“An excellent find!!!”

The Bluebell
Ranked #20 of 127 Restaurants in Farnham
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“An excellent find!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having read some very good trip advisor reports we decided to visit the Bluebell. We were a mixed table of adults and children. We were not disappointed. This is a very lovely pub in a lovely setting with a varied menu and excellent food! Unfortunately we weren't able to sit in the well kept garden due to the weather, but were made to feel very welcome in the characterful interior! The Stilton burger was exceptional and the twice cooked chips delicious! Definitely will be visiting again!

Dear Housewifr,
thanks for your lovely review. We do look forward to seeing you again soon.

Fanham
“Bank holiday "weekend"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We visited the bluebell TWICE over the may bank holiday weekend, firstly on Saturday evening with friends for the "charley farley" band evening, what an amazing atmosphere, the friends we tagged along with visit regularly and rave about the food at the bluebell so we decided to give it a try on the monday, i must say i we were not disappointed, my wife and i arrived along with our son and his friend at 12:00 for our 12:15 table (luckily we did) we opted against starters (as i had already seen the dessert board) and i chose the pork belly & langostine, a huge piece of pork cooked beautifully with two huge langostines if im overly critical perhaps the portion was slightly too generous but that is not in my opinion detremental! My wife went for the polenta which looked amazing but truth be told i couldnt dream of ordering without any meat on my plate!!! The boys had burgers which looked very good and empty plates are always a positive! I had the lemon tart with lemon & thyme curd, very nice, my wife didnt choose a sweet but the boys both enjoyed the brownies. Overall i was very impressed with the food and i enjoyed the beer which i have tried and failed to remember the name! (Any hint of the name of the very light coloured ale would be appreciated).

Just a word of warning though as i have read from other reviews here, the bluebell does appear to get very busy as we were forewarned on saturday evening, so we took the booking time we were allocated, the standards were high and i am glad that our food wasnt rushed and substandard as is the case in many places we have visited! In our opinion the staff were doing their utmost to please everybody on a very busy day!

We will most certainly be returning and hopefully in the near future.
Many thanks to all at the bluebell and carry on the good work!

Dear JamesSampson,
thankyou so much for your very kind review, we were very busy that day (I'd advise any potential customers reading this to book, like you did!)
We look forward to seeing you again - (I reckon the beer was Moondance,buy the way, a local favourite.
Kingston-upon-Thames
“Gem of a pub in an idyllic setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I visited this pub on Bank Holiday Monday after a day's cycling, having received a recommendation from a friend.

I can't recommend it highly enough, having sampled both the food and drink service; Definitely the best pub food I've had in a long while. For cyclists it's an ideal spot with plenty of routes out, and there's ample parking for those travelling by car.

Children will be well entertained by the garden facilities and it's a very safe environment. A real credit to Robin and his family for turning the venue around!

Dear Nick,
thank you so much for your kind review, I'm sorry the weather wasn't so great for your visit and I do hope you pop in again when you're in the area.
South East England
“Lovely pub with dining, not so sure about the food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We booked a table for lunchtime recently for a family group which included four children, parents and grandparents. The pub is set in a lovely rural village with lawn, outside dining and a childrens play area. The inside is characterful. I only wish the food matched up! Two of the children had burger and chips. The portions were enormous, far too big for the average child. The chips were fried unskinned potato segments. The children weren't too keen at all, these not being their idea of 'chips', these are not children who regularly eat at fast food outlets either. One adult had a child's meal of 'monkfish tail scampi'. 'Scampi' is also on as a starter. The dish served was large pieces (small fillets) of breaded overcooked fish. Trading standards direct that the use of monkfish tail as scampi if not labelled as such is misleading. OK this had the label monkfish tail but what was served bore no resemblance to what most of us recognize as scampi. One child had pasta with tomato sauce, she turned her nose up a the first bite, a couple of the adults tried it and also turned their nose up saying it was very bitter and tasted as if a tin of chopped tomatoes had been poured over pasta, it didn't taste like a proper tomato sauce at all. A replacement dish of plain pasta with a side of grated smoked cheese was provided willingly . Others were somewhat more satisfied with their meal, including a nice Caesar salad. Service was friendly if somewhat slow. Perhaps we were just unlucky looking at other reviews.

Dear Annie,
thank you for your review.
With regards to your comments on food, I am a little surprised that you were upset that the kids portions were too big! We find it tricky with kids as we have children as old as 16 having the kids meals. The chips -we get rave reviews from lots of people for these, we refuse to buy frozen chips and clearly make our own, I'm sorry if your children didn't enjoy these - nothing was said at the time.
With the tomato pasta , lots of children have eaten and enjoyed this, as you said we replaced it quickly and will do this with any meal that customers do not enjoy -( it's not a tin of tomatoes poured over pasta?!)
Monktail scampi, the pub would be in trouble if we didn't label it monk tail scampi but they do call them monk tail scampi - I'm slightly confused?
It was like an overcooked fillet of fish - firstly it was cooked to perfection, I took this dish out to you and remember feeling envious it looked so good. If you expected it to be a fillet of fish you might have thought it was overcooked (as previously mentioned it's Monktail scampi - it has more bite to it than a fillet of fish!)
We do like to challenge ourselves with our food and the last thing we want to do is drop a bag of scampi into the fryer, we prepare our Monktail scampi ourselves and it has been very well received previously.
With regards to slightly slow service we were full, the garden was full too, so it may have taken a little while, I'm glad this didn't seem too much of an issue.
Thank you for indicating that other members of the group enjoyed their food. I do wish mention had been made at the time regarding your other comments - as you saw we deal with any issues professionally and quickly. I hope you visit again and give us another go.
Devon
“Good food, ok atmosphere, nice staff but a lengthy wait in a not that busy pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We ate here with a family group. Our orders were taken quickly, but the food didn't appear until 40 mins later in a pub that was less than half full. The food was tasty and we'll presented, the kids portion size and value good and the staff friendly and helpful. Overall an above average experience, but the wait spoilt things and the atmosphere (a little stark and sparsely furnished, not really a country pub) could have been better.

Dear RickDevon,
thank you for your review. Im not exactly sure of when you came in and waited 40 minutes, I can only apologise if this was the case. I do think the weekend was sunny and we have a large garden which can be deceptive with how busy we are. I don't remember having any complaints about food wait that weekend, so again I'm really sorry I can't be more accurate with my response.
I'm sorry the pub seems sparsely decorated, this is intentional, my wife a clear vision of how we want the pub to look and we're not really in to twee pictures or tacky bric a brac like some "country pubs." We have taken your comments on board and will look at what decor we might be able to add.