“Not disappointed!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Hampshire
“Not disappointed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Having been local for many years I had been aware of The Bush as a hotel, and despite never having stayed here, held it in high regard. In the intervening years the hotel has passed from Forte Group, to Macdonald Hotels and now under the management of Mercure (part of the Accor Group). A friend's wedding brought me to the area and given that most other hotels seemed fully booked, I decided to put my impressions to the test and actually stay at The Bush.
Booking was a somewhat interesting affair, I attempted to book through Mercure's own website, only to be told that there were no rooms available AT ALL. Knowing the hotel is quite large, this perplexed me somewhat so decided to resort to actually telephoning the hotel. There were rooms available and whilst the room I booked was more expensive than I had been hoping, the girl I spoke to was very pleasant and very helpful. Her customer service was excellent even going as far as sending me directions to the hotel from my home as an answer to my question of how to get into the hotel, as I had already said I'd moved from the area and couldn't remember the exact way there. An excellent piece of initiative.
Having arrived at the hotel and locating the car park at the back (secure but a slightly awkward layout for parking), I then went to check in. I was in a bit of a hurry as was between the wedding ceremony and the reception at this stage (check in wasn't early enough for me to do before as the ceremony was some miles away), so this may have coloured my view a tad, but I did find this a little bit of a frustrating experience. I entered through the obvious 'main' door on the back facade and had to ask at the bar for directions to reception. When arriving there the staff member was helpful but despite me clearly being in a hurry (dressing in full wedding attire and with an entourage of bridesmaids) didn't seem in a massive rush.
I was in room 25, which having worked out that this overlooked the entrance courtyard, I was a bit worried it might be noisy later on, but gladly this proved not to be the case. This room is in one of the older parts of the hotel and has been very pleasantly refurbished. The room was fairly clean and very comfortable. I did have a few small niggles though. The seal from the bottom of the shower screen was missing which got the floor wet, the other seals were not as clean as they should have been but not dirty by any means, the light above the shower flickered, the room was a little bit dark in the hallway area as most of the lights are at the other end of the room (the ambiance was quite soft so that helped, but it needed something, although I appreciate the layout this room might not allow so). Two more major issues I have are thus. It took FIVE minutes to, having found the kettle on the dressing table quickly, locate the cups and the coffee! (A tip for those not in the know, under the TV, next to the fridge!) The other was down to the rooms location. The courtyard is floodlit, no problem with that, but the way the curtains are designed meant a lot of light came in on the right hand side of the window. I got round this by tucking the curtain into the pelmet.
Breakfast was very good and served in a lovely room overlooking the garden, an excellent choice and actually the full english consisted of high quality ingredients and was very tasty. The first time I've had this at a hotel for a VERY long time. (The scrambled eggs were still a bit iffy, but they are tricky to do on a mass scale).
The staff were very helpful throughout my stay and proved that the extra mile that sometimes needs doing had been thought about in advance, i.e. decaffinated coffee at breakfast, from ground coffee not instant, toothpaste and a large envelope being found on request from reception.
Mercure have clearly spent a lot of time and effort on the hotel recently and whilst there are a few little bits that could be improved (for instance the hallways look a little dated, although well maintained, and cleary date from the Forte Heritage era, and the linen room with strictly staff only notices which shouldnt be seen by guests, was left open for the entire morning from getting up to checking out, with linen piled outside), these small items were not big enough to impact on my stay and I was cheered that the whole hotel and experience had lived up to my (admittedly high) expectations.
One final tip I would give is that you should keep a look out in reception, there are some very good local information leaflets (not the usual junk), some very interesting local magazines and an interesting factsheet about the hotel (for those interested in that sort of thing, I am), all showing that care is put into the running of the hotel and pride is clearly taken by those who work there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your taking so much time to write a review following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and that the experience lived up to the high expectations you had built up.
We can take a lot from your comments and are glad that you were pleased with the efforts put in recently and we will use your feedback to continue to improve on our facilities.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kindest regards,

Tony Tijhuis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Turkish first
Staffordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed as part of an extended business meeting. My room was spacious but very dark -one light did not appear to work and the others were very dim so it WS difficult to find anywhere with enough light to read comfortably. Decor a bit tired but reasonably clean.
The main plus point was the breakfast which could not be faulted-large choice and very tasty.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
I am sorry you found the room too be on the dark side and somewhat tired, but I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our extensive breakfast selection.
We appreciate your feedback and hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Tony Tijhuis
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We booked three rooms at this hotel in coincide with Goodwood Festival of Speed. The deal with the rooms meant that we had to pay for them eight months in advance and when I contacted the hotel to ask for some form of invoice to balance my accounts they were unable to provide one until our booking date. On arrival at the hotel I was a little disappointed - the pictures show a lovely old ivy covered building ... with no view of the more modern stark extension block. Check in was quick and easy - however when asked if I wanted a morning paper they then ordered papers for all three rooms, which were not required and I had to pay for. The first evening we went into the bar and after a ten minute wait finally a barman turned up (the next evening a guest who stayed there regularly even went behind the bar for me and used the phone to call reception and ask for someone to come to the bar - so this is obviously a regular problem!!). Likewise when we went to the restaurant there were six people dining but it still took them 10mins to seat us. We ordered pre-dinner nibbles, food and wine. The nibbles arrived 50 minutes later with the starters and we had to ask for the wine. The food was adequate but the service was exceptionally slow - it was 11pm by the time the meal was over (3 hours to serve 4 people seems unreasonable to me)!! Breakfast was fine but on the Monday morning is ordered the eggs Benedict from the kitchen rather than the buffet breakfast and again by the time it had arrived everyone else had long finished. Service at supper on Saturday was likewise slow - with less than 10 diners. My partner ordered a chicken Caesar salad as I had ordered this the previous evening and it was lovely. However the dish that turned up the following night bore no resemblance whatsoever to the previous one - it was about half the size and had just been slapped on the plate!!!! Then a large wedding party who had obviously been at a function elsewhere turned up just before midnight and because all the bedrooms overlook the outside tables kept the resident awake until the early hours. Having no air conditioning you needed to open the windows but the noise will keep you awake for sure if anyone is outside. All in all the place looks very tired and worn - the bedrooms and bathrooms definitely are in need of a revamp. Finally to add insult to injury when we got back we were missing one of the room invoices. I called the hotel to request a copy - only to be told by the member of staff halfway through the conversation to "hang on I've got a customer to deal with". I then had to wait five minutes while she booked a couple into their room!!! Surely you deal with one person at a time, regardless of if that customer is on the phone!! This typified the lack of basic service at the hotel - and I would certainly not be recommending this hotel to anyone (something I have never done before.). Will not be going back anytime soon!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding you stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel in July. I was very disappointed to read your review and would like to apologize for the shortcomings you received.

The largest part of our bedrooms have been refurbished in recent years and the ground floor and conference centre had a full make over this year and I am sorry that your room hasn't had the same attention yet. However, we are committed to continue to improve on our facilities further.
Please rest assured that we will also ensure that we focus on the service aspects further to avoid any reoccurrences of lack of staffing going forward.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to enjoy a hassle free experience.

Tony Tijhuis, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Farnham hotels

Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a travelzoo special deal. The free room upgrade was great. The breakfast and free evening meals were delicious and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay there again and might even pay the full price. Farhham was very interesting and two days was not enough to see it all.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank VespaPK125
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Farnham Bush. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Shoeburyness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Not a hotel which is able to deal quickly with nuisance guests.Drunken Asian lady next door to us screamed wailed and spewed sexual obscenities ALL night. After 4 hours and several other complaints the police were called. This was too long we had no sleep at all and a hotel is for sleep. All they compensated us with was a free breakfast when it should have been a full refund. Whilst it was not their fault neither was it ours. No tea or coffee making facilities even in our superior room, clean and modernised but customer service very poor. However the breakfast was good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank toejo7
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.

I am very sorry for the shortcomings you experienced regarding the lack of sleep.
Indeed, we experienced the noise disturbance through a domestic issue in your neigbouring room, for which I sincerely apologize.
The night manager had spoken to the guests in question to try to defuse the situation. He tried to persuade one of the guests to leave on their own accord. The noise stopped for a while, but when it started again he immediately phoned the police. It took a while before the police arrived and as the lady in question was then on her best behaviour the police did not want to take any action with her.

After the police left the lady made further noise without anybody else being with her.
It was an exceptional situation and my team tried to deal with the situation as best as possible.

The unfortunate scenario was that we were fully booked. If this was not the case, we would offered to move you to another room straight away.
I am surprised to read that you felt that our customer service was poor, despite your lengthy conversation with our duty manager Diane in the morning.

With regards to tea & coffee making facilities, we do offer them in all of our bedrooms. They are stored in the cupboard below the TV. Please do not hesitate to ask any member of our team for these facilties, as we would be more than happy to show them to you.

I would also be more than happy to discuss the matter further with yourself. Please feel free to contact me directly on H6621-gm@accor.com or on 01252 - 715 237.

We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back to experience a hassle free stay in the future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

A friend treated me to afternoon tea, it was a lovely experience. The surroundings are fantastic, staff were only to pleased to help, the value for money is outstanding.
When we settled our bill, I asked the receptionist where the nearest letterbox was, she even offered to post it for me on her way home. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.

It is nice to see that you enjoyed the afternoon tea, the surroundings and the hospitality at the hotel.
Please continue to spread the word and we hope to welcome you back on many occasions in the future.

Tony Tijhuis, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
BEST WESTERN Frensham Pond Hotel
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 8 in Farnborough
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,759 reviews

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!