“Average business hotel that needs to pay attention to details” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel

Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
London
“Average business hotel that needs to pay attention to details”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

There is nothing that bad about the hotel. The bedroom was a decent size, with comfortable bed and nice bathroom, free wifi etc. lounge nice too with real fire. Right in the centre of Farnham, so this is where you want to be, this might well be the best choice for you. Clean room, ok decor

However the reason I am not that impressed was a few details that need some attention. Here goes -
- our room was really cold when we arrived and it took some time to heat up. We had to put up with cold air blasting out. To be fair, someone came quite quickly to attend to it, and by that time the air was beginning to warm up. It's just that it wasn't a warm welcome. Would it hurt to keep the heating on low when you have guests coming that afternoon? It is December!
- the corridor outside our room was also distinctly cold.
- only one towel for the two of us
- we had to wait in a queue for 12 minutes for breakfast, which is not great. Yes, it was probably a peak time, but they could have been a bit more customer friendly in how this was dealt with
- breakfast table to small. And too few staff attending. I had to put my dirty plate on the floor. You need to employ more staff.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay last weekend.
The hotel is indeed a nice place to be.

I would like to apologize for the fact that your room could have been warmer upon arrival. We do have an agreed standard for our bedroom temperatures and will continue to monitor that these are adhered to so that any drop in temperatures outside are not affecting the guest experience.

We were indeed very busy for breakfast last Sunday and everybody happened to come at the same time. We will try to entice guests to come at earlier timings to eleviate the pressure between 9.15 and 10am and to ensure we improve the guest experience further.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.

Tony Tijhuis, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Turkish first
Worcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

A very nice traditional hotel with a good central location. The public rooms are well furnished and decorated. Our room was a little tired but still comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. Good service and a wider choice of food than many higher rated hotels. Odd to see a model Airbus A380 taking off from the fruit bowl. I suppose every hotel has to have a unique feature.

The only problem was the noise. Our room seemed to be located above the bar and dining room. We heard no noise from fellow guests it was all from the hotels sound system. On Saturday it stopped at in the early hours of Sunday. Only to start again at exactly 7AM on Sunday morning. I cannot think guests want pop music at 7AM on a Sunday. Perhaps the staff like the music.

I have stayed at quite a few Mercure hotels. Lille Opera, Baltimore Paris, Beauvau Marseille, Dolphin Southampton, Piccadilly Manchester and Queens Cheltenham. On the whole the food and service is better than many for the price and star rating. They also do a good job of renovating and looking after many historic hotel buildings.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback following your recent stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
It is always a pleasure to read positive feedback, especially with regards to the service and the breakfast selection.

We do apologize for the noise disturbance that arose on the Sunday morning. We normally switch our background music in our reception area and bar on from 9am and wouldn't play this loud at any time. I am therefore sorry that you could hear it and earlier in the morning.
Your feedback will help us to avoid this in the future.

I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay and we hope to see you back soon.
Stoke-on-Trent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just stayed at "The Bush" in Farnham for 2 nights for my cousin's wedding, which took place nearby, not at the hotel itself. It's in the town centre so it's convenient for restaurants, pubs etc.

The staff were great in reception, in the bar, the restaurant and the cleaners too. They won't let you down! The rooms were comfortable and cosy but we had a problem which other members of our party encountered too....flushing the toilets in the rooms!

There is an art to this which we had to develop. A straightforward flush didn't work; one had to do a preliminary flush followed by a second more forceful flush right down which usually worked, although sometimes a third flush was necessary.

As this was the only gripe that we had, then we obviously enjoyed our stay, so this is a hotel which I would recommend and stay at again if I was in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, the cosy and clean rooms, as well as the staff service you experienced and the convenient location of the hotel.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the niggle in the bathrooms and have been checking any improvements that can be made to some of the flushes. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

As a regular customer of the Bush Hotel over 37 years, it has seen many changes, not always for the better. However, the present management team, particularly the manager & the Hungarian venues manager are doing an excellent job. Hard working, efficient, inspiring to staff, they exude the desire to focus on customer service. On Saturday 2 November, my family and I went for coffee. There was a wedding on and the hotel was very busy. The young bar tender, Guy, coped admirably with the pressure, particularly with a very difficult customer, who he handled impeccably. More staff are needed when events are being held as all customers deserve a quality of service, but well done, it is good to see the vast improvements.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review of the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We appreciate your regular custom to our hotel and are extremely pleased that you like the changes we have been making to the hotel over the last year.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and will serve as a great encouragement as we continue to improve on our services further. I will pass your feedback to the team and in particular to Zsolt and Guy.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Mullingar, Westmeath, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed there on the 02/11/13 as my sister was having a party in the town and my Niece suggested staying there. I was on my own and my brother and his wife also booked a room. On entering the hotel there was a wedding on and people everywhere not that I mind that but it was hard with cases to get through the narrow corridors to reception. On the way to my room I could not help but notice the worn out carpet and the place looked dark and dirty.
When I opened the door to my room I could smell stale tobacco, I went to reception to ask to be moved but they only had one room left on the next floor up, being on my own I wanted to be on the same floor as my brother. So I said I would stay if someone could spray the room with air freshener ( which did not happen).
The room its self was clean enough a little tired may be but it did stink!
We went to my sisters party which was in walking distance and returned about 11.50 pm we had to find a bar man as the bar was unmanned I work in the retail business and I was not impressed by the service the bar man gave us he was so rude.
The breakfast was good no complaints, they could serve wheat or gluten free bread.
On checking out the girl was so nice a change from the day before. My brother had food put onto his bill that he did not order. It was taken off and we left.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Angela C
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel last week.
I apologize for the tobacco smell in the room. All of our bedrooms are non smoking and I am sorry that despite this the smell of tobacco was present and had not been eliminated.

With regards to the bar staff, I was surprised to read your comments and will discuss it with the team involved to avoid re-occurrences.
On the other hand, we are very pleased that you liked our breakfast and the service received from our reception team in the morning.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon to experience a hassle free stay.

Tony Tijhuis, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Farnham hotels

Fleet, Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We went here today for morning coffee, hoping to stay on for bar food at lunchtime (there being a function on which meant we could not eat in the restaurant). Pleasant surroundings, lots of parking nearby and at the hotel itself, charming old fashioned décor in the lounge and hall areas. Staff were hard at work setting up for the event, so it took a while to find someone to take our coffee order, however they coped fine with a complicated order. So as a place for a morning coffee, it was OK ... except for the dreadful, overpowering smell of sick in the lounge. It seemed worse in certain areas and was made more acute when chairs were moved about. Fortunately, the elderly people in our group didn't notice it, however the rest of us couldn't wait to leave. We went along the road to the Slug and Lettuce for lunch instead. When I mentioned the smell to the girl on reception, she seemed unaware of it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RedQuince
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review following your visit to the lounge of our hotel last week.
I am glad that you were pleased with the services received and that your order was all fine. We do apologize for the smell that you experienced. Unfortunately a small child had been unwell on several places in our lounge prior to finally reaching our bathrooms.
Although our housekeeping team did a great job in cleaning up, this type of accident does leave an unpleasant odour in carpets that does remain for some time despite decent attempts to clean up and remove it. We therefore requested a professional carpet cleaner to come in later that day to eleviate the situation further.
We are sorry it inconvenienced you and do hope to be able to welcome you back under nicer circumstances.

Tony Tijhuis, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
BEST WESTERN Frensham Pond Hotel
#3 of 6 in Farnham
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!