“A great, relaxing, healthy break for solo travellers”
Review of Grayshott Spa

Grayshott Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayshott
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Spent 2 nights here and really enjoyed it. I looked for somewhere to come alone and this place is perfect - really welcoming of solo travellers. I made the most of the amazing countryside that backs on to the grounds (once again a great place to wander on your own), the lovely pool and spa and the very enjoyable treatments. The food, particularly in the evening, was of a high standard and very enjoyable (although might be less varied for vegetarians perhaps).

This is meant to be a healthy living break and so portions are deliberately restrained with healthy fruit/yoghurt type desserts. I thought this was great - it makes it easy to come here and not drink any wine, not eat anything bad for you and do some exercise. Those people who give the place bad reviews are looking for something different. From my observation it isn't necessarily the place to come if you want an indulgent (in the food and wine sense) romantic weekend break. Rooms are clean and calm rather than luxurious.

Helpfully this place is easily accessible from London by train and a 10min taxi. I do agree that perhaps the technology could be better: TVs with more channels, better wifi and phone reception. Apart from that it is a good place to come to get away from it all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TheAdventurer1234
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear TheAdventureTwins

Thank you for your review and kind comments.

We are very welcoming of solo travellers and, for those travelling on their own, we have positioned a ‘Sharers’ table in the Dining room for those guests who would like company at meal-times.

Regarding your comments about the TV’s and Wi-Fi these have now been addressed and new TV’s positioned in all our Junior Suites. We do have black spots for mobile phone signal at Grayshott, and the signal in the village and surrounding area is also weak. Many of our guests are appreciative though of a rest from digital overload! However there are some areas of Grayshott, and phone networks, where signal is better. Additionally, each bedroom is provided with a telephone for internal and external use.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future for another relaxing stay.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I decided to take my wife away for 2 nights, having bid on this prize at a charity auction. Let me cut to the chase: the place is below par if you are used to luxury travel. The actual spa is 2 star at best. We had booked some treatments and found the whole experience disappointing. The robes are cheap, the spa reception is not manned after 5 pm, my wife was having a treatment with a shabby looking man in black street boots and looked like he was going for a job elsewhere but not in a spa. My wife thought it was a joke and asked for a female therapists. The rooms were too cold and the beds didn't have heating - a basic standard for high end spas. My actual massage was ok but again the man didn't exactly look well groomed, which is slightly off putting.
Our room was right above reception so you heard people checking in and out - first noise at 5 am. The dinner was actually tasty but the dining room had zero ambiance. We watched some TV on an old fashioned set. When we got hungry again, we found there was no room service and no mini bar. The night guard got us a bag of chips to carry us through the night. We checked out after one night, mesmerised how anybody would enjoy this place. In fairness the grounds are very nice but that's where it stops. We ended up driving to the Four Seasons Hampshire which was such a relief and blessing after the experience at the Grayshott.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mazy M

Dear Monac

I was very disappointed to read your comments concerning your stay with us.

We are always very keen to stress to new guests that we are a destination spa, not a hotel with spa treatment rooms.

We are very different from a hotel in that visits to Grayshott are aimed at improving health and well-being through therapeutic spa treatments, relaxation, exercise and healthy spa cuisine. Our guests come to relax, address a health issue, get fit or just to escape the stresses of everyday life.

We manage the restaurants and bar to support guests on their quest for well-being, with room service provided and no temptations outside of meal times. For those guests who require further food at dinner, or larger portions, we make every effort to accommodate their requests. Additionally, we close the bar at 10.00pm to ensure that guests sleeping upstairs are not disturbed.

Regarding our spa, we have recently been awarded 5 ‘Bubbles’ by the Good Spa Guide who stated “The spa offers an education to a healthier way of life, rather than simply a place to relax and recharge. The location, dedication and complete escape, as well as the excellent range of treatments, makes Grayshott worth every penny”.

Many of our therapists have been with us for a number of years and their professionalism and excellence is continually noted and appreciated by guests.

I hope this addresses your comments.

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Minor criticism first .. Only BBC channels worked on bedroom tv's
so if that bothers you then make sure you ask for room with good signal as I suspect this is an ongoing problem
. On the other hand wifi signal in room 18 great so can watch Corrie on Internet !
As we walked into Grayshott we were greeted in such a lovely way by the receptionists .. Before anything else I must say that without exception all the staff we met were
amazingly kind , polite , helpful ,
and the staff we didn't meet ( ie the chefs ) incredibly talented ..
The room was lovely .. The bed and bed linen so comfortable and room was spotless . Grayshott is just a fabulous place , I came there first 14 years ago ( pre - alchohol ! ) and I think I quite like the fact you can imbibe !
The treatments and the therapists were superb , of course they are not cheap , but nothing in Grayshott is
" cheap " and I think for the
Service and quality you receive there
that everything is actually good value for money .
Some people pointed out Grayshott takes day members , as though that was a bad thing .. Well the day members I met on the walks were charming ..
John in the gym , what a great guy , exactly the right kind of person to encourage you ..
My treatments were amongst the best I have ever had ( thank you Donna and Lil ) the pool is lovely , the spas great ( yes , they are away from the pool but that's not a problem )
If you have any doubts about coming here based on previous TA reviews then I would urge you to disregard them .. Grayshott is truly worth every
pound you spend here . !
My husband came on the " de stress" programme , unfortunately we had a flat tyre and thanks to the kind maintenance man who helped him he really managed to relax and he enjoyed his treatments as much as I did mine..
No mix ups in bookings at all and there is a very nice area to wait in till your therapist calls you , lots of
magazines and newspapers to read ..
everywhere ..,
for giving us such a wonderful time , hope we will return soon !!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jilly60

Dear Jilly60

Thank you for your review, and for your kind comments. I have duly passed your positive comments on to the Therapists and Gym staff you have mentioned.

Guests continually comment on the high level of service given by our staff and I am delighted that you mentioned this. Many of our guests return to us on a regular basis, and some have been visiting Grayshott for nearly 40 years!

I hope to welcome you back in in the near future to experience the unique relaxing atmosphere of Grayshott once again.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Spent a week at Grayshott doing their Health Regime..... And have waited a few weeks, to see the effect before I wrote my review.
Firstly, Grayshott itself ... Lovely manor house, graciously converted to a spa resort. A lovely lounge to relax in, newspapers, magazines, games, etc all laid out for you to read. Next room is the cinema room, nightly movie showings, and daily lectures take place there, and quite honestly, the best wifi reception around is in there. Then there is Bubbles Bar serving hot and cold drinks during the day, and healthy fruit cocktails and canapes in the evenings (um... If you aren't on the healthy regime that is!).

Reception .. The staff are charming, helpful, and always there when you need them. They have a large cupboard full of dvd's for you to borrow and take to your room for the evenings etc....

The spa itself .. It is a bit touch and go who you get as to how good your treatment will be. There are some very good .. Paul, Donat (sorry if i spelt that wrong) are to be commended. The rooms are all a bit all over the place, and am very glad I wasn't disabled! The disabled lift down to the indoor pool doesn't work.

The gym is run by very enthusiastic staff, all of whom are brilliant. So well done.

The shop .... Well, had very limited stock, I know the regime is new, but still no recipe book to go with it (it is in the pipeline) at least they could have had some GI Diet cook books in, as these probably follow the closest to the regime method. Considering the foods advocated on the refime, and the coconut oil etc nothing in stock. So the little farm opposite Grayshott did a roaring trade from us all. No little gifts to buy and take home to the children, or stock up on nail varnish colours, or make up etc etc they truly could do with going incognito to Ragdale Hall and learning a thing or two about retail and the art of getting customers to spend a lot more than they ever intended to!

The room ... Had a lovely mini suite. Having read the reviews, I expressly asked for a renovated room, and it was done to a lovely standard. I did look at other rooms, and can say the rooms in the actual manor house are stunning, nicely done, and full of character.

The regime is all about gut restoration ... Not specifically about making you lose weight.. But about re-educating yourself. So you meet your fellow guests who are on the regime, given a blue band to wear to distinguish you from other guests in the dinning room. Every day you have a team leader, headed up by Stephanie and backed up by Pippa. Every day there is a lunch time lecture .. Each day a different topic. You relearn about oils, fats, metabolism, what is healthy etc . There are a variety of different treatments complimenting the regime, the nurse will do blood tests,John in the gym will do the body analysis with you (and no it doesn't involve calipers measuring the inch! But a high tech set of scales that you stand on). The Regime is tough on you mentally and physically, and they are there to support you. I found the group of us doing the week, supported each other just as much. Some days are easier than others. Detoxing the body of sugar, caffeine, wheat and dairy is hard. But at the end of the week, I had glowing healthy skin, wasn't bloated, had lost 5.5lbs and had a plan to take home ( thank you Pippa!) on what would be good meals to have.

So a couple of weeks on, things are still going good. I have more energy, and realised that I must have struggled for years with an intolerance to wheat, as I feel so much better. Decided to try some white sourdough bread .. And within an hour realised how uncomfortable I felt.

The regime does work, if you are prepared to learn what they are teaching, and follow through when you get back home. It is dreadfully expensive, and I know they are planning on reviewing the price, and it certainly won't be going down.

The place is not crowded, it was lovely to swim in the outside pool, and the grounds are lovely. If you are a golfer, try and view the golf course are a putting green, because the moss and weeds in the grass will make your strokes rather challenging. The grounds back onto national parks, and the daily walks go into them, and deer were spotted.

Life stands still here and it was great to catch my breath, but would not view it as somewhere where I would go for a 'spa' break. But yes, for the regime.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bovills55
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Bovills55

Thank you for your very comprehensive review of the Grayshott Health regime.

I am delighted that, following your departure, you have continued your progress at home and that the Nutritionist’s eating plan has assisted you in maintaining the benefits of the regime.

We have now had several hundred people stay on the regime and our Health Consultants have recorded significant improvements to guests’ health, with notable weight loss, reduction in joint pain, lowering of blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and increased energy, a number of improvements that you have indeed experienced yourself and commented upon.

Regarding the expense of the regime, I would like to stress that the all inclusive rate from £1495 per person includes 7 nights’ accommodation, all meals during your stay, one to one Health, Nutritional, Fitness and Herbal consultations with specialists, educational lectures, daily support, plus therapeutic massages, Hydro baths and liver compresses. Many departing guests have commented on the value of the programme.

You may be interested to know that we offer a 4 night Regime Refresher, for those guests who have already undertaken the 7 day digestive regime and who would like to re-visit the programme and maintain the momentum.

I hope to welcome you back to Grayshott in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I have to agree with nomadwithpen. I have also championed Grayshott since 1999 and have visited almost every year. My first beef would be with the reservations person who sent me 2 abrupt emails responding to simple requests. The tone was not appropriate and didn't make me feel welcome. Please look at them Peter (manager). My junior suite was fine but neither TVs worked, despite someone fiddling with them (room 17). The food was delicious and apart from a mix-up with the sharers table, which meant I sat and ate alone on the first night, I couldn't fault anything. The treatments, therapists and staff generally are delightful - which brings me my next point. A discretionary 5% is added to the bill for the staff. I understand from another guest that they do not receive this. I hope this is not the case, but I think it is not good practise to add this to the bill in this sort of establishment. It seems that cuts have been made in staffing levels. Twice the spa was unattended. There was always some one on hand who would turn the shower on for you, have a towel ready, offer a cool face cloth when you entered the sauna, offer lime juice or water etc Small luxuries that all add up to make a really pampering experience and that is what it should be about. No one answering the phone on reception. Individually these points may seem petty, but I am not the only one to have noticed the difference. So, please wake up - it wouldn't take much to bring the standards back up to scratch.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Tillycan

Thank you for your review.

Regarding the emails you received from our Reservations department, I understand that my Reservations Manager has now been in touch to assure you that it was the Reservationist’s intention to be efficient and brief, and I can only apologies if this was construed as abrupt.

I am sorry that you experienced problems with televisions during your stay, since when we have replaced all the televisions in our Junior Suites to new digital models. I am only sorry that you did not benefit from these during your stay.

We introduced a discretionary 5% charge to guests’ bills several years ago in response to guests who wished to offer a gratuity to staff. I can assure you that monies accrued are apportioned to all waiting staff, front of house staff and spa therapists at Christmas time.

The spa is occasionally unattended when the attendant is undertaking body scrubs on guests, attending other guest, replenishing towels and amenities or assisting in the Hydrotherapy suite.

I am glad that you enjoyed the spa cuisine, treatments and staff during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Lovely place and lovely grounds for walking and golf par 3. Lovely outdoor and indoor pool.

Breakfast and lunch self service and good quality. However if your veggie or vegan you will struggle in the evening. Ask for extra vegetables is my tip. They need a good veggie option.
A nice touch would be fresh vegetable juice. I kind of expected this considering it is a health spa. i found the free filter coffee undrinkable, even after the waiter refreshed the pot. but good choice of teas. I did find that the public areas would better served if we had a higher level of lighting as this would lift ones spirits more, I know a very personal thing perhaps.

I would love to have rated " very good"....it would not take much to make me want to go again.

i enjoyed being in my room which was a Junior suite and a excellent large bed.
very poor wi fi and patchy but then do we need it at a spa?
Take advantage of the free walks and golf and take your bike.

Spa treatments are poor value and I experienced some booking confusion on my one treatment and twice someone knocked on the door. The treatment rooms are dark and small. I think the yoga and Pilates and Tai chi at £6 is possibly ok but why not free.

Staff were very polite and friendly at all times and after all it is only one hour from south west London,subject to A3 traffic re M25 problems.

Room Tip: Go for a junior suite if available but not room 34 as it backs on to the Jacuzzi in the indoor pool...
1  Thank DenniDenni

Dear DenniDenni

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your review and for highlighting your enjoyment of the grounds and golf course at Grayshott Spa. I hope that you also managed to partake of the exercise and relaxation classes, lunch-time talks and evening entertainment during your stay.

Whilst we make a nominal charge of £6 for an hour’s lesson of yoga, Tai Chi or Pilates I would like to stress that we do offer guests 51 complimentary exercise and relaxation classes, and supervised, walks each week.

Our spa treatments are priced from £35 to £85, the latter being over an hour in length, very specialised and undertaken by senior therapists. Whilst price is always a moot point we do consider that our treatment prices are good value, having not increased for several years and undertaken by highly qualified therapists, with many years experience.

We have experienced recent problems with WI-FI which were as a result of an external fault. We have since taken steps to rectify this and are confident that this has now been alleviated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Excellent! This Spa Hotel is warm, caring and friendly. It's a place where I feel safe and secure, even when I take myself off into the 'woods', so tranquil and relaxing within the 40 plus acres of grounds. The staff are very professional, friendly and courteous at all times. Treatments are a pleasure and beneficial. Facilities are plentiful and the tuition is first class.
The restaurant food is superb and plentiful, with fresh ingredients and very appealing to the eye. I travel alone and I find Grayshott Spa with all the above is the perfect sanctuary for me.

1  Thank Mag2707

Dear Mag 2707

Thank you for your kind review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and fully experienced all that Grayshott has to offer.

We pride ourselves on providing a sanctuary for all guests, but are especially aware of the needs of those guests staying on their own. To this end we provide a sharers table for guests travelling alone who would like to mingle at meal times with like minded guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future. In the meantime, thank you for your kind words.

Peter Wood

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayshott
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
The Devils Punchbowl
#1 of 1 in Hindhead
The Runnymede on Thames
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course

Been to Grayshott Spa? Share your experiences!