“Beer Festival - I think not”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Farnham Maltings

Farnham Maltings
Ranked #9 of 25 things to do in Farnham
More attraction details
Owner description: Farnham Maltings is a creative organisation that works with artists and communities to encourage most people to make, see and enjoy the best art possible.
Camberley, United Kingdom
452 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 537 helpful votes
“Beer Festival - I think not”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I've been going to the "Beer Exhibition" on and off for a number of years but first of all I must point out two things - this is not about the Maltings per se as I've not visited in any other capacity, also I'm a paid up member of CAMRA.

Ok, so this may well be the longest running beerfest at the same location but it's not a proper CAMRA run event and I don't know why they associate themselves - it's a LIONS event and I suspect a vehicle for the "great and good" to say how much they raise and no doubt hope for an appearance in the New Years Honours list. My gripe is two fold - they only give you half pint mugs and there's no form of discount for CAMRA members (usually discount ticket or free vouchers). Knowing the mug situation I take my own pint glass (with half mark) but this year the staff were totally officious and at times made me have the mug filled which I had to decant - what's their problem?! Every CAMRA festival I attend (and it's many) people take their own tankards etc if they want and so long as they've got correct measure points then there's no complaint. Proper festivals are staffed by CAMRA volunteers (here it's a mix) who are invairbly friendly and cheerful - the Farnham Fiasco is staffed mainly by LIONS volunteers who for the main part appear under sufferance as no doubt this is not the level to which they would normally stoop or the people they would normally associate with (but they do sport super name badges which make them look like contestants from a dating agency). The range/selection of beers is also pitiful for a "Beer Exhibition" and I wonder why the usual big names don't appear? The age and profile of attendees is to my mind not the usual diverse mix of revellers you can expect at "proper" festivals. If you live local and haven't visited the Woking or Battersea Fests (as examples) then I suggest you do to make an informed comparison.

So in summary - avoid like the plague if you want the usual and expected CAMRA experience.

Please note - before anyone thinks of responding to my negativity I stress this is my personal view and so suck up the criticism and do something about it for next year (but of course I won't hold by breath as why would you change from the "cash cow" tried and tested formula).

Visited April 2014
12 Thank nnmercman

New Milton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Farnham Maltings box office rip-off”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Today I attempted to buy a ticket over the phone

The lady wanted to charge me £1 extra for using a card over the phone

Upon challenge for this, she claimed, very specifically, that “the bank charges us £1.00 per transaction for cards”

I presumed this to be a lie

I rang my bank to verify (First Direct)

They did some checking and confirmed that they do NOT charge £1.00 per transaction

I rang again and complained; we did not come to any meeting of minds. She didn’t want to send any messages from me to the boss

I am very dissapointed that this organsation presumes to lie to its clients.

And I am dissapointed that they think you can get away with stating one price in public while actually extorting a bigger sum from clients who respond to your publicly stated prices

Visited February 2014
7 Thank Tom V
surrey
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Giles at the Maltings”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Just been to see Giles Brandreth at the Maltings talking about 'Happiness' Really good couple of hours spent, listening to his tales, very entertaining, charming and witty man. The Maltings is a great venue, definately worth a visit with lots of different things going on there.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank saraSurrey
Farnham, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“a great resource”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

A local centre for the arts in which markets, evening classes, performances and all sort of things go on. A great space. I attend a writing group on Tuesday night.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank MarieBreenSmyth
Farnham, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Always Something Going On!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I am a member of the Maltings and go regularly. It is a fantastically well run place full of buzz. Perfect for ALL age groups. Two excellent cafes, a pleasant patio to sit out in the Summer, a very historic interesting building which has been sympathetically updated. I have been to Christmas Fairs, Book and Antique Fairs, stand up comedy, films, music, evening talks, Art exhibitions, met friends for lunch - I cannot imagine Farnham without the Maltings - it is a HUB! The only thing it definitely ISN'T is a theatre and although they try their best to bring touring groups and Childrens Plays which are often excellent - the building can NEVER replace the fabulous auditorium that was the Redgrave Theatre now standing empty and neglected due to a lethargic and unsupportive Council!

Visited November 2013