“How much better could it be”

Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Reviewed 22 October 2013

To be fair this is a bit prejudiced (positively) as it was our wedding. Having said that they did everything it said on the tin plus a bit. Not only did the ceremony go like clockwork but the food was very, very good and the service (led by Holly and Declan) excellent.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear John,

We are pleased your wedding at the Mercure Bush Hotel was a great success and send you all best wishes for the future.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Mercure is right in the town centre yet once you walk through into the courtyard you could be anywhere your imagination wanted to take you, apart from somewhere hot, as this is England in October
We booked a superior room, which had a door opening onto the garden, unfortunately it was locked and there was no key. As it is mid October and we were only there for one night this was not a problem for us, but if you have the facility of a patio door then you should be able to use it.
The room itself was not as big as I would have expected though it had everything you needed, safe, tea and coffee and an expresso machine and a very comfy bed.
The main building is full of timber beams and period features with a nice lounge and bar, the breakfast room was a bit dated but that added to its charm and the choice of breakfast was good. I had the traditional bacon and eggs etc which was excellent.
We did not use the bar or restaurant so I cannot comment on prices or the menu, as we were in the town centre there are plenty of pubs and restaurants to choose from.
All in all this is a good character town centre hotel for around the same price as the usual suspects.

Room Tip: Ask for a room opening onto the garden
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, the room facilities and the breakfast you had with us.

Our restaurant offers a nice variety of dishes and at good value for money; £16.50 for 2 courses and £19.50 for three courses, so well worth a try for next time. We also do a large variety of bar dishes as well.

Thank you again for your kind comments. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for a friends wedding (held 5 miles away) and had a really great experience at this hotel - our room was lovely and spacious with everything we could need. The bed was great with a feather duvet and pillows and the great quality curtains and late check-out time (midday) meant we could enjoy a brilliant lie-in after our late night. The staff were all lovely and only too happy to help us with a taxi booking. The parts of the hotel we saw were well decorated and equipped and the hotel is in a nice central location. I was far more impressed than I expected to be.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Laura,

Thank you very much for your review following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are pleased that we were able to impress you and that you had a great experience with regards to your room, the service, the location, as well as the decor and the equipment.
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and bringing a positive message to the attention of other potential guests.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

The surroundings are beautiful and as you walk through the door you'll think you've found a gem but around a few corners waits the horror story of a once great hotel that's been left unloved. As you approach the stairs you start to see the thread bare carpets and the peeling paint, going up the stairs it only gets worse until you get to the room on the 2nd floor and find a half eaten biscuit awaiting you, décor from the 80's and low quality fittings.

Having complained I was moved to their premier rooms and while a vast improvement I can't help think that a modern travellodge at half the price would have been a better place to be.

I'll be giving this one a miss in the future.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dan W

Dear Dan,

Thank you for your review following you recent stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are sorry that our accommodation on the second floor didn't live up to your expectations.
We are very passionate about our hotel and about the improvements we have been making to the hotel recently and will continue to so. Our bedrooms on the ground floor and first floor of our wing have been refurbished in recent years and we completely refurbsihed our ground floor communal areas this year. To improve on our second floor bedrooms is going to be high on my agenda for the future.
We do hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back to show you further improvements made.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I were in Farnham for his mother's 100th birthday and booked into The Bush as it was convenient to our venue. The hotel far exceeded our expectations as the rear of the hotel is much, much nicer than the facade it presents to South Street. Friendly, helpful staff and really good bar food.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Maggie,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Bush Hotel.
May I take this opportunity of congratulating your mother-in-law on her milestone birthday!
I hope you all enjoyed the day.

We are pleased that your stay far exceeded your expectations and that you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and the bar food to be good too.
We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
Please pass my regards to your mother-in-law.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Having been local for many years I had been aware of The Bush as a hotel, and despite never having stayed here, held it in high regard. In the intervening years the hotel has passed from Forte Group, to Macdonald Hotels and now under the management of Mercure (part of the Accor Group). A friend's wedding brought me to the area and given that most other hotels seemed fully booked, I decided to put my impressions to the test and actually stay at The Bush.
Booking was a somewhat interesting affair, I attempted to book through Mercure's own website, only to be told that there were no rooms available AT ALL. Knowing the hotel is quite large, this perplexed me somewhat so decided to resort to actually telephoning the hotel. There were rooms available and whilst the room I booked was more expensive than I had been hoping, the girl I spoke to was very pleasant and very helpful. Her customer service was excellent even going as far as sending me directions to the hotel from my home as an answer to my question of how to get into the hotel, as I had already said I'd moved from the area and couldn't remember the exact way there. An excellent piece of initiative.
Having arrived at the hotel and locating the car park at the back (secure but a slightly awkward layout for parking), I then went to check in. I was in a bit of a hurry as was between the wedding ceremony and the reception at this stage (check in wasn't early enough for me to do before as the ceremony was some miles away), so this may have coloured my view a tad, but I did find this a little bit of a frustrating experience. I entered through the obvious 'main' door on the back facade and had to ask at the bar for directions to reception. When arriving there the staff member was helpful but despite me clearly being in a hurry (dressing in full wedding attire and with an entourage of bridesmaids) didn't seem in a massive rush.
I was in room 25, which having worked out that this overlooked the entrance courtyard, I was a bit worried it might be noisy later on, but gladly this proved not to be the case. This room is in one of the older parts of the hotel and has been very pleasantly refurbished. The room was fairly clean and very comfortable. I did have a few small niggles though. The seal from the bottom of the shower screen was missing which got the floor wet, the other seals were not as clean as they should have been but not dirty by any means, the light above the shower flickered, the room was a little bit dark in the hallway area as most of the lights are at the other end of the room (the ambiance was quite soft so that helped, but it needed something, although I appreciate the layout this room might not allow so). Two more major issues I have are thus. It took FIVE minutes to, having found the kettle on the dressing table quickly, locate the cups and the coffee! (A tip for those not in the know, under the TV, next to the fridge!) The other was down to the rooms location. The courtyard is floodlit, no problem with that, but the way the curtains are designed meant a lot of light came in on the right hand side of the window. I got round this by tucking the curtain into the pelmet.
Breakfast was very good and served in a lovely room overlooking the garden, an excellent choice and actually the full english consisted of high quality ingredients and was very tasty. The first time I've had this at a hotel for a VERY long time. (The scrambled eggs were still a bit iffy, but they are tricky to do on a mass scale).
The staff were very helpful throughout my stay and proved that the extra mile that sometimes needs doing had been thought about in advance, i.e. decaffinated coffee at breakfast, from ground coffee not instant, toothpaste and a large envelope being found on request from reception.
Mercure have clearly spent a lot of time and effort on the hotel recently and whilst there are a few little bits that could be improved (for instance the hallways look a little dated, although well maintained, and cleary date from the Forte Heritage era, and the linen room with strictly staff only notices which shouldnt be seen by guests, was left open for the entire morning from getting up to checking out, with linen piled outside), these small items were not big enough to impact on my stay and I was cheered that the whole hotel and experience had lived up to my (admittedly high) expectations.
One final tip I would give is that you should keep a look out in reception, there are some very good local information leaflets (not the usual junk), some very interesting local magazines and an interesting factsheet about the hotel (for those interested in that sort of thing, I am), all showing that care is put into the running of the hotel and pride is clearly taken by those who work there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your taking so much time to write a review following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and that the experience lived up to the high expectations you had built up.
We can take a lot from your comments and are glad that you were pleased with the efforts put in recently and we will use your feedback to continue to improve on our facilities.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Tony Tijhuis

Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed as part of an extended business meeting. My room was spacious but very dark -one light did not appear to work and the others were very dim so it WS difficult to find anywhere with enough light to read comfortably. Decor a bit tired but reasonably clean.
The main plus point was the breakfast which could not be faulted-large choice and very tasty.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
I am sorry you found the room too be on the dark side and somewhat tired, but I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our extensive breakfast selection.
We appreciate your feedback and hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Tony Tijhuis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Premier Inn Farnham
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
#1 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!