“wake up management!”

Grayshott Medical Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayshott
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I have to agree with nomadwithpen. I have also championed Grayshott since 1999 and have visited almost every year. My first beef would be with the reservations person who sent me 2 abrupt emails responding to simple requests. The tone was not appropriate and didn't make me feel welcome. Please look at them Peter (manager). My junior suite was fine but neither TVs worked, despite someone fiddling with them (room 17). The food was delicious and apart from a mix-up with the sharers table, which meant I sat and ate alone on the first night, I couldn't fault anything. The treatments, therapists and staff generally are delightful - which brings me my next point. A discretionary 5% is added to the bill for the staff. I understand from another guest that they do not receive this. I hope this is not the case, but I think it is not good practise to add this to the bill in this sort of establishment. It seems that cuts have been made in staffing levels. Twice the spa was unattended. There was always some one on hand who would turn the shower on for you, have a towel ready, offer a cool face cloth when you entered the sauna, offer lime juice or water etc Small luxuries that all add up to make a really pampering experience and that is what it should be about. No one answering the phone on reception. Individually these points may seem petty, but I am not the only one to have noticed the difference. So, please wake up - it wouldn't take much to bring the standards back up to scratch.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Medical Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Tillycan

Thank you for your review.

Regarding the emails you received from our Reservations department, I understand that my Reservations Manager has now been in touch to assure you that it was the Reservationist’s intention to be efficient and brief, and I can only apologies if this was construed as abrupt.

I am sorry that you experienced problems with televisions during your stay, since when we have replaced all the televisions in our Junior Suites to new digital models. I am only sorry that you did not benefit from these during your stay.

We introduced a discretionary 5% charge to guests’ bills several years ago in response to guests who wished to offer a gratuity to staff. I can assure you that monies accrued are apportioned to all waiting staff, front of house staff and spa therapists at Christmas time.

The spa is occasionally unattended when the attendant is undertaking body scrubs on guests, attending other guest, replenishing towels and amenities or assisting in the Hydrotherapy suite.

I am glad that you enjoyed the spa cuisine, treatments and staff during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Grayshott Medical Spa

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Lovely place and lovely grounds for walking and golf par 3. Lovely outdoor and indoor pool.

Breakfast and lunch self service and good quality. However if your veggie or vegan you will struggle in the evening. Ask for extra vegetables is my tip. They need a good veggie option.
A nice touch would be fresh vegetable juice. I kind of expected this considering it is a health spa. i found the free filter coffee undrinkable, even after the waiter refreshed the pot. but good choice of teas. I did find that the public areas would better served if we had a higher level of lighting as this would lift ones spirits more, I know a very personal thing perhaps.

I would love to have rated " very good"....it would not take much to make me want to go again.

i enjoyed being in my room which was a Junior suite and a excellent large bed.
very poor wi fi and patchy but then do we need it at a spa?
Take advantage of the free walks and golf and take your bike.

Spa treatments are poor value and I experienced some booking confusion on my one treatment and twice someone knocked on the door. The treatment rooms are dark and small. I think the yoga and Pilates and Tai chi at £6 is possibly ok but why not free.

Staff were very polite and friendly at all times and after all it is only one hour from south west London,subject to A3 traffic re M25 problems.

Room Tip: Go for a junior suite if available but not room 34 as it backs on to the Jacuzzi in the indoor pool...
1  Thank DenniDenni

Dear DenniDenni

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your review and for highlighting your enjoyment of the grounds and golf course at Grayshott Spa. I hope that you also managed to partake of the exercise and relaxation classes, lunch-time talks and evening entertainment during your stay.

Whilst we make a nominal charge of £6 for an hour’s lesson of yoga, Tai Chi or Pilates I would like to stress that we do offer guests 51 complimentary exercise and relaxation classes, and supervised, walks each week.

Our spa treatments are priced from £35 to £85, the latter being over an hour in length, very specialised and undertaken by senior therapists. Whilst price is always a moot point we do consider that our treatment prices are good value, having not increased for several years and undertaken by highly qualified therapists, with many years experience.

We have experienced recent problems with WI-FI which were as a result of an external fault. We have since taken steps to rectify this and are confident that this has now been alleviated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Excellent! This Spa Hotel is warm, caring and friendly. It's a place where I feel safe and secure, even when I take myself off into the 'woods', so tranquil and relaxing within the 40 plus acres of grounds. The staff are very professional, friendly and courteous at all times. Treatments are a pleasure and beneficial. Facilities are plentiful and the tuition is first class.
The restaurant food is superb and plentiful, with fresh ingredients and very appealing to the eye. I travel alone and I find Grayshott Spa with all the above is the perfect sanctuary for me.

1  Thank Mag2707

Dear Mag 2707

Thank you for your kind review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and fully experienced all that Grayshott has to offer.

We pride ourselves on providing a sanctuary for all guests, but are especially aware of the needs of those guests staying on their own. To this end we provide a sharers table for guests travelling alone who would like to mingle at meal times with like minded guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future. In the meantime, thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I'm marking this average with a heavy heart, because I so want to write *excellent*!

I have been going to this spa for almost 20 years. In the days of my early visits the place was - admittedly - slightly dog-eared but it was a true haven; a sanctuary, sealed from the outside world. It was different to any other spa, and the care and attention of staff - who had all been there for a long time - made me return again and again. Lunches were a sumptuous healthy buffet with a great deal of choice, and dinner was elegant. The drawing room was filled with glossy magazines - not local freebies; and no alcohol was served. (This was good!)

Changes are inevitable and came to Grayshott when the place was given a (much needed) make over; but Grayshott Hall (as it was and had always been) lost something of its former magic. It chose to become another spa, and, I think, lost its uniqueness. A rare and indefinable thing that made it so special, and the reason I never looked at another spa.

Today, Grayshott Spa takes day members, annual members and guests. Its former make over is due another make over and many of the staff are... uninterested, impossible to understand, or simply disengaged. It is nothing like it was, and, sadly, it simply makes me realise how very special the old place was.

I understand that in order to survive, in order to make economic sense, spas - including Grayshott - have had to change and adapt and take members, but I do feel that too much has been sacrificed here, and that the service and attention to detail that made this such a special place have been forsaken for profit.

6  Thank nomadwithpen

Dear Nomadwithpen

Thank you for your review.

We have made a number of changes to Grayshott Spa over the last ten years, most notably with a major re-furbishment to the bedrooms, common areas and spa facilites. We have also addressed requests made by our regular guests and put changes into practice; amongst which we introduced spa days for those who could not afford the time to stay at Grayshott, but still wished the opportunity to spend a day of relaxation. In addition we offered Club Membership for those who lived locally who wished to use the spa and fitness facilities.

We have been welcoming day guests to Grayshott for nearly 10 years. We have also had Grayshott Spa Club Membership running for the same time period. Numbers for both of these are carefully limited so as not to impact on the calm ambience of Grayshott for our resident guests. For this reason we limit groups to a maximum of 6. Club members primarily use the gym and spa facilities in the early morning, and late evening, when our resident guests are enjoying breakfast and dinner. Again this serves to limit any impact on our resident guests, and has not been an issue in the past decade.

As a spa of 50 years heritage, a number of our staff have been with us for many years and I am sure that you will have recognised several from your previous visits over the last 20 years. Most departing guests comment very favourably on the high level of personal service our staff give to all guests, in many cases exceeding expectations.

We made the decision several years ago to serve a small selection of wine and champagne in Bubbles bar. This was in response to guest requests. However, we close the bar at 10.00pm to support our guests on their quest for well-being and rest.

Many of our loyal guests, some who have been visiting Grayshott for 40 years, continue to return on a regular basis. As one of our regular guests recently wrote “Grayshott is a proper spa with excellent therapists providing superb treatments. It is not glitzy or sleek. It is a country house with wonderful grounds and is a great place to unwind and get yourself back on track health-wise”.

I hope that you enjoyed one of our therapeutic spa treatments during your stay, as well as the complimentary exercise and relaxation classes, and entertainment on offer.

Peter Wood.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Grayshott is a curious mix. The original house is lovely - very gracious with a comfortable and peaceful sitting room (all squashy sofas, papers and big log fire). The rooms in this part of the house are characterful too (although number 6 is right over the kitchen and there's an irritating hum from the ventilation all night). The decor is very much English country house - although I felt the bedrooms could have done with some updating and a little more panache.
The 'new' extension is very different - the rooms are smaller (although the bathrooms tend to be larger) and are all a bit anonymous with standard hotel decor.
The spa is split into male and female areas and both sides are a bit poky - there's a steam (which smelled a bit dank on my visit), sauna and plunge pool and a rather gloomy small relaxation room. It's miles away from the pools which is a surprise.
The pools (one outdoor, one indoor) are fine - reasonable size and have loungers around them. There's also an indoor Jacuzzi.

The grounds are very lovely - well-established with plenty of places to sit and relax. Grayshott has its own small golf course (didn't seem overly busy, which is a blessing) and a resident pro does lessons (apparently very good). The property backs onto National Trust land and there are loads of lovely walks (the spa itself offers three guided walks a day - gentle pace, average and a serious power walk).

The gym is well-equipped - good cardio machines, some resistance machines and a separate free weights room. But it feels a little cramped as the ceiling is low and there are no outside views (the windows are high). Trainers are very good - friendly and hugely helpful. They also run a series of complimentary classes (some cardio, some conditioning, some relaxation) which were excellent - stripped back to basics and hard work, clearly and concisely taught with attention to individual people's injuries or issues.
Other classes have to be paid for - yoga, Pilates, Zumba and Tai chi. Pilates was very good. Zumba was so-so and the yoga was very patchy (one teacher was excellent; the other two weren't very clear in their teaching and beginners felt very lost).

Spa treatments were generally considered very good and the staff were uniformly lovely. Beauty treatments weren't so highly rated but this could be to do with the spa brand used - Murad - which didn't garner great reviews. Treatments aren't cheap though - most major therapies cost £85 and a manicure is £55 which I consider steep. Many of the treatment rooms are very small. It's a shame they stopped using ila products.

Food is variable. Breakfast and lunch are mainly self-service buffet, supper is a la carte. Mostly food was good but vegetarians don't get such a good deal and vegans would struggle. The major ethos behind the diet is a modified paleo diet, with the emphasis on good quality meat and fish protein and salads/leafy vegetables (low on grain and carbohydrate in general).
As a vegetarian, I was seriously disappointed with a lot of my food - a slab of pumpkin plonked on a plate is poor. I also had to send back an omelette which was badly cooked and cold. The kitchen is unable to be flexible so if you have food intolerances you might also struggle.

There are health lectures every lunchtime which were very well-presented and interesting - lots of cutting edge information. And the spa has a small cinema which showed a film each night - which was a nice touch. You can also borrow DVDs from a library to play in your room.

Staff were lovely, very helpful and kind. Wifi is very patchy. I had to swap rooms to get any connection at all.

Guests are a curious mix. Mainly over 50s - either singles or couples. Unlike many spas there's a fair amount of men here. Many people come here for recuperation and there were quite a few folk in wheelchairs. Contrast that with a much younger clientele at the weekends - when the place becomes busy with groups of young women coming for pampering.

People also come for the Grayshott Regime - a programme aimed at restoring digestive health. It starts with a series of consultations and tests; then a modified diet (including some semi-fast days) and a series of treatments (castor oil liver packs, abdominal massage and hydrotherapy).

The gym/spa is also open to local members. There's a nice shop which sells a range of clothing alongside beauty and health products recommended by the spa.

Overall, Grayshott is fine but could be much better. The spa areas really need more attention and it's incredible that a hotel of this calibre can't cater adequately for vegetarians. The kitchen really does need extending and to become far more flexible. At the moment, Grayshott doesn't seem quite sure if it's a serious health spa or a pampering spa 'lite'. I'd say you'd be better off on the continent if you want a serious health spa and that if you want serious pampering, you'd be better off going to a top notch hotel spa. Having said that, it's a nice place, the staff are lovely - and it has a certain English charm about it.

Room Tip: All the rooms in the newer wings are much the same. But if you choose a room in the old house, do c...
5  Thank Jane A
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Medical Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear Jane

I was disappointed to read your review.

I would like to clarify to other readers that your review relates to your stay on our 7 night Health regime, an intensive digestive cleansing programme.

I would like to stress that Grayshott has catered for vegetarians and vegans for many years. We have won awards for our spa cuisine and continually receive complimentary reviews for our cuisine from both guests and food critics alike.

You stayed on our 7 night Health regime. The regime was launched in January 2013 to much acclaim. We have since had hundreds of guests stay on the programme and our Health Consultants have recorded significant improvements to guests’ health, with notable weight loss, yourself included, reduction in joint pain, lowering of blood pressure and cholesterol levels and increased energy.

The regime is not suitable for vegetarians as an essential part of the nutritional protocol is the inclusion of protein. Certain nutrients for repairing the gut are more easily extracted from meat than vegetables.

As the gut restoration programme involves cutting out grains and most pulses for the duration it is too limiting for vegetarians and vegans. We have other programmes much more suited to vegetarians and vegans.

On arrival the Health regime was deemed unsuitable for you as you are not only vegetarian but, additionally, were unable to eat many of the food groups advocated on the programme. Our Clinical Nutritionist recommended an alternative programme which you declined. Our kitchen therefore made every effort to accommodate your very restrictive food choices so that you could continue on the regime. I am therefore disappointed that this was not recognised.

I am glad that you enjoyed the educational lectures, the spa treatments, exercise and relaxation classes and our 47 acres of gardens grounds during your stay with us.

If you would like to return to Grayshott to stay on one of our other programmes I feel that you would find the food choices more to your liking.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

A lovely day out from London although quite costly to get there as the nearest train station is a £15 taxi ride from the spa itself. Grayshott is a beautiful old house set in some gorgeous grounds. It seems quite large but it never felt very busy which was nice. I went mid week so assume it would be busier at the weekend. I booked a deal through Wahanda which gave me use of facilities and lunch (although I could have sworn when I first saw the offer it was for use of facilities and either a massage or facial). The meal was nice, but it was a buffet and as I arrived an hour after it opened, it seemed a lot of dishes had run out! The prawns and the nice dessert had already gone! I booked a massage extra which was very nice. Had a great male therapist, which I didn't mind as he was so good and very professional but this was not made clear to me when I booked so if you would prefer a female therapist then I suggest you let them know when you book. The place could do with a good clean - especially the gym and the exercise room! There was dust on the machines and balls of fluff in the corners! I was also horrified to find that to use the power plate machine I would have to book a 25 min session at the cost of £36! Needless to say I stayed away from that machine. The pool and spa area are lovely and I did a fun aqua aerobic class. The friendly staff and the welcoming environment are what made the day special but it could be improved by just a little more focus on the finer details (such as cleanliness!). Would recommend.

Dear KAWjuba

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your spa day with us.

Our spa day offers continually change with the seasons so it is likely that you may have previously seen an offer with an inclusive treatment, however this was not available when you booked.

Our buffet is continually replenished throughout the lunch-time period and it is unfortunate that you arrived during a transition period before this was undertaken. I will remind our Restaurant staff of the need to be continually aware.

Regarding dust in the gym, as we are unable to clean during the day, so as not to infringe on our guests use of the equipment, cleaning is carried out at night, and was indeed undertaken on the evening of your departure.

I am glad that you enjoyed your massage and the aerobic class. I hope that you return to us in the near future and spend a few days to further enjoy all the facilities, treatments and classes on offer.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

To start with a positive... I suppose that to the Spa's credit, it is well hidden. I simply cannot get my head around what the Spa purport to be a quality service and a superior resort - it made me begin to question my own principles and ideals. I really don't know where to start. Firstly, and although my hearing is not perfect, I found it quite difficult to understand what quite a lot of the staff were saying. It seems that it is only by sheer luck and coincidence that things happen at the right time - certainly from a guest's point of view, the apparent lack of organisational structure meant that I would be passed around like an unwanted penny until something eventually got sorted out. Some staff, I think perhaps a Northern Irish lady (I can't remember her name) really do not have the training required - or at least an understanding of etiquette and fundamental politeness - to be the face of a hotel that aspires to excellence. I'm really not one to make a fuss but they were discourteous and unapologetic. To go on, the place was quite messy, in need of some repair and the attention to detail was completely non-existant. The food - if you like the 80s then I suppose you will be fine. I shan't return and I'd actively discourage people from visiting - I'm sorry.

4  Thank MJ_Clarence
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Medical Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear MJ Clarence

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am also very much saddened that you did not voice your concerns during your stay to one of our Duty Managers, so that we could redress your issues while you were with us.

We pride ourselves on providing a calm, nurturing atmosphere with very caring and professional staff, who have a genuine desire to help guests achieve their goals, whether it be to de-stress, get fit, recuperate or simply relax and recharge. Many of our guests return to us several times a year to enjoy the therapeutic treatments, spa cuisine and classes.

Recent guest comments have included:

“Having visited numerous spas throughout the country, Grayshott is totally different and a wonderfully relaxing experience”.
“I would like to thank all the staff for being so caring and attentive”.
“I cannot fault anything at all. We will definitely be back”.

Our Restaurant Manager, to whom you refer, has been with us for a number of years. She is often credited by our guests on her exemplary service and attention to their needs.

Our spa cuisine has won several awards and we continually receive complimentary reviews from departing guests and prominent food critics alike.

Grayshott is an old property with a constant programme of refurbishment and maintenance in place. We do however have a more contemporary accommodation wing which may have been more to your preference.

Despite your comments, I do hope that you had the opportunity to appreciate the unique calm of Grayshott, the spa treatments, facilities and complimentary entertainment on offer during your stay.

If you would like to contact me with the specifics of your displeasure I would be happy to discuss these further.

Peter Wood

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayshott
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
The Georgian Hotel
#2 of 2 in Haslemere
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to Grayshott Medical Spa? Share your experiences!