“Food. Limited Menu, ungenerous portions”
Review of The Bluebell

The Bluebell
Ranked #22 of 131 Restaurants in Farnham
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The staff are friendly and service is prompt and efficient. They try there best. The menu has very little choice unless you like burgers and chips. I chose the steak but chips were over cooked and they were in small pile beside the steak. There may have been eight in total.. It is a very boring menu will not bother again.

1  Thank knightsgofar

Dear Knightsgofar,

thank you for your review, I'm not sure if "staff try there(sic) best " is a compliment or slightly patronising, my staff work incredibly hard, are always very friendly and I'm exceptionally proud of them. I would also query the "limited menu." As I've stated on previous responses, this is a fresh food village pub. Our menu reflects this, it's also odd to state it's only worth going for a burger and then have steak?!
I think you have perfectly described what we're not (somewhere to go just for a burger.) :-
why not try the catch of the day, fish freshly delivered in the morning 6 days a week.
Or our Apricot Cous Cous with honey glazed figs
Or our cheese board, with 14 incredible local artisan cheeses
Or Duck "two ways"
Or Slow roasted garlic polenta.
Or Confit chicken and wild mushroom pie..
I could go on, (I would suggest customers check our website, with menus on, rather than taking too much notice of this review.)
With regards to the chips there were not 8 on your plate but as beef dripping chips for a healthy meal we will not put lots of chips on a plate, we are all about quality and taste here. The colour of the chips will have been influenced by the fact they were cooked in beef dripping.
I do understand this is your personal view and thank you for taking the time come here.

There are newer reviews for The Bluebell

Reviewed 30 May 2014

When we pulled up at The Bluebell it was raining hard. The journey we were on was long and boring and we just wanted to eat and stretch our legs. What a find! A beautiful country pub that really makes you feel at home as soon as you walk through the door. I had the biggest burger I've ever seen (outside USA) and it was presented vibrantly on slate to a standard you would find in a good London restaurant - tasting just as good as it looked. We sat for a couple of hours in the end but didn't really notice the time; enjoying the comfy sofas and admiring the many books and quirky bottles inhabiting the mantle piece. Having enquired to the welcoming Land Lady I'm told brewing runs in the family and that these were products of her grandparents-in-law. You can tell from the polite staff and prompt service that they know what they're doing and they do it well. I can thoroughly recommend to anyone in the area or travelling through - take a break at The Bluebell and add a touch of sunshine to your day (even if its raining hard outside :)

Dear Weeviewonder,
thank you so much for your positive review, we strive to give fantastic service and provide wonderful fresh and challenging food, even our burgers are that little bit different. We have so many great comments and it's so nice of you to spend the time to write these down for all to see. We look forward to seeing you again sometime soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having read some very good trip advisor reports we decided to visit the Bluebell. We were a mixed table of adults and children. We were not disappointed. This is a very lovely pub in a lovely setting with a varied menu and excellent food! Unfortunately we weren't able to sit in the well kept garden due to the weather, but were made to feel very welcome in the characterful interior! The Stilton burger was exceptional and the twice cooked chips delicious! Definitely will be visiting again!

Dear Housewifr,
thanks for your lovely review. We do look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We visited the bluebell TWICE over the may bank holiday weekend, firstly on Saturday evening with friends for the "charley farley" band evening, what an amazing atmosphere, the friends we tagged along with visit regularly and rave about the food at the bluebell so we decided to give it a try on the monday, i must say i we were not disappointed, my wife and i arrived along with our son and his friend at 12:00 for our 12:15 table (luckily we did) we opted against starters (as i had already seen the dessert board) and i chose the pork belly & langostine, a huge piece of pork cooked beautifully with two huge langostines if im overly critical perhaps the portion was slightly too generous but that is not in my opinion detremental! My wife went for the polenta which looked amazing but truth be told i couldnt dream of ordering without any meat on my plate!!! The boys had burgers which looked very good and empty plates are always a positive! I had the lemon tart with lemon & thyme curd, very nice, my wife didnt choose a sweet but the boys both enjoyed the brownies. Overall i was very impressed with the food and i enjoyed the beer which i have tried and failed to remember the name! (Any hint of the name of the very light coloured ale would be appreciated).

Just a word of warning though as i have read from other reviews here, the bluebell does appear to get very busy as we were forewarned on saturday evening, so we took the booking time we were allocated, the standards were high and i am glad that our food wasnt rushed and substandard as is the case in many places we have visited! In our opinion the staff were doing their utmost to please everybody on a very busy day!

We will most certainly be returning and hopefully in the near future.
Many thanks to all at the bluebell and carry on the good work!

Dear JamesSampson,
thankyou so much for your very kind review, we were very busy that day (I'd advise any potential customers reading this to book, like you did!)
We look forward to seeing you again - (I reckon the beer was Moondance,buy the way, a local favourite.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I visited this pub on Bank Holiday Monday after a day's cycling, having received a recommendation from a friend.

I can't recommend it highly enough, having sampled both the food and drink service; Definitely the best pub food I've had in a long while. For cyclists it's an ideal spot with plenty of routes out, and there's ample parking for those travelling by car.

Children will be well entertained by the garden facilities and it's a very safe environment. A real credit to Robin and his family for turning the venue around!

Dear Nick,
thank you so much for your kind review, I'm sorry the weather wasn't so great for your visit and I do hope you pop in again when you're in the area.