“Somebody buy a Hoover”

Farnham House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
“Somebody buy a Hoover”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed on business on jan 20th. Having read the reviews I wasn't expecting much and therefore wasn't disappointed! Rack rate £91 I wouldn't give £29. I arrived at 6.45 and was offered 7.00/7.30 or 8.00 for dinner. I accepted 7.00. Arriving at 7.00 I entered the restaurant to be greeted by .., you want a table? Yes I have booked for 7.00! Sorry could you take a seat in the bar! ... Why? There were only 3 tables occupied and at least 10 empty. The answer was chef only wants 3-4 tables at a time. If so why accept my booking? No I didn't want to sit in the bar. So under duress I was seated by the kitchen. I had to endure shouting and clashing pans competing very nicely with the far to loud awful music. The poor waiter had no idea although in fairness was polite but totally lacked customer care. My meal took an hour to be served even though everybody else was eating. The carpets were filthy hadn't seen a Hoover for a long time. As for my room. It must have backed onto the boiler room because I was kept awake by the clanging and humming of old plumbing all night. Not refreshed the next morning I tried breakfast. Cheap bacon value beans with fresh bloomer bread... Value cheap sliced more like. In total very unsatisfactory for price and totally agree with other reviews. Stay if your desperate.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Chef2304

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Barcelona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Do not go any where near this hotel on any circumstance. The owners should have sold it off as a care home long ago. We were delighted to have been charged over £50 per head for the worst canteen food imaginable on Christmas Day. The room was freezing. The floor was dirty. One wine glass was clearly broken and we had the excruciating experience of the poor man's Mr Tumble trying to be a jovial host. Overwhelmingly painful. Couldn't even deliver warm coffee. Staff wearing scruffy black 'requirement' were all huddled by the fire in the lobby. Just awful. Really. Have absolutely nothing positive to say. If you are planning on dying the next day, why not? If that isn't the case there are many other options.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alison O
hollybournehotels, Director of Sales at Farnham House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
We are sorry you were disappointed, despite the great efforts made by our team at the hotel to overcome problems arising from power cuts over the Christmas period.

Travellers are raving about these Farnham hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Without question this is the very worst hotel stay I have ever had to endure. My husband and I stayed for 2 nights from the 20th December 2013, as we had a friend's wedding in the area. We arrived late Friday night, too exhausted to complain about the filthy state of the bathroom (dirty floor & hairballs everywhere) we went straight to bed. In the morning my husband showered, but it was only after I had taken my shower that I noticed it...............a used condom, wrapped up in a thin plastic bag, it was vile and had me near to heaving up my breakfast.

On leaving for the wedding, we complained to 2 members of staff at reception, they apologised and asked for the exact location of the afore mentioned used condom. Which we explained was on the window sill of the shower.

It was much to our disgust and horror to find on returning to our room that evening after the wedding, the used condom was still in the shower. We complained to the night manager who came and took it away and said he would be informing the general manager.

On checking out in the morning, the night manager soon disappeared once he saw my husband and I arrive, and left the receptionist to check us out. She attempted to check us out without mentioning the incident, on complaining she apologised and said that there was nothing she could do, charged us for the stay and promised that the general manager (who was apparently away at another location) would give my husband a call to address the complaint personally.

Well it is currently the 24th December 2013 and he/she hasn't bothered ringing.

Only stay at this hotel if you want to wallow in other people's love juices, however if you want a clean room then go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jaya112
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Very oldy worldy and cosy hotel. All the basics on offer but not luxury which isn't to be expected as very reasonably priced. In lovely grounds, staff very friendly. I would definitely return if I had the need to stay in Farnham again

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

I do not normally complain about places that I have stayed at but the Farnham House hotel was an experience and in the end I just had to laugh at how bad it was.

1st impression not great. Hungry after traveling, I asked if we could book dinner and the receptionist said that she could book a table for us in an hour because they were extremely busy. I noted that there was no one in the restaurant at that point and two people there in an hour. Extremely busy?? I dread to think how they would cope with more than two tables.

A very similar experience to the reviews that have been posted - unclean, dated, too hot, noisy during the night, shower either really hot or really cold, poor bar (No staff) and dinner service (One hour in between courses) but the incident that stood out the most was my breakfast the next day.

I had a croissant and as I took a bite, it was completely raw and sticky inside. I showed this to the waiter and he said that the chef was making more and that I would get a cooked one. As I was served another I was a bit more cautious with this one as a result of the previous croissant. The new was not raw this time, but completely frozen on the inside. I again showed this to the waiter and explained it's arctic state and the waiter replied "I thought that was the case" and walked off. Myself and my colleague that was having breakfast with me just laughed.

As I checked out the receptionist asked me how my stay was and I said "not good" expecting her to ask why. I think she gets that response from customers often as she merely responded with "O.K".

An absolute shambles of a place, which is a shame because the grounds of the hotel are really nice and with investment could be a cracking hotel. I would advise no one to visit even if it is a short overnight business stay like me, however if the hotel changes hands then someone has the potential to make it really quite nice.

Warning - do not have a croissant unless you like raw pastry or frozen pastry.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Marc M
Thatcham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed here for one night for our friend's wedding and had a great time. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the food and drink were nothing special but perfectly acceptable for the event and the room was just what we needed. We didn't get chance to visit the grounds but hear they're worth a visit. Only downside for us (and several other guests) was the heating - it was far too hot. We turned off every radiator and opened every window we could find!!

Aside from the heat, a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed last night and the venue is nice with plenty of potential, however service was slow, I guess due to limited staff numbers. Breakfast was the real issue for me, they'd run out of glasses for the orange juice, run out of toast, run out of mushrooms, run out of hash browns and then ran out of coffee so quite a limited "full English breakfast for us. When I raised the matter at reception the lady there said "there was toast etc when I looked" which was a great help, I only wish she could have given us the 2 minute slot when everything would have been available, she then said "I'll make a note of it" so sadly it was more then clear she'd heard this many times before and she wasn't interested in doing anything to fix the issue we had.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
BEST WESTERN Frensham Pond Hotel
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 8 in Farnborough
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,798 reviews

Been to Farnham House Hotel? Share your experiences!