“Managers useful advice in a career in hospitality”

Farnham House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Farnham
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
“Managers useful advice in a career in hospitality”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Great venue and we had a lovely family wedding there. Only one issue came to light...

As an evening guest, I arrived at seven as my invitation said and discovered the speeches were still going on. I sought advice from a member of staff, the manager I hear. He took my inquiry as a complaint and decided to give me a lecture on the variables affecting the timing of weddings. He introduced it as a three point lecture and in the middle of the first point, I decided as useful as his information was, I was happy with my career at the moment and didn't really need the lecture, and so left to sit in the bar, where I spent quite some time hearing him moan about me rather loudly. I gather he offered other guests similar information on the hospitality industry, such as the inability to change a guests meal request and how he knew how to cut a cake a Sam he does it every week. Sadly, I fear he is not happy with his job in the hospitality industry and maybe lecturing should be his choice of career.

All of that said, the wedding was lovely and the rest of the staff were a joy. Such a lovely venue too. The grumpy manager is more entertaining that insulting really.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My daughter and son-in-law had their wedding reception here which was brilliant. The grounds are really pretty and the hotel has lots of character making for a lovely location to take the wedding photographs. The staff were very efficient and could not do enough for you. The food was very delicious. Overall a brilliant location for a wedding. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynn F
Hampshire UK
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had our wedding reception here in June. We & our guests had a fantastic time, we were lucky that we had a lovely sunny day so were able to make the most of the attractive grounds which are its best feature really. The Hotel itself has lots of character, yes it is dated in parts & it does need money spending on it. The rooms are a bit tatty here & there but we didnt spend much time in them so it didnt really matter. I did have reservations about the cleanliness in general after reading previous reviews but we found it to be pretty clean apart from a few minor little details & a few dead flies on the windowsills in the conservatory. A constant job really clearing them up!
We had an evening buffet & although I didnt personally sample it (too busy dancing!) everyone said it was really nice. The canapies the chef prepared for us on arrival looked & tasted lovely though. We had ordered x amount of bottles of prossecco for our arrival drinks but when I asked for another couple of bottles to be opened apparently there wasnt anymore so that was a shame, the Hotel missed out on making more money out of us on this too. I didnt sample the breakfast either (too much wine this time!) but again there were no complaints from our guest that did have it.
A small negative for us was that after our wedding cake was cut up it was put on a tray just outside the reception room & a lot of our guests including me didnt see it. It would of been better if someone had offered it around to people or at least asked the dj to announce that it had been cut & was ready to eat. It meant we took a lot home after! Small detail really but slight disappointment.
Overall we were very happy indeed with The Farnham House Hotel. It was good value for money for us & a lot of our guests commented on how nice it was. Some said it was the best wedding they had been to.
Special thanks to Sarah one of the managers there who took care of our arrangements after the previous wedding co coordinator left. She was superb. Some of the other staff on first glance seemed quite stand offish sometimes, not really looking up when you came into reception etc but once you spoke to them they were all nice. First impressions do count though!
I would recommend this Hotel for a wedding if you dont want to spend a fortune & you want a character building in nice grounds.

Room Tip: Bridal suite was nice, at the front of the Hotel with views over the grounds.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angel1496
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked this hotel for one night and was very underwhelmed! Although a lovely arts and craft style building it was tired, in a shoddy state of repair and grubby. We arrived just as a wedding was being arranged and received no welcome or warm greeting. The bedroom was reminiscent of an old style travel lodge and had a broken curtain and coffee stains on the counter.
We ventured to the bar for a drink and a sandwich and we had to physically seek out the barmaid, however all three were forthcoming, but the sandwich had been slapped together and served with a huge handful of Twiglets, not everyone's choice of savoury accompaniment!
Returning at midnight after a party in Farnham, we had a nightcap before retiring!
The twin beds were okay, but the duvet was flat and heavy and the pillow mean and thin!
Breakfast the next morning was adequate, but we had ask for things to be replenished and the toast was brought out two slices at a time and unceremoniously dumped on a side plate!
Not somewhere I would recommend or re-visit unfortunately!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Chezzamitch
London
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had family arriving to attend my father's funeral last week and booked four rooms for two nights.One cousin from Canada, one from Edinburgh and my sister and family from Devon. Their comments ranged from "filthy", to "Fawlty Towers" to "terrible food" to utter outrage at having to pay nearly £100 per night for bad, surly and rude service, poor breakfasts and dirty rooms. To top it all the lactose intolerant member of the party, who we had phoned ahead and specifically requested soya milk for, was told there was none there and nothing they could do about it.
Having put many people here over the years and indeed had two family weddings, something has clearly gone very wrong. Avoid this hotel at all costs - it's a shambles.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank RichardTLondon

Travellers are raving about these Farnham hotels

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in June 2014. The hotel and grounds seemed nice enough. The room was clean and well presented but the light switch didn't work (room 6). The switch will not turn on and so I had to use the bedside lamps for lighting. I can't comment on the food or drink as I ate out every night but I'm sure it was good. The hotel can be a bit tricky getting to as it is located directly adjacent to a dual carriageway (A31). If you are going northbound towards Farnham you have to turn left onto the driveway that leads to the hotel. If you approach from the opposite direction from Farnham towards Alton then you have to slow right down on the fast lane of the dual carriageway to turn right. Hopefully other cars behind you know why you are slowing down as you have to park your car in the central reservation whilst you wait for oncoming traffic to clear. Additionally the wifi is £10 for 24 hours which is far too expensive. I uploaded a picture to trip advisor showing the costs of the wifi.

• Stayed June 2014
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I got married in August last year and i had the best day ever. The garden wedding was beautiful, the staff friendly and can not do enough for you. The food was out of this world and the rooms comfortable. Ours had a spa bath and 4 poster bed in it which was lovely after such a long day.
Our guests throroughly enjoyed themselves and we are looking forward to going back for our anniversary.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank samantha f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Best Western Frensham Pond Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
Alton House Hotel
Alton House Hotel
#1 of 3 in Alton

Been to Farnham House Hotel? Share your experiences!