“Poor customer service”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Poor customer service”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I sometimes wonder how reviews can vary, and having re-visited this hotel following a successful trip last year I now see why.

We used this hotel as a Saturday evening stopover during our weekend at Goodwood FOS. I emailed a few days prior to our arrival checking our room reservation and advised of our arrival time. Hotel Sales Manager duly emailed back and confirmed all ok.

What she failed to tell us was there would be a 'Town Centre' & road closures from 5.30 to 7.30pm, right across our arrival time of 6-7pm! This created a massive tailback from the Goodwood traffic, and we queued from nearly 45mins to be told by the local police to head back out of town and arrive an hour later! (Hotel is right in centre of Town).

After a very long day, this was the last thing we wanted to do, so headed round the opposite side of Town & parked up somewhere, walking in but having to then return later to collect the car.

To be fair the Duty Manager apologised profusely (admitting guests should had been warned), and gave us a room rate reduction, but the damage was done. To rub salt in the wound the Sales Manager then emailed me after our return advising she was on the Carnival team but blamed the weather!

The room was allegedly an upgrade, and whilst nice in the older part of the hotel, and did have air conditioning but was nothing special and also not as nice as the room we had last year - I had specifically requested a room in the same block. (We didn't get as a room change had also been done prior to our arrival from my request). The hairdryer was a hazard, an old one taken off the bathroom wall but left in the drawer with the old wall attachment left on and smelt like it was going to blow up. There were no tea bags in the room either,but we had gotten fed up of complaining by this time.

My ratings are therefore lower on this occasion, as we felt so let down.

Very disappointing,and big note if thinking of using for Goodwood FOS, ensure not the Carnival weekend and give Farnham a massive miss!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Mercure Fanham Bush Hotel.
I was sorry to read about your disappointment with your stay. Our reservations manager should have highlighted that the carnival would take place that afternoon so that you would have been aware of the situation and able to decide what alternative time to come.

On previous carnival days the police have never closed roads for long periods. They generally use temporary road closures of less than half an hour, whereby roads are re-opened as soon as the carnival cars have passed. On this occasion they kept the roads closed for a longer time, which was far more inconvenient. This was as a result of poor weather earlier in the day, which had caused damage to the carnival vehicles, which were subsequently being repaired to look nice again. This was not part of the planning and caused long delays, which is what our manager explained to you. This doesn't take away from the fact that we should have prewarned you that the carnival was on in the first place and for that we were all very sorry.

I had also noted your feedback regarding the hair dryer and the tea and have taken the necessary actions for replacements and to avoid re-occurrence.
Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I hope I get the opportunity of welcoming you back for a hassle free experience the next time you return to the local area.

Yours sincerely,

Tony Tijhuis, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights while on business in Farnham. It's set smack bang in the centre with every amenity a very short walk away. The room I had I found very nice, it was like stepping back in time. I'm certain it's not to everyone's tastes but I found it a welcome change from the typical chain hotel, and the decor fits in nicely with the surrounding area, and the exterior of the building, very cosy indeed! The staff were all very friendly and helpful particularly Rebecca on reception, as I had an issue with a room service order not being delivered however she was extremely professional, polite and solved my issue quickly and to my satisfaction. The negatives? The rooms could probably do with a little touching up with a paint brush, and I would've loved air conditioning in my room as it was so hot I had to sleep with the window open (fortunately it's very quiet) although it could be something to do with the building and they may not be allowed to install it, I don't know. As previously mentioned I did have an issue with my room service order being forgotten, but it was sorted out very quickly, I often find that when mistakes happen, it's how they're dealt with that determines the difference between poor to average service, and exceptional service. Overall, it's a lovely hotel, set in peaceful, beautiful surroundings, not everyone will go for the old style decoration, but personally I found it very pleasing, hence why I would be more than happy to stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed it and appreciate your feedback regarding our customer service. I will pass on your comments to Rebecca, which I am confident will motivate her.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Tony Tijhuis, General Manager
uk
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding. Positives always first. The outside of the building looks good, and inside the reception and general decor looks lovely. As you drive in to the hotel car park you get a feeling that the hotel is going to be good, The gardens create a feeling like you are in a hidden space you never would know was there in Farnham. The location meant that at night time it was nice and quiet which was great. The negatives. The room we had needed an update, the corridors and the room looked a little bit shabby at the edges and seems over due for a refurbishment. The bathroom had cracked tiles on the floor and the shower head unfortunately was covered with limescale. My only other complaint is with the pillows on the bed, they were rock hard! Overall not a bad night stop, and not bad for a three star hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
I am pleased to read that you liked our gardens, which offer a nice calm setting for our hotel.

I also note your feedback regarding the room, which will be updated soon. Whilst this is being sorted, we have meanwhile organized for the bathroom floor to be retiled and apologize it had some cracks in it.

We will continue to further improve on our facilities and do hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Brit near Oxford
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the Mercure Bush Farnham for 2 nights for our daughters wedding nearby. For a 3 star hotel the accommodation is good- our room in the old part was spacious comfortable and had air conditioning. The lounge and bar were ideal for relaxation and TV in bar (and outside at times) showed World Cup. The gardens and courtyard provide tranquil areas away from the bustle of the high street. The breakfast choice is great for a 3 star and buffet style means it meets your own needs without being rushed. All staff were polite and very helpful.
Would we return(the acid test)? Yes definitely.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old part tend to be larger but avoid a room fronting the high street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bian01
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
I am very glad you enjoyed your stay very much and that you liked your room, our breakfast offerings, the bar and our very calm gardens.
I also passed on your kind feedback regarding our staff to our team, which is always a good motivator.
We hope you enjoyed your daughter's wedding nearby and hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Elstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed for a week with my family whilst relocating from abroad. We had a family room with a double bed and a double sofa bed. The room was in the modern bit of the hotel, overlooking the car park. Surprisingly quiet! The room decor was ok. Nothing bad butt nothing great either. The mattress on the double bed was ok. The room had all the basic mod cons most hotels have: coffee/tea facilities, extra pillows/blankets, tv, desk, power points, ironing board, iron and toiletries. At check in we were given the run through the various things on offer including timings for breakfast (at no point anyone pointed out that this was extra!). Breakfast was ok. Cereals, pastries, toast, jams, fruit (of the canned variety), cooked breakfast (ok but nothing great), yoghurt and coffee/tea and juices. Breakfast is self service, apart for hot beverages. The restaurant is in a beautiful room overlooking the garden. Service is ok, but nobody gets out of their way to give any extra help/suggestion. We had dinner a couple of times and the food was ok. The bar is ok but there is little sitting/standing space, particularly when an event is on. I believe the old part of the hotel has refurbished rooms. Our end, the more modern one was ok, but some of the carpets/furnishings were showing their age. All in all a good stay, convenient for the town. The hotel has on site parking. Considering the size of the facility, it's great location and the large amount of people that use it, it could do with being kept up a bit better and staff trained to be more courteous and helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Iside26
Dear guest,

Thank you for your deatiled feedback following your stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and take your feedback on board to further enhance our product and services.

I hope you family are meanwhile nicely settled back into the UK and that you we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel for any future visits you may have.

Kindest regards,

Devon, UK
Reviewed 10 June 2014

On the positive side, the breakfast buffet was good, and the bedding and the toilet were clean!

Mostly though, the whole hotel looks just a bit grubby. We tried to keep an open mind, but at this price point there are definitely better places to stay. It was passable. The building itself is quite attractive and our rooms were quiet, barring the 5-7am heating system noises from the hot water piping nearby.

We were placed in rooms close together, which was considerate. Visually the room is modern, but on closer inspection there is build up of what appears to be a long term lack of care for cleaning (bathroom grout had ground in dirt/mould, bath panel rusty, carpet mostly discoloured, and the head boards in both rooms have greasy marks). We mopped the floor in the bathroom on arrival and it was grey.

Bear in mind that these are "executive" rooms. The sofa bed was worse than Ikea's basic so don't rely on that. Our dog was allowed to stay in the room for a cleaning charge (oh the irony), but to be honest I felt quite bad she had to sleep on a floor that I wouldn't walk on with bare feet.

We did highlight problems on departure and the receptionist was very understanding and suggested they may have been able to improve the situation if they had been told earlier, so this is probably a good idea for others thinking of staying there.

Room Tip: Rooms 217 and 218 were pretty basic despite being executive rooms, and are both by the hot water sys...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ffordy
Dear guest,

Thank you for feeding back regarding your stay at the Bush Hotel.
It appreciate all constructive feedback and I would like to apologize for the shortcomings received. I checked the room and we have meanwhile regrouted the bathroom floor and painted the bathroom panel to bring it back to its original standard. We have also installed a new shower head and put a new strip on the bathroom panel to bring it all back to the original standard.

I was surprised to read your feedback regarding the carpet, as it had in fact been properly cleaned not long before your stay, but we ensured this was done again to avoid any such further shortcomings.

Once again, I do appreciate your feedback and I hope we do have the opportunity of welcoming you back to experience a hassle free stay in the future.

Tony Tijhuis

Travellers are raving about these Farnham hotels

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were staying as part of a wedding party and were fortunate to have one of the premium rooms overlooking the garden. The hotel is well positioned in the centre of town and an easy walk to the shops. The service in the hotel was excellent. Room clean and looked after, as were the grounds and common areas. It's very easy to criticise but the hotel is graded 3 star and certainly offers a lot more than that.

Well done the Farnham Bush Hotel!!

Room Tip: if the pocket is deep enough, go for the premium rooms!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
TonyTijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback following your recent stay at the Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel.
I am pleased to read that you were well looked after in all areas and that you enjoyed your stay.
It would give me great pleasure to get the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
Once again, thank you for writing your review.

Tony Tijhuis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Best Western Frensham Pond Hotel
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England

Been to Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel? Share your experiences!