“Only thing available”

Reviewed 28 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Mike K
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

...to a golden age when it was difficult for the consumer to publicise their own experiences and customer service just did not matter.

DISCLAIMER: This review is just my own subjective opinion, weighed against the sum of my personal experiences. You may disagree with me; if you are in to 'Fawlty Towers' and masochism, you could be in for a real treat with this hotel!

This hotel rates badly for the following reasons:

Comfort: rooms too hot, no thermostat control and aged fittings and furnishings.

Decor: badly in need of refurbishment, mis-matched and threadbare carpets in the halls, carpet lifting near the stairs creating a tripping hazard with potentially dire consequences.

Architectural: the stairs have a short and forward-sloping tread, which would make them particularly hazardous to older guests or those with balance difficulties. This is an easily-rectified problem, however the hotel management seem to be averse to spending a little money here and there. No double glazing on the single, small window and thin walls make for a noisy stay. I answered what I thought was a knock at the door this morning to find the caller was knocking at a door 2 rooms down the corridor!

Cleanliness: on arrival, our room was found to contain some body hair samples from the previous occupants on the bathroom floor. Empty cigarette packets were also found in the wardrobe, indicative of poor attention to detail during the cleaning process. The room has an overbearing musty smell, most likely due to the length of time the soft furnishings, carpet and mattress have been in use.

Customer service: there must be some kind of pay dispute going on at the moment; not many happy faces about and not an atmosphere which seems to encourage friendly chat or questions on what to see and do in Farnham.

Food: room service over-priced, poorly presented and not the best quality. Did not dare the restaurant following the overall impression of the hotel.

Value for money: we paid £80 per night from an online deal, which feels about £30 per night over the odds. There does not seem to be much competition in the area which may explain why complacent and apathetic attitudes described in the main body of this review. Having stayed in other Mercure hotels previously and having been similarly underwhelmed, these poor standards of care and reinvestment may be caused by an aggressively profit-hungry management strategy.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sam S
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I was very disappointed to read your review and would like to sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you experienced.
We have a large number of fully refurbished bedrooms that were refurbished in recent years and large investments have taken place again this year. I will continue to push for further investments in the corridors and the few remaining bedrooms.
Health & safety is very high on my agenda, as well as cleanliness and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your feedback further. Please do feel free to contact me.

Once again, my apologies for the shortcomings and I hope to be able to welcome you back to experience a hassle free stay.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have stayed at The Farnham Bush Hotel several times and my experiences have varied widely. The hotel is stuck on an odd corner in a lovely old market town. I was once allocated the four-poster room on the first floor (I think) which was lovely, spacious and comfortable but another time in a different tiny room I couldn't move around in the bathroom without bashing my head! There is a rather ugly extension at the back where the rooms are quite newly appointed but rather dark and drab and a bit hostel-like. On the positive side the bar-food is very good and the lounge is lovely with original centuries-old murals . But the whole thing just doesn't hang together and so you never know whether you are getting value for money or not. I could do with a warmer welcome, too. They always make the solo traveller feel like a second-class citizen.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Philippa,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your various stays you have had with ourselves.
I am sorry to read that you do not like all areas of the hotel.
Please do feel free to send me a request of the room you would prefer to stay in and I will do my utmost to ensure you are accommodated accordingly.

We are pleased that you like our food and the lounge facilties at the hotel and hope you will enjoy these for many years to come.
I will discuss your feedback with the staff regarding the welcome. It is generally an area that is very positively reviewed by most of our guests and a warm welcome is certainly very close to my heart.
As you know, we did on one occasion request you to leave our premises due to inappropriate behaviour, which is something that no hotel team does lightly and I can only assume that this must have contributed to the way you view our welcome.

May I please re-iterate that all solo travellers including yourself are very, very welcome in our hotel. Please do feel free to contact me personally, should you wish to discuss any of the feedback further.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

To be fair this is a bit prejudiced (positively) as it was our wedding. Having said that they did everything it said on the tin plus a bit. Not only did the ceremony go like clockwork but the food was very, very good and the service (led by Holly and Declan) excellent.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear John,

We are pleased your wedding at the Mercure Bush Hotel was a great success and send you all best wishes for the future.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Mercure is right in the town centre yet once you walk through into the courtyard you could be anywhere your imagination wanted to take you, apart from somewhere hot, as this is England in October
We booked a superior room, which had a door opening onto the garden, unfortunately it was locked and there was no key. As it is mid October and we were only there for one night this was not a problem for us, but if you have the facility of a patio door then you should be able to use it.
The room itself was not as big as I would have expected though it had everything you needed, safe, tea and coffee and an expresso machine and a very comfy bed.
The main building is full of timber beams and period features with a nice lounge and bar, the breakfast room was a bit dated but that added to its charm and the choice of breakfast was good. I had the traditional bacon and eggs etc which was excellent.
We did not use the bar or restaurant so I cannot comment on prices or the menu, as we were in the town centre there are plenty of pubs and restaurants to choose from.
All in all this is a good character town centre hotel for around the same price as the usual suspects.

Room Tip: Ask for a room opening onto the garden

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, the room facilities and the breakfast you had with us.

Our restaurant offers a nice variety of dishes and at good value for money; £16.50 for 2 courses and £19.50 for three courses, so well worth a try for next time. We also do a large variety of bar dishes as well.

Thank you again for your kind comments. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for a friends wedding (held 5 miles away) and had a really great experience at this hotel - our room was lovely and spacious with everything we could need. The bed was great with a feather duvet and pillows and the great quality curtains and late check-out time (midday) meant we could enjoy a brilliant lie-in after our late night. The staff were all lovely and only too happy to help us with a taxi booking. The parts of the hotel we saw were well decorated and equipped and the hotel is in a nice central location. I was far more impressed than I expected to be.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Laura,

Thank you very much for your review following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are pleased that we were able to impress you and that you had a great experience with regards to your room, the service, the location, as well as the decor and the equipment.
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and bringing a positive message to the attention of other potential guests.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Tony Tijhuis, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Premier Inn Farnham
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
#1 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!