“Probably better day spas elsewhere but good for detox/recoveryy”

Grayshott Health Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayshott
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Probably better day spas elsewhere but good for detox/recoveryy”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

A good spa - different to a hotel (and not as luxurious or as stylish as a five star hotel) as you can walk around in bathrobes. The treatments I had - a facial with Faye and a massage with Matt - were really excellent and I have not had better elsewhere. It was slightly odd to have a facial with someone wearing gloves to do it to start with - the brand Murad insist on it apparently but I soon got used to it and Faye really was good at it, lovely to chat to and very informative.
The food was healthy but just above average. I had a salty veg soup but then again most of the other guests were much older than me so they probably like it that way whereas I do not add much salt to my cooking. The salads looked nice but were frankly boring bar the seafood one which was good. Some not exciting salad dressings too but again perhaps that was for the older guests as I really like fab Ottolenghi salads so mine when made from his book are far better. I suggest that they buy this cook book and give their guests some tasty as well as healthy salads.
Everywhere I looked I couldn't help noticing that it was a bit shabby - one loo seat was wonky, one didn't flush properly, there was paint peeling off window frames, the outside pool area could have done with a tidy up as it looked messy from the indoor pool (which was a bit chilly for me but would have been a great temperature for a good workout in), and the path between the pools was shabby - they need to plant some Box balls to make it all look smarter from the indoor pool. But perhaps no one else noticed? There seemed to be a lack of care in that the blinds in the Bubbles Bar were wonkily pulled up and looked scruffy, I thought that the Christmas decorations could have been a bit nicer but perhaps I am fussy. The staff were nice but I could not get anyone to give me change (they didn't have any) so that I could tip the spa staff - I went between the front desk, the shop and another office twice in the day trying. A bit annoying and I am sorry that Faye never got her thank you from me but I did try.

Would I come again? I was disappointed by the lack of style/interior design - a bit bland and not what I expected - the buildings were ugly from the pool (70s hotel room added to the beautiful main house) but the staff were nice. I had a good pilates class that cost me £6 on top of my day spa price (think that was about £175) but the whole set up was messy - lots of walking around in almost circles to get to my changing room (weirdly not near the pool either) and other spa areas. A man must have designed it as a woman would have been much more practical! In one drinks area you could get tea but not coffee - the coffee area was the other end of the building which upset some guests. So I am not sure it is good for a day spa - I think that there are better and cheaper ones I could go to- but I did see many people that were recovering from illnesses and operations, need a detox so I think that it would be a good place to come for that and they have some interesting healthy eating/living courses. There are many older people so it is not really a young funky place which will suit some but not others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DandNikki
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear DandNikki

Thank you for your review.

As a spa hotel we differ from a hotel with a spa, in providing a retreat for those guests who wish to address their health and well-being, whether to get fit, de-stress, address a health issue or simply relax and escape the stresses of everyday life. Our approach encompasses therapeutic treatments, exercise and relaxation classes and nutritious spa cuisine.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your facial with Faye and your massage with Matt and will forward your kind remarks to both. The Murad treatment facial you had with Faye requires gloves to be worn due to the high concentration of active ingredients, designed to provide results and a noticeable skin improvement.

I am sorry that you found the soup to be a little too salty. Our chefs use salt sparingly, preferring instead to use fresh herbs. Our spa cuisine has won several awards and we continually receive complimentary reviews from departing guests.

As Grayshott is an old building I am sure you can appreciate that we have an ongoing programme of redecoration and refurbishment. The issues you raised regarding the toilets have already been addressed; the window frames and outside areas are scheduled when the weather improves. Additionally, at the time you visited Grayshott, we had just experienced very significant high winds and rain which had affected the gardens and outside areas by the pool.

Peter Wood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Oxford
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I've tried a number of spas, in the UK and abroad and, for me, Grayshott is perfect. It isn't glitzy and glamorous - it's comfortable and quiet with experienced, nurturing staff, great food, well equipped bedrooms and guests who want to chill out and refresh themselves, not show off their latest gym kit and tattoos. I will certainly look no further next time I want a break.

Room Tip: It was nice to have floor to ceiling windows overlooking the garden
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear JHNOxford

Thank you for your kind comments. You have certainly captured the essence of Grayshott in your review.

We pride ourselves on the holistic approach we take to our treatments, therapies, exercise and nutrition, all of which are designed to leave guests feeling rested and rejuvenated, and I am glad to read that these had the desired effect on you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Given this was a 2-night girls trip away treat from a pregnant friend before her baby arrives, I can't comment about value for money, as I don't know.
An easy journey by car to London, set in lovely grounds and overall an impressive building.

The food was incredibly good. It's plentiful at breakfast & lunch but dinner is carefully portioned with reason. It really made us aware of how much we normally unnecessarily eat in the evening!

The beds are very comfy and beautiful bathroom though I hardly used it as the spa facilities suited me after using the small but well-equipped gym and pool area.
The staff are very friendly (bar one frosty mannered person) and helpful. We had a brief tour but probably wise to get a more thorough one of the changing rooms, relaxation, showers etc.
We had a relaxing time and took advantage of both classes and treatments.

The classes & instructors were all great and despite them obviously not having time to know individual needs/abilities, were really encouraging & supportive.

However, I'm afraid my nature is one to find fault and notice other people when they do they same so here are a couple of things that could have made it perfect. Quite a few people had the same issue with the water temperature - very hit & miss in various areas - often going cold. The pool and hydro area seemed to be cooler than the advertised temperatures too. Dust the plastic flowers too ;-)

There was confusion over where things were, as it didn't always make sense. It definitely took some getting used to and planning: moving between pool to day spa to WC with showers & lockers being distant. Also didn't make sense to have to go back to pool area to use the swimsuit-drying machine after plunge pool.

There was info about mealtimes & the food policy at each table but the rainbow plates made no sense until I discovered the "rules" on a windowsill hidden by curtain.
One other thing about nutrition - I couldn't understand why there weren't "contains..." info in the buffet areas or on the a la carte menu. Lots of people have intolerance and it's not always convenient to ask someone what ingredients are.

It wasn't a problem that the TV was limited as it makes a change and the whole point was to escape to a quiet haven. Hardly used the Internet but was good coverage where we were. I kept my phone out of my sight as much as possible and that was bliss that there was a clear no phone policy.
The public areas aren't always warm (unless you grab a fire seat in lounge) so do layer up in the evening.

Back to value... my basic maths knowledge gives me an idea given the optional discretionary 5% tip added to the bill. Speaking of, I'd have preferred to have been asked at check-in if we would like that or the option to tip as we went along to give direct to the individuals who stood out. Plus I'd already tipped before we knew this as the info was only given on the last day. It's an uncomfortable issue for me. Anyway, I'd say it's a fair cost for a 2-night stay with 6 meals included and free (they're not all free) gym classes and film / talk options in the cinema.

Despite my couple of grumbles, I would recommend a stay here. Whether on your own, a couple, with a friend or family, you will feel very comfortable here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Babycamille

Thank you for your review and your kind comments.

Unfortunately we experienced water temperature problems in the hydro pool the weekend of your stay. However these were quickly remedied but not, unfortunately, until after your departure.

We introduced a 5% discretionary charge on bookings, in response to guest comments, as many of our guests found ‘tipping’ to be awkward. The charge is highlighted on all booking information and on our website. This is a discretionary charge only and we are more than happy to remove it at the guests’ request, or if they have already chosen to single out a member of staff for a gratuity.

As you mentioned, several of the gym classes are chargeable, with a small charge levied for Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi; however we do offer 40 additional classes on a complimentary basis.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the treatments, food, exercise classes and treatments, and that you had a relaxing and enjoyable time.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Just come back from a one night Spa break, what a wonderful place, clean and very well equipped, and the staff are all so friendly and helpful. A big thank you to Helga who's in charge of the Spa area, she is an absolute delight. She made me feel so welcome and comfortable, and couldn't do enough for you. I had a back massage with Paul, a big thank you to him for all the advice he gave regarding my broken collar bone.
Would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank marmaduchess
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Marmaduchess

Thank you for your kind comments.

We pride ourselves on the high level of service our staff give to all our guests, something that is continually remarked upon. I was therefore delighted that you had singled out Helga and Paul and will pass on your kind comments to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have been visiting Grayshott Spa for eight years now, and each time the experience is superb. I am given what I now consider to be 'my' room for each visit. The staff immediately recognise me. The staff at Reception are friendly and efficient - nothing is too much trouble for them. The high quality of the Spa treatments ensures that the visit is relaxing and pampering. The staff in the Dining Room look after individual needs, are solicitous but unobtrusive.
It is quiet haven with full luxory.
I return totally relaxed. Their reputation is well deserved.
Geraldine.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden are excellent.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear GeraldineP

Thank you for your kind comments.

I am delighted that we have exceeded your expectations on each of your visits over the past 8 years, and that the calm, relaxing atmosphere of Grayshott has the desired effect, in keeping with the motto on the tower at the entrance “Peace on Arrival. Health on departure”.

London
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Just got back after a one night stay at Grayshott. May I just point out from the very beginning that this is a spa hotel, not a hotel with a spa, there is a difference!
This little get away was booked by my mum as a a nice mother daughter experience, however there were many solo travellers happily enjoying their stays also which I thought was great.

Every member of staff was welcoming, helpful and couldn't do enough for you. Check in was smooth, we didn't wait long for our room (was ready an hour before we expected it to be) and the porters were very good and insisted on helping us with our bags. We were also given a tour whilst waiting for our room by one of the porters.

Our room was lovely, we had a junior suite which was a good size and had a lovely view of the grounds. It was very clean and well presented. The beds were also very comfortable, in fact I had a 10 hour sleep due to being so relaxed and so comfortable.

Tea and coffee are included in the price and are available pretty much throughout the whole day, as well as bottled water.

The spa facilities are of a good standard and are kept clean and replenished with towels etc.
I had 3 treatments at the spa: a Himalayan Salt Scrub, a massage and a gel manicure. I would like to highlight and give thanks to the therapists I had: Tamsin, Beata and Kelly, my experience was fantastic. I especially loved being able to choose an oil to a fragrance that I liked to be used during my scrub and massage. My nails look lovely and I am so pleased with them so thanks again Kelly.
My mum had a massage, a facial and a pedicure and she also thought her experience was fantastic.

The spa provides exercise classes throughout the day if you want to take part as well as ground walks. The whole atmosphere at Grayshott is peaceful, there isn't people shouting, using phones constantly, radios blaring, it's just a completely relaxing place in which you can just get away from it all.

The food is based around healthy eating and as a person that does try to eat healthy but wasn't actually going to Grayshott for this, I still really enjoyed the food that I ate. I especially enjoyed dinner in the evening. Everything was so tasty, had full flavour and was cooked to perfection. We both had the duck breast to start followed by the sirloin steak and a forest fruit Greek yogurt desert to finish. We are still talking about that meal now!

I cannot fault this spa at all and I am confused when I see unhappy reviews. I would definitely reccomend Grayshott and I would especially recommend it if you do want to get involved in lots of exercise classes and eat clean for a few days. Without the temptation of indulgences as you will not find fried food, coke, beer etc here (they do serve wine in the eve as well as a fruit cocktail- non alco)then I'm sure you will achieve a goal whatever it may be.

If you are thinking about booking, then I would say go ahead!

Thank you Grayshott.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank GeorgieSmith
Dear GeorgieSmith

Thank you for your very comprehensive review of Grayshott, and for your kind comments.

I am delighted that you highlighted the differences between Grayshott Spa and a hotel with a spa, primarily that Grayshott is a spa hotel with healthy cuisine, therapeutic spa treatments and exercise and relaxation classes all designed to address health and well-being.

We look forward to welcoming you and your mother back to Grayshott in the near future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Spent 2 nights here and really enjoyed it. I looked for somewhere to come alone and this place is perfect - really welcoming of solo travellers. I made the most of the amazing countryside that backs on to the grounds (once again a great place to wander on your own), the lovely pool and spa and the very enjoyable treatments. The food, particularly in the evening, was of a high standard and very enjoyable (although might be less varied for vegetarians perhaps).

This is meant to be a healthy living break and so portions are deliberately restrained with healthy fruit/yoghurt type desserts. I thought this was great - it makes it easy to come here and not drink any wine, not eat anything bad for you and do some exercise. Those people who give the place bad reviews are looking for something different. From my observation it isn't necessarily the place to come if you want an indulgent (in the food and wine sense) romantic weekend break. Rooms are clean and calm rather than luxurious.

Helpfully this place is easily accessible from London by train and a 10min taxi. I do agree that perhaps the technology could be better: TVs with more channels, better wifi and phone reception. Apart from that it is a good place to come to get away from it all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TheAdventurer1234
Dear TheAdventureTwins

Thank you for your review and kind comments.

We are very welcoming of solo travellers and, for those travelling on their own, we have positioned a ‘Sharers’ table in the Dining room for those guests who would like company at meal-times.

Regarding your comments about the TV’s and Wi-Fi these have now been addressed and new TV’s positioned in all our Junior Suites. We do have black spots for mobile phone signal at Grayshott, and the signal in the village and surrounding area is also weak. Many of our guests are appreciative though of a rest from digital overload! However there are some areas of Grayshott, and phone networks, where signal is better. Additionally, each bedroom is provided with a telephone for internal and external use.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future for another relaxing stay.

Peter Wood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayshott
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
The Runnymede on Thames
The Georgian Hotel
The Georgian Hotel
#2 of 2 in Haslemere

Been to Grayshott Health Spa? Share your experiences!