“Indulgent”

Ranked #3 of 22 Farnham B&B and Inns
Surrey
“Indulgent”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I was looking for a boutique hotel for a weekend getaway with the wife for our wedding anniversary. I looked at many so called 'boutique hotels' in and around London and they were ridiculously over-priced. There was nothing special about them. I think the word boutique is just a posh way of saying 'small' in the hotel game!

However, I then stumbled across Hotel de Vie's website and thought - great - this is the type of place I have been looking for. Quirky and different. Let's go for it.

I did a quick google earth to see where the place is and admittedly was a little disappointed to see that it looked like a couple of semi-detached houses patched together but when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. When you walk through the entrance you are greeted by a very contemporary, chiq bar and lounge. Beautifully styled and decorated. We initially wanted the Parisian Dreams suite because of the huge bath but as that was already booked we indulged in the Scarlet Suite which did not disappoint.

Beautifully decorated room. Large open bath with extremely powerful water pump - filled up in a couple of minutes! Very comfortable bedding and clean luxurious linen from Farnham's very own 'King of Cotton'! Great selection of free DVDs (there isn't THAT much to do in Farnham!). Huge TV, iPod docking station, private living area.

Breakfast was perfect. Staff and owner were very welcoming and friendly. Available when you need them and not when you don't. Very pleasant (and short) walk into Farnham town centre.

Negatives?
Like many, we would have liked to make our own coffee/teas in our room. I really don't want to be disturbing the staff if I fancy a late night cuppa. £190 per night is as much as I would pay for a small hotel but I think it was well worth the indulgence.

One final point: Some reviewers make this place sound a little 'seedy'. I really don't know why. The place is elegant and classy and if I hadn't read the reviews I wouldn't have even known there was a particular 'theme' to this place. Maybe I'm just naive!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dsleazy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Having found the Hotel de Vie on the web, it seemed like the perfect place to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday and get us in the holiday mood as were flying the next evening. On arrival, it appeared that we were the only guests. Our welcome was warm and friendly and it soon became clear that privacy and relaxation are high on the agenda. The Parisienne Dreams room is stunning, the super kingsize bed unbelievably comfortable and the huge bath was just what we'd hoped for. We didn't eat at the hotel that night, preferring instead to eat out in Farnham itself. The breakfast however was extremely tasty and very much appreciated. We found Roger and his staff to be very welcoming and I would recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a quiet, romantic time. Previous reviews have intimated that this hotel is over-priced, I find that incredibley harsh to be honest. Having searched around on the web I found this to be unbelievable value at £125 for the night with breakfast. I would also like to add that the hotel is very tastefully decorated and certainly not tacky in any way - as intimated by some reviews. Overall, it is highly recommended and we both look forward to returning to the Hotel de Vie at a later date.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OK1967
Somerset
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Been a while since I stayed here but it's wearing well and still to be recommended. Good value for a comfortable sleep with great bedlinen, good shower and straightforward catering. The hotel does have an unusual and somewhat racey theme, which certainly breaks the monotony of the ubiquitous business hotel. Smile and enjoy.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank PAW53
surrey, uk
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Me and my boyfriend recently booked into the parisian dreams suite for one night. The room was very nice and the bath was just amazing! Plenty of hot water to keep it hot.
The room is bigger than it looks in the photos as it doesnt show the sofa and the area around it.
Didnt get a chance to really meet the staff but the hotel itself is nicely decorated and a nice atmosphere.
The only things i could say that would need improving would be to maybe get some air conditioning? I did get quite hot during the night and had to open the window. Some the reviews comment on the noisy traffic outside, this wasnt a problem till we had to open the window.
Also the dvd player on the tv was pretty rubbish, We bought a new dvd to watch and it kept skipping, but this didnt bother us to much as its not what we booked the hotel for :-)
It was less than a 5 minute walk to/from the train station which is handy and its a short walk to the high street which is a nice walk if the weather is nice (we werent too lucky)
All together i think the hotel is great if your a couple looking for a nice night together and i would recomend this hotel to people!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
hampshire
Reviewed 21 March 2010

Have just returned from a perfect night away at De Vie. From the moment we arrived we felt totally relaxed. The design throughout is very tasteful, the rooms are spotlessly clean (we stayed in the decadance room which I have to say is absolutely beautiful), food great and staff friendly and welcoming. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel - not only to other couples seeking a romantic night away - but to others too as, whilst there is a lovers theme to the hotel (erotic artwork and love swing - boxed, under the bed) it is very tastefully appointed throughout and it is clear from speaking to Roger, the owner, that the hotel is used by a wide range of customers. We shall certainly be returning soon...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Scotland, UK
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Stayed at this hotel, overall was enjoyable few days.

Nice interior, room fine and breakfast good.

Although what lets this place down is in its value for money.

Having stayed in Farnham a few times, would recommend the Farnham B&B, 5 star b&b at 1/2 the price.

Overall, would recommend, but this area could be improved.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank moon_uk_dundee
Cádiz
Reviewed 27 January 2010

We stayed there (in the Parisian Dreams Suite) for four nights and were very happy with the room, the service and the food. The bed is huge and the bath is amazing, it´s like going for a swim in a hot spring. However, the most remarkable thing about it is the service. Roger, the owner, is always around and very helpful and makes you feel very much at home. So do his staff. We had a lovely time.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank gazules
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
Mercure Farnham Bush Hotel
Aviator Hotel
Aviator Hotel
#1 of 7 in Farnborough
The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham

Been to Hotel de Vie? Share your experiences!