3 attempts to get pre drink orders,which delayed the food order, staff were either ignored or sent away. This type of delay in ordering means a table with a later booking may well get their food first which can cause annoyance and complaints.
On this evening you complained that a friends steak sauce did not taste correct, which we changed then at the end of the meal although eaten you were reluctant to pay for the steak, no mention of a problem was made to the staff during the meal about the steak or any of the other dishes as 'you felt you had already waited long enough'.
We do use gloves to avoid finger marks on cutlery and it is always carried on a plate to the table, not a silver tray.
Stuart does listen to music that he can work to in the kitchen but it does not interfere with the music played in the restaurant or his cooking abilities.
Anderson's cater for tables from 2- 50 in the restaurant and up to 500 with the outside catering so we are experienced in large tables
We have never wanted to be a Nouvelle Cuisine restaurant and are happy offering quality food and service.
Meeting with friends should always be a pleasurable, relaxed, memorable experience, so we are pleased that there are several venues in the area that do meet your needs.
Wishing you bon appetit