“great day out”
Review of The Lobster Pot - CLOSED

The Lobster Pot
Price range: US$20 - US$85
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Been before to lobster pot and had a great time so we went there again for a friends 40th birthday. Really a great day out, friendly staff and great food, what more could you want! We enjoyed it so much i have booked for valentines day, can;t wait.Great job Lobster pot.

1  Thank jasa_1001
There are newer reviews for The Lobster Pot

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We've been to Lobster Pot for many years on and off since it's been open. Initially when the restaurant first open it was absolutely fantastic we were massive fans, more recently it has been hit and miss what service you get and the quality of food. Selection is always good, bread rolls are lovely but food can vary.

This time we celebrated my mum's birthday and we were left disappointed. Starters were ace, my ribs were poor, I've never had them before at Lobster but certainly wouldn't again. 2 fillet steaks were good although the 6oz looked very very small compared to the 8oz. My Dad's surf and turf - the steak - was very chewy. We told the waiter who said nothing didn't even acknowledge it. Surf and turf is an expensive dish so this was disappointing. I must say though the port and Stilton sauce is the best we've ever had, no where offers it or even half as good so thumbs up for that. We ordered two puddings including an Eton mess which was not good. It was icy and not half as good as others we've had elsewhere.

When paying for the bill and my Dad again said his steak was chewy he was told "It happens" I think this to be very poor customer service, we are not the complaining type and I've never left a review of such on these sites but I feel that there should have been an apology as yes these things do happen but that is not the way to deal with it if you want repeat custom.

On a separate note be warned most restaurants that accept Tastecards will accept 2 cards for 4 people (e.g 2 cards for 2 couples), lobster pot don't they'll only accept 1 card for the 1 booking. We were told to check the terms on tastecards website and so lesson learnt there we will be checking the terms in future, disappointing but we accept these are the terms.

On a Thursday it was quiet, not like it used to be, it used to be buzzing and hard to get a table. We left wondering if this was why given the customer service and food was disappointing or perhaps it's because it's January. Either way its made us think twice before returning which is a shame as it's local to my parents and we used to love it.

1  Thank LazJ84
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Have visited on several occasions as locality suitable for meeting family members and whilst food was quite good the service was unbelievably bad there was no lack of waiters all of whom seemed intent on ignoring frequent requests for assistance in getting items of the meal which were necessary or disappearing completely thus turning what should have been a enjoyable occasion into an uphill battle. To round off the lunch I ask to see the manager to be told he had already left. To reinforce my displeasure I wrote to him but have not received the curtsey of a reply which I think reflects the whole attitude encountered.

2  Thank Neil C
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Arrived with some friends, first impression was that the bar area lacked any sort of atmosphere, it felt cold and less than inviting. We hoped for a little better in the restaurant area alas it was the same. Food was tasty and not bad value, especially the sweet course. The service was good and attentive. We would go back if they made the place a little more warm and inviting , it did look like they were half way through decorating. Perhaps start with some curtains

2  Thank Hotfrog63
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Popped in here on a Thursday at 7.30pm as we'd been to a local driving range with my father in law and fancied trying this place out.

When we walked in a waiter (who I assume was in charge as he spent most of the evening telling everyone else what to do) came over and almost barked at us "Can I help?" as if we shouldn't be there. He asked if we had booked and looked at us like he might struggle to fit us in and that it was a bit of a pain having us there when I said no. My father in law later told me he could see the clip board the guy was holding and he only had three bookings, all of which came in whilst we were there and there were no more than 15 people in the whole place! apart from that, They only serve food until 9pm!

He seemed really miserable and as if he didn't want to be there which made us feel like we were in the way. Fortunately, once he took our order, the other waiters more than made up for his grumpy persona!

The food was nice, I had Japanese Torpedo prawns with chilli sauce followed by a salmon en croute with tarrogan sauce, sauteed potatoes an veg. The only complaint was that they appeared to have laid the en croute on top of the sauce so all the pastry was soggy and wet by the time it go to me and there was no seasoning on the fish whatsoever, just some mushrooms on top under the pastry but it was still a nice piece of fish.

No complaints from my husband or father in law about their loaded potato skins (except they weren't loaded, they were just potatoes cut in half and topped with cheese and bacon) or ribs/steak but none of us felt we'd be rushing back because of the less than warm welcome we received.

1  Thank Nicole S