“Perfectly reasonable place to stay bang in the middle of Farnham”

Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Pleasant enough hotel with rooms recently refurbished to a decent standard. Good value for money but let down by 'housekeeping' calling at 9.45am on a Sunday. A handy way to kick people out?

• Stayed: July 2012
BUSHFarnham, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Dear Jimijangles,,

Please accept my apologies for the early morning on the Sunday, I have made my housekeeper aware of this and she has assured me that this is a one off occurance.

I am pleased you enjoyed the rest of your visit with us.

Kind regards

Paul Morgan

Reviewed 12 July 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We chose this hotel,for it's location close to an event we were attending. The staff were very friendly and checking in was easy. The rooms were clean and pleasant with a comfortable bed although there was no fridge or air conditioning, we had to leave the windows open and it was quite noisy at night due to a wedding. I had booked a table for 8 pm and we weren't called through to eat (lounge with table made up for us) until after 9 and then had to ask for menus and for someone to take our order. When we finally ate around 10 pm the food was lovely. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and at a good price if you pre book it. All in all it was a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Dear JaygeeMidWales,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent. I am please that you have enjoyed your saty with us.

I have made my Food and Beverage Manager aware of your comments regarding the timing of your meal. I am pleased, however, that you did enjoy your meal.

Paul Morgan

Reviewed 1 July 2012

I was in Farnham for a wedding and had to get a last minute booking so I chose The Bush Hotel as I had stayed in a few Mercure hotels before and had expected good quality service and a decent room. After being checked in by a very friendly receptionist, things quickly went down hill.

The room (number 29 - sounds familiar??) Was like a furnace and we struggled to get the bedroom window open. The bathroom window didn't move at all so using the shower only added to the intense heat. We left the room for the day hoping it would be cooler in the evening but no, it seemed to get worse!

I asked if we could be given a replacement fan as the one we had wouldn't sit upright for longer than 5 minutes but the person at reception said she wouldn't be able to help. During this conversation the duty manager appeared and he kindly agreed to have a look another one. He appeared about 15 minutes later with the replacement, which unfortunately squealed like an excited dolphin. It was funny for five minutes, then it became irritating as it stopped us from sleeping and had to be switched off, so it was back to the intense heat!

Add this to the catalogue of issues I'd already noticed (lights in the bathroom switching off for no reason, dust and dirt on and in the radiator, cobwebs and spider in the bathroom, big black marks on two of the walls, damp on the ceiling, cracked paintwork throughout) and I was ready to confront the receptionist in the morning.

I was offered the room at a discounted rate of £70 but I'd already done my research (thanks by the way to a few previous reviewers) and I had photographic and video evidence of the issues I'd found, so I was given the room for free.

I'd like to think the experience was limited to just the one room, but we also had friends staying in the hotel and the said they had encountered a few of the same issues in theirs.

I understand its an old building, and I understand its a 3* AA rated hotel but I expected so much more for my "£110 wedding party rate". Thanks to the people who did try to help, but the receptionist the night before couldn't have been more awkward to deal with if she tried.

Very disappointed...

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is a nice hotel in a great location. The car park is very tricky to enter so I had to do several trips around the one way system before I was able to work out how to get in but once there although a small car park plenty of room. Hotel staff were friendly and there was a good choice of wines at the bar. We had a very pleasant evening sitting out in the court yard with a bottle of wine. However thats where it ends. We were given a room on the top floor with two single beds when we had booked a double??? When we asked to be moved they could not accomodate us saying they were full??? The hotel did not seem half full let alone fully booked, no apologies or offer of compensation. The room was very clean but very dated. No air conditioning however a fan was provided would have been nice if it had worked or that it was replaced as promised. It was however very peacful and the lines were of a great standard. Would not stay again though I am afraid to say.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor are the best ones
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2012

The hotel is situated in an old building. Beautiful building but the hotel stood still in time.
I've stayed here already many times. The rooms on the ground floor are the only nice ones. On the other floor, they are old and not from this time anymore. What I don't understand is that all windows are still made of single glas. No double glass, so during winter you must heat up you room a lot.
There is no elevator so if you have a lot of luggage, you will have to climb a lot of stairs, even when walking on the same floor.
Breakfast is not what I like to see. It's getting better but still not on the European level. You don't have much choice when you don't like the fat British Breakfast. The bar and restaurant are ok, but you can find much nicer food at walking distance. Very nice little town with good restaurants and bars.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Frensham Pond Hotel
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
Premier Inn Aldershot Hotel

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!