“Nice but Noisy”

Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Reviewed 24 November 2013

A very nice traditional hotel with a good central location. The public rooms are well furnished and decorated. Our room was a little tired but still comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. Good service and a wider choice of food than many higher rated hotels. Odd to see a model Airbus A380 taking off from the fruit bowl. I suppose every hotel has to have a unique feature.

The only problem was the noise. Our room seemed to be located above the bar and dining room. We heard no noise from fellow guests it was all from the hotels sound system. On Saturday it stopped at in the early hours of Sunday. Only to start again at exactly 7AM on Sunday morning. I cannot think guests want pop music at 7AM on a Sunday. Perhaps the staff like the music.

I have stayed at quite a few Mercure hotels. Lille Opera, Baltimore Paris, Beauvau Marseille, Dolphin Southampton, Piccadilly Manchester and Queens Cheltenham. On the whole the food and service is better than many for the price and star rating. They also do a good job of renovating and looking after many historic hotel buildings.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback following your recent stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
It is always a pleasure to read positive feedback, especially with regards to the service and the breakfast selection.

We do apologize for the noise disturbance that arose on the Sunday morning. We normally switch our background music in our reception area and bar on from 9am and wouldn't play this loud at any time. I am therefore sorry that you could hear it and earlier in the morning.
Your feedback will help us to avoid this in the future.

I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay and we hope to see you back soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just stayed at "The Bush" in Farnham for 2 nights for my cousin's wedding, which took place nearby, not at the hotel itself. It's in the town centre so it's convenient for restaurants, pubs etc.

The staff were great in reception, in the bar, the restaurant and the cleaners too. They won't let you down! The rooms were comfortable and cosy but we had a problem which other members of our party encountered too....flushing the toilets in the rooms!

There is an art to this which we had to develop. A straightforward flush didn't work; one had to do a preliminary flush followed by a second more forceful flush right down which usually worked, although sometimes a third flush was necessary.

As this was the only gripe that we had, then we obviously enjoyed our stay, so this is a hotel which I would recommend and stay at again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, the cosy and clean rooms, as well as the staff service you experienced and the convenient location of the hotel.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the niggle in the bathrooms and have been checking any improvements that can be made to some of the flushes. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 9 November 2013

As a regular customer of the Bush Hotel over 37 years, it has seen many changes, not always for the better. However, the present management team, particularly the manager & the Hungarian venues manager are doing an excellent job. Hard working, efficient, inspiring to staff, they exude the desire to focus on customer service. On Saturday 2 November, my family and I went for coffee. There was a wedding on and the hotel was very busy. The young bar tender, Guy, coped admirably with the pressure, particularly with a very difficult customer, who he handled impeccably. More staff are needed when events are being held as all customers deserve a quality of service, but well done, it is good to see the vast improvements.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review of the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We appreciate your regular custom to our hotel and are extremely pleased that you like the changes we have been making to the hotel over the last year.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and will serve as a great encouragement as we continue to improve on our services further. I will pass your feedback to the team and in particular to Zsolt and Guy.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed there on the 02/11/13 as my sister was having a party in the town and my Niece suggested staying there. I was on my own and my brother and his wife also booked a room. On entering the hotel there was a wedding on and people everywhere not that I mind that but it was hard with cases to get through the narrow corridors to reception. On the way to my room I could not help but notice the worn out carpet and the place looked dark and dirty.
When I opened the door to my room I could smell stale tobacco, I went to reception to ask to be moved but they only had one room left on the next floor up, being on my own I wanted to be on the same floor as my brother. So I said I would stay if someone could spray the room with air freshener ( which did not happen).
The room its self was clean enough a little tired may be but it did stink!
We went to my sisters party which was in walking distance and returned about 11.50 pm we had to find a bar man as the bar was unmanned I work in the retail business and I was not impressed by the service the bar man gave us he was so rude.
The breakfast was good no complaints, they could serve wheat or gluten free bread.
On checking out the girl was so nice a change from the day before. My brother had food put onto his bill that he did not order. It was taken off and we left.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angela C

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel last week.
I apologize for the tobacco smell in the room. All of our bedrooms are non smoking and I am sorry that despite this the smell of tobacco was present and had not been eliminated.

With regards to the bar staff, I was surprised to read your comments and will discuss it with the team involved to avoid re-occurrences.
On the other hand, we are very pleased that you liked our breakfast and the service received from our reception team in the morning.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon to experience a hassle free stay.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We went here today for morning coffee, hoping to stay on for bar food at lunchtime (there being a function on which meant we could not eat in the restaurant). Pleasant surroundings, lots of parking nearby and at the hotel itself, charming old fashioned décor in the lounge and hall areas. Staff were hard at work setting up for the event, so it took a while to find someone to take our coffee order, however they coped fine with a complicated order. So as a place for a morning coffee, it was OK ... except for the dreadful, overpowering smell of sick in the lounge. It seemed worse in certain areas and was made more acute when chairs were moved about. Fortunately, the elderly people in our group didn't notice it, however the rest of us couldn't wait to leave. We went along the road to the Slug and Lettuce for lunch instead. When I mentioned the smell to the girl on reception, she seemed unaware of it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RedQuince

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review following your visit to the lounge of our hotel last week.
I am glad that you were pleased with the services received and that your order was all fine. We do apologize for the smell that you experienced. Unfortunately a small child had been unwell on several places in our lounge prior to finally reaching our bathrooms.
Although our housekeeping team did a great job in cleaning up, this type of accident does leave an unpleasant odour in carpets that does remain for some time despite decent attempts to clean up and remove it. We therefore requested a professional carpet cleaner to come in later that day to eleviate the situation further.
We are sorry it inconvenienced you and do hope to be able to welcome you back under nicer circumstances.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Mike K

Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Premier Inn Farnham
#5 of 6 in Farnham
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
#1 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!