“It's an aircrew haunt.. ”

Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for one night due to a diversion. It was clearly short notice due weather and we weren't the only crews there. The place an oldie, and verging on a goodie too. Only complaint was the noise from the bar downstairs (rowdy pilots and flight attendants) which isn't entirely the hotels fault. It is also right smack in the middle of a nice town which is a big plus.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Bush Hotel.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you also like its location in the middle of the town centre. We don't tend to get a lot of noise from our bars, but in December, this does increase somewhat as it would in many other hotels, due to the busy Christmas season.
We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future and wish you a very happy New Year.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

On arrival not easy to see reception desk. Reception staff average...not really wanting to do much more than had too and that really did come across.
Our room was fine. Rest of Hotel really does need cleaning up and revamped. Yes I know its an old Hotel , but other Hotels have done it. I can see possibly why people book here as its very central as its in town and has a good size car park.

Our evening meal was fine as it was a pre booked set menu for a group of aprox 35 people in a private room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suzielovesfood

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It was pleasing to see that you enjoyed your room and your evening meal in your group of 35 guests.
I appreciate your feedback that some of the corridor decor still needs to be updated, but do hope you liked the new decor on the ground floor, which was redone in April 2013.
We have discussed your feedback regarding reception to ensure everybody is very committed to provide a very nice hospitality.
All best wishes for 2014 & we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We just attended a Charity evening dinner and dance .Whilst we enjoyed the convenient and congenial central town location, the food was very substandard.
I guess when you serve roast turkey in a square lump with watery cold gravy, hard cold sprouts and a baked Alaska served only as a blob of ice cream, you realize that you better turn to drinking for be on a safer wicket for the evening!! Alas I was stumped by the "cant be asked" and "under sufferance"barman, and given "out" by overpriced wine tasting of well, lets say a cheap brand vinegar. On the night, we were well and truly beaten by the hotel spin!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank RickyTicker

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review following your meal at the Bush Hotel.
I was sorry to read that you didn't enjoy it and in particularly the turkey and our dessert, which was in fact home made.
We generally receive very positive feedback regarding our service and apologize for the fact that you didn't like our bar man's attitude, nor the quality of the wine that you chose of our wine list.
Hospitality is very important to us and your feedback was discussed with our service team to avoid re-occurrences.
We passed on your feedback to our head office food & beverage team, who specially selected our wine list for the Christmas season.
They would all like to be associated with my apology.
May I assure you that we will continue to focus on our quality and may I take this opportunity of wishing you all the best for 2014.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel is a combination beautiful old town centre building charm alongside a looking new(ish) block. Our room was a decent size, comfortable and maybe a little warmer than we preferred. There was a function going on in the old building and the décor was classy and glitzy, as were some of the guests. Our room, however, did lack some small refinements, such as a shower that we couldn't stop from dripping, or the considerable amount of condensation on the window ledge in the morning possibly from a lack of ventilation (that room was hot!!) and an unbelievably loud fire alarm that went off at in the late afternoon (false alarm, someone told us). Oh yes, the considerable room rate didn't include breakfast, watch out for that one.
I'm not trying to put people off this hotel, we've stayed in much worse, but some attention to details is needed to make this a quality option

Room Tip: Check whether your room price includes breakfast, it's an expensive addition, if you choose to a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SteveByfleet

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are pleased to read that you liked the location, the room and also our decor.
However, we are sorry that you shower was dripping and that the fire alarm went of.
The alarm is there for everybody's safety and it is very rare that we have an occasion whereby it goes of. We will continue to refine our standards and quality and hope to be able to welcome you back in 2014.
Kindest regards and all best wishes for the New Year.

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a Saturday night. I should have known as soon as I tried to book in at reception. I stood there for 20 mins tapping the bell. When someone did come along there was no apology, nothing. When I got to the room I phoned down for some spare towels, 14 mins later someone picked the phone up & dropped back down straight away. I tried again. After 5 mins I got someone. I asked for a spare set of towels & a universal phone charger as a service offered. I was told they had none & go to sainsbury,s. service = zero points. No towels ever arrived. The hotel could be beautiful if money spent but it's old & worn. Carpets are thread bare, rooms need updating, bathrooms disgusting. Next visit four seasons or travel lodge at least I would be paying for what I get. We used to live there & had some wonderful visits but alas never again. Very poor indeed, we even considered leaving at 2355hrs and driving home, that must tell you all about this visit.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kingsown
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay last Saturday.
I am sorry to read that you your experience did not meet your expectations and I apologize sincerely for this.

It would love to get the opportunity of discussing your experience in person. To that extend, please do feel free to e-mail me your contact details to Tony.Tijhuis@accor.com and I will contact you at a time of your convenience.

Once again, thank you for your review and I hope to be able to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

There is nothing that bad about the hotel. The bedroom was a decent size, with comfortable bed and nice bathroom, free wifi etc. lounge nice too with real fire. Right in the centre of Farnham, so this is where you want to be, this might well be the best choice for you. Clean room, ok decor

However the reason I am not that impressed was a few details that need some attention. Here goes -
- our room was really cold when we arrived and it took some time to heat up. We had to put up with cold air blasting out. To be fair, someone came quite quickly to attend to it, and by that time the air was beginning to warm up. It's just that it wasn't a warm welcome. Would it hurt to keep the heating on low when you have guests coming that afternoon? It is December!
- the corridor outside our room was also distinctly cold.
- only one towel for the two of us
- we had to wait in a queue for 12 minutes for breakfast, which is not great. Yes, it was probably a peak time, but they could have been a bit more customer friendly in how this was dealt with
- breakfast table to small. And too few staff attending. I had to put my dirty plate on the floor. You need to employ more staff.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay last weekend.
The hotel is indeed a nice place to be.

I would like to apologize for the fact that your room could have been warmer upon arrival. We do have an agreed standard for our bedroom temperatures and will continue to monitor that these are adhered to so that any drop in temperatures outside are not affecting the guest experience.

We were indeed very busy for breakfast last Sunday and everybody happened to come at the same time. We will try to entice guests to come at earlier timings to eleviate the pressure between 9.15 and 10am and to ensure we improve the guest experience further.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

A very nice traditional hotel with a good central location. The public rooms are well furnished and decorated. Our room was a little tired but still comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. Good service and a wider choice of food than many higher rated hotels. Odd to see a model Airbus A380 taking off from the fruit bowl. I suppose every hotel has to have a unique feature.

The only problem was the noise. Our room seemed to be located above the bar and dining room. We heard no noise from fellow guests it was all from the hotels sound system. On Saturday it stopped at in the early hours of Sunday. Only to start again at exactly 7AM on Sunday morning. I cannot think guests want pop music at 7AM on a Sunday. Perhaps the staff like the music.

I have stayed at quite a few Mercure hotels. Lille Opera, Baltimore Paris, Beauvau Marseille, Dolphin Southampton, Piccadilly Manchester and Queens Cheltenham. On the whole the food and service is better than many for the price and star rating. They also do a good job of renovating and looking after many historic hotel buildings.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback following your recent stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
It is always a pleasure to read positive feedback, especially with regards to the service and the breakfast selection.

We do apologize for the noise disturbance that arose on the Sunday morning. We normally switch our background music in our reception area and bar on from 9am and wouldn't play this loud at any time. I am therefore sorry that you could hear it and earlier in the morning.
Your feedback will help us to avoid this in the future.

I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay and we hope to see you back soon.
Tony Tijhuis, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Frensham Pond Country house hotel & Spa
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
Travelodge Aldershot Hotel

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!