“close but no cigar”

The Mulberry
Ranked #10 of 127 Restaurants in Farnham
Price range: US$6 - US$33
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Mulberry Farnham caters for a variety of customers, with cosy fireplaces and sofas for intimate gatherings, 17 delicious homemade gourmet burgers, a large area for parties and great buffet food, somewhere to relax and unwind at the end of a busy day in the office and a place where you can let loose and dance to live music and phenomenal DJ's.The Mulberry boasts the largest beer garden in central Farnham split into 3 levels. The upper area is laid to grass and can seat 200, often used for BBQs and charity events, and includes a childrens play area. The lower area can seat up to 100 and we have a completely covered area immediately adjacent to the pub with a large screen television.The Mulberry offers 17 fantastic Gourmet burgers as well as ribs, buckets of spicy chicken wings and calamari, salads, baguettes and our legendary Bad Boy plank, all in all embracing everything that is American! We also have a lunch time menu, Monday to Friday, for those who prefer something lighter and a children's menu with some very unique desserts including the Flower Pot, Mars Attacks and Seven Sins.The Mulberry prides itself in only using the best quality products in all our food. Our meat comes from Morgans of Farnham and the mincemeat used in the burgers has been ground to our chefs own recipe. Our vegetables are sourced from G. Hone and our speciality products and cheeses are from La Espanola. All our baps and bread is baked fresh for us and supplied by Loaf of Farnham. If you are thinking of holding a party The Mulberry offers a multitude of platters, bowl food, nibbles or canapes. We also cater for BBQ's for parties or for smaller gatherings. If there is anything specific that is required The Mulberry kitchen team are always available to discuss and provide the perfect culinary solution.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“close but no cigar”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Im not sure if I was just unlucky with my meal at the mulberry. I had the 'hot momma', I think, and it was definitely hot! the sauce was nice and there were plenty of jalapenos but my burger was way overdone, maybe this was just a blip as most reviews say how good they are.

the sweet potato fries are the same as all the other ones that I have ever had so maybe they are bought in? I could be wrong.

my beer was good and the pub itself as well as the staff are lovely. just a shame about the burger.

• Visited June 2014
Quelch, Owner at The Mulberry, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback but of course sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your burger. All our burgers are cooked to medium as the menu states so I am at a loss as to why yours was cooked to well done. I can assure you my head chef lets out a loud scream when ever he is requested to cook to "well done" or charred as he calls it! I can only apologise that you did not leave feeling 100% about our burgers, as you rightly point out, most people love them. Please do try us again and give us another opportunity to prove you wrong! Do ask for myself Jonathan or Charlie and we will ensure you have the best dining experience and the best burger! Thank you for your feedback.

Fleet, England, United Kingdom
“Great menu, terrible service”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Treated to a visit for Father's Day. I have long wished to visit this restaurant, and we booked for lunch. As I had hoped, the food was superb, and the environment was both interesting and well laid out. Big issue for us was having ordered 5 meals, only 4 arrived! The waiter apologised, asked again what the 5th meal was and promised to get it to the table as soon as possible, but didn't offer to take the other 4 meals and keep them warm, which I thought odd, as we we had all hoped to eat together. When the meal did arrive 10 minutes later (with wrong fries) needless to say the other 4 were not at their best. Added the fact that we had to ask for new cutlery as the originals were filthy, and our difficulty in getting drink refills, we were distinctly underwhelmed.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Graham B
Quelch, Owner at The Mulberry, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
I was sorry to learn of the bad experience you had. I understand there was a technical problem with our tills sending through the order to the kitchen. Unfortunately these things very very occasionally happen. All staff have now been briefed to ensure any food orders that are taken are checked with the kitchen to avoid this happening again. I am glad you enjoyed your food but sorry your experience was marred by an unfortunate break down in our technology! We hope to welcome you again where I can guarantee you would be well looked after. Thank you for your feedback.
Lima, Peru
“A lack of respect”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Yesterday a friend and I drove all the way from London to visit the shop of The Squires Kitchen, after that we decided to stop dor lunch in The Mulberry, following the good reviews read here. My bad review is not about the quality of the food but about our experience in the restaurant. As normal, we sat and waited for somebody to come and take our order so a lady came and we ordered and after a while, the same lady comes and asked us for a credir card as a "guarantee" for our order, we didnt understand what she meant untill she explained that she wanted to hold a credit card untill we pay, using the payment method we chose. I've never been so mistreated by a place suggesting in this cheap way that we were not trustworthy....we decided to pay in cash at that moment and not to hand a cc for hours into someone unknown, and in a completely surreal situation. So we did and tried to ignore the big offense. After some time a group of young men came and told us we have to leave because they needed to move the furniture for a party that was booked there, and it is a big place. As you can imagine, we left feeling a but confused about our experience in this place. If there was a limit for someone to stay in a restaurant, shouldnt we have been informed before or at least, been invited to move to another area ? It is not nice to be kicked out at 5 pm....it was a normal time to have a coke in a Pub !!

It is a shame and a very bad way this place treated us, 2 ladies, having a chat and trying to have a bite in a pub/restaurant, never in my life I have been asked for a "guarantee" in a restaurant before and I consider this a major mistreat and lack of respect,

I will never como back again to this place nor recommend anybody to do so. I assume the manager will answer this review with some kind of excuse but there is no excuse or explanation here. Not a place were costumers are respected,

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank patriciaDubai
Quelch, Owner at The Mulberry, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
I am shocked by your review and very upset by this somewhat over sensitive reaction to something quite normal. I have owned The Mulberry for the last 4 years and we have always asked for a card when setting up a tab and never have we had one complaint. We keep the cards secure behind the bar and the customer is provided with a printed tab ticket from our tills. Clearly a common practice if our tills have a built in function for tabs!! The reason we do this is because we are first and foremost a pub (not a restaurant) and we have had cases where people have walked off without paying. Not all cases is it because they are after a free meal but simply because they forget, however I am out of pocket. The request by my member of staff was no slur or disrespect to yourselves. The staff are instructed to do this by me. Tabs are a common procedure in nearly all pubs. If you had queried it at the time we would have been happy to explain why.

The back room, where you chose to sit, is used every Saturday for our events. At 3pm a large blackboard is hung from the doorway into this room stating that the area is reserved from 5pm, as it was on your visit and you would have had to have ducked under this reserved sign in order to take your seat. You clearly did not bother to read this sign or chose to ignore it. As you say the pub is large and as such there were plenty of other tables available as the majority of our customers were outside enjoying the good weather. It was not explained that it was reserved as the sign is so obvious we assumed you had read it. As such when we had cleared your table it was politely explained to you by one of my managers and alternative seating was offered to you but I am advised by the staff member you were not fussed as you were leaving anyway.

I find it odd you did not mention any of your issues to one of my staff members particularly when you were asked on numerous occasions if everything was alright. Such a shame you have to hide behind here for something so unfair and petty.

As you will see from the other reviews we rarely have complaints and I was of course delighted that the food was up to our usual high standard.
lisajaneb
“New favourite pub restaurant!!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Discovered this place by chance when we got the train to Farnham instead of driving. Popped in for something to eat and we were instantly impressed with the line up of ales and ciders and the very friendly and welcoming bar staff. The food was superb too - one of the best burgers I have ever had! No music when we were there but they told us they often have live and DJ nights too. We will definitely be back soon!

1 Thank lisajaneb
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant party catering.”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had my husband's 40th birthday celebration here... never written a review on trip advisor before, but just had to review the mulberry as we were so impressed with the standard of the food, as well as the event organisation and attention to detail. Nothing was too much trouble for them, guests remarked that the buffet was one of the best they'd ever had.... price was very reasonable and I would definitely recommend it! Thank you everyone at the Mulberry, especially Charlie for all your hard work and patience!

• Visited May 2014