The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham
Aviator(Farnborough)
Falcon Hotel(Farnborough)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsspa facilitiessauna and steam roomcream teagroupon dealcourse mealhealth clubbed and breakfastfollowing morningchristmas partylovely roomfull englishhogspoolsidesarahcarverydjdisco
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Although this hotel was huge and lacking in atmosphere it was surprisingly comfortable and well managed. Considering its on the Hogs Back it was quiet with good sleep quality. Restaurant was very good with some delicious options on the menu and breakfast acceptable. Staff were very well trained and pleasant. I was surprised how good it was.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Gerry M, General Manager at The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for your review and I was delighted to read that the hotel exceeded your expectations.
We work hard at delivering a consistently good product and service at a real value for money price.
Our plans to upgrade many areas of the hotel are well advanced. The Wi-Fi is due for a major upgrade by end October and I know this will certainly please our loyal guests who have had to endure a poor signal and speed issue for a number of years.
I hope to meet you on your next visit to the Farnham area

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed here for a night on the 7th October 2013 and have to say. for the price I paid I was a little worried at what I would be letting myself in for - HOWEVER, the hotel complex is actually very substantial and although some of the areas need a little updating in terms of decor, everything was clean and worked (apart from the WiFi which seemed a little hit and miss).

If I had one grip this would be to make the doors swing both ways - carrying your bags to your room you have to drop them at each set of doors as they open towards you (going out however is easy!).

The room I stayed in (310) was a good size with a firm bed which I prefer - The shower was great with good water pressure and nice and warm.If I had one criticism it would be that the room was quite warm - probably not an issue in the winter however even in the cool of Autumn I found it quite warm and I could find no way to cool the room unless you opened the window (which then means you can hear anyone talking outside). Air-con or a fan is a must for the summer I suspect.

Food-wise, I have to say I was mighty impressed - one of the best cooked steaks I have ever had and a really good quality soup was enjoyed as a starter. The staff were all nice and in the morning the Hotel Manager personally encouraged you to eat a hearty breakfast and would arrange for eggs and the like to be cooked as and when you wanted them - a nice touch.

I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If carrying a lot of bags ask for a ground floor room. If the weather is mild ask for a fan.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for your wonderful review which I will certainly be sharing with the team. Great to see you had such a great stay and enjoyed the meals. Good that you followed my advice and had a breakfast.
The Wi-Fi is getting up graded by October 25 and that will certainly end all the niggles we deservedly get for the system we inherited.
Plans for the refurbishment of many areas of the hotel are moving on and I am confident a lot will have been completed by March 2014. Looking forward to seeing you back again in the near future

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I had a lovely experience at the Diva Salon using my gift voucher. When I arrived Sue was courteous and made me feel very welcome and she explained everything very well. My treatments carried out by Fran were very good. And I also had a really lovely lunch in the bar area.
However, having been to several Spa centres before I did expect a slightly more upmarket situation, and I agree with a previous comment that it was a bit like a public swimming pool, but there was evidence of redecoration being carried out & signs of 'wet paint' around. Also as I was there on my own it would have been nice if there was a selection of topical magazines &/or newspapers at the poolside and in the reception/conservatory area to browse through.
I would also like to suggest that DIva Salon adds a section to their website 'what to bring' for your spa day - and list swim wear, shampoo/conditioner, and a book or magazine etc.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Many thanks for your recent feedback following your spa day. These comments will certainly be discussed with our partners who operate the Salon. Plans to upgrade the changing areas and pool hall are now well advanced and we hope to have completed by end January. I am confident that these works will enhance the spa experience. Please visit our website pages for updates on special offers and news of our refurbishment program.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I booked a Spa day in this hotel in July of this year for myself and three friends. I received the booking confirmation through and everything was great. I heard nothing else at all until the day before when I got a strange e-mail from them which seemed to suggest that half my booking had been cancelled. I got straight on the phone to an extremely rude man who claimed to be the owner of this hotel. He said that half the booking had been cancelled because I hadn't paid for it. In fact I had booked all places through Groupon and had paid for both bookings in the same way - with a voucher. This man said that there had been a system error, he seemed to think this was my problem. He actually could not care less, there was no customer care, he basically said it was my problem and now if I went along the next day, only two of us would be able to have treatments, and two would miss out. We would not receive any refund and he did not offer any concessions. He did not even apologise, he just blatantly did not care. When I got upset about it, he said I was rude and he wasn't willing to deal with me!! He said we could go back another day but as my vouchers expired the following day this was impossible. He really upset me and my friends since we have all been having a hard time and had been looking forward to this day for months. I think it was a complete scam to try and save himself money. He claimed the spa was full and could not offer us any alternative options such as all having a manicure rather than a massage etc - he didn't even know what treatments we wanted anyway as you only tell them on the day, which seems very strange in itself. Luckily I spoke to Groupon who were fantastic and gave us a refund. I feel I had a very lucky escape. I can now see why this hotel originally went bust. Their customer service is non-existent and I will certainly not be having anything to do with them ever again!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jayne M
Gerry M, Manager at The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

I am so sorry to read of your experience. The spa facility is run by another party and I have discussed your review with the man in question and also have seen the paper work. It seems 2 bookings were made, 1 via Groupon promotion and 1 direct. the booking via Groupon has been cancelled on September 27 and the direct booking on Sept 3. I understand the spa have offered alternative dates and this offer still stands.
I do hope you decide to take this offer up.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel was chosen for me by my company's booking agent. It was not too far from where I was working, but you have to go round a convoluted back way to get off the dual carriageway to get to the hotel. Follow the bed signposts and you'll find it! It's near to the hogsback microbrewery and they serve their ales on tap in the bar.
The hotel has great staff and service, and I was even upgraded to the suite, also called "the room at the top". It was nice to have the extra space and relax on a sofa to do my admin on the laptop , but if you stay in this room be warned its up a fair amount of stairs and there is no lift! Some areas of the hotel are fairly modern and stylish, but a large amount of the bedrooms and corridors are a bit stuck in the 90s and in need of a refresh. The Room at the Top suite is such a room, it has the potential to be stunning but is in reality a bit dated in its decor. I took a shower which was over the bath and the bath was really rickety! Also, there was free wifi in communal areas of the hotel and some of the nearby bedrooms, but no wifi in the suite where you would expect.
Also, I couldn't help but notice that the room smelt of smoke, but I think this may have come from another room on the same floor. However, the room was scrupulously clean otherwise.
This hotel has great potential and is recommended if you are staying in the Farnham/Aldershot area. I didn't use the gym/spa it there is one there should you want to use it!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Gerry M, General Manager at The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for your review, and I found each and every point valuable. Legacy have not long managed the property for its new owners. By end October we will have updated the entire Wi-Fi system which will be available to all our guests on a complimentary basis. New external high level lighting will be in place from mid October which should help guests find the hotel, especially at night.
Our plans for the refurbishment of all bedrooms, meeting rooms and public areas are well advanced and our intention is to start works early in the new year.
Hopefully you will return and I can show you what we have achieved.
I look forward to meeting you .