“Dishonnest hypocritical management”

Grayshott Health Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayshott
Reviewed 28 January 2014

In May 2013, my mother, my sister and I stayed at Grayshott Spa for 2 nights. When we booked we specicifically asked for rooms not overlooking the roof with the air conditionning purring all night. What did we get? Precisely what we did not want. And one of the rooms had a blocked toilet. There was a huge mix up with the booking and our stay was alltogether disastrous: very poor food, terrible service, unconcerned staff, and a persistant inability to understand that there were three of us. The waiters were particularly rude and incapable of explaining what was going to be on the plate. We wrote to Peter Wood General manager explaining exactly what had gone wrong. He answered saying he had contacted all of the staff and was appaled to discover that Grayshott did at that particular occasion his standards. As compensation he offered one free night for our next stay. He led us to believe that his staff had been briefed about our stay. But when we tried to give Grayshott one last chance, we were offered the same rooms as the ones we had complained about. They certainly know how to get rid of "valued" customers. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank N B
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear NBParis

I was disappointed to read your review.

I note that you booked the special offer discounted stay for yourself, your mother and sister just prior to arrival, when we had very limited single room availability. You chose not to upgrade to standard rooms. We made every effort to accommodate your party, necessitating two persons being given single rooms with limited views. You were informed of the rooms allocated, two of which you had stayed in on previous occasions. The third person was allocated a room with a lake view.

Following your stay you were each offered a complimentary return stay, and requested to take this up over the Christmas period. We agreed to accommodate you at this very busy, and more expensive, time of year. However, having reserved the rooms for your party, and subsequently receiving no further communication from yourselves, despite numerous efforts, the rooms were re-allocated.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the spa cuisine or the staff, both of which our departing guests frequently comment on and warmly commend. I do hope that you decide to return to Grayshott in the near future and give us the opportunity to address your previous concerns.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Visited Grayshott Spa this weekend just gone as a spur of the moment decision and had a fantastic time. I have been twice before and was not disappointed this time either. The therapists were lovely and all the staff amazingly helpful and friendly. Nothing is too much trouble for anyone. Food excellent, service excellent. You feel like you are in a tiny bubble and can just escape from the world for a short space of time which is a lovely feeling. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you are single but can afford it, choose a double room, the beds are huge so there is not risk of...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lesley N

Dear LesleyN

Thank you for your kind comments.

We pride ourselves on the high level of service our staff give to all our guests, something that is continually remarked upon. I was therefore delighted that you had singled out the therapists and will pass on your kind comments to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

What a lovely place Grayshott is. We went for 2 nights and our reservation included 2 treatments. This place is located in cool period building with massive common area rooms, fireplaces and even has its own cinema. Our room was nice and cozy overlooking outside swimming pool. Very healthy and balanced food was also included in our stay. Plenty of board games in common area so we played scrabble every night with a bottle of red. Sauna and steam room facilities are great although would've been nice to have it mixed-sex as my wife and I had to spend time alone. Outdoor space is awesome, you can play tennis or golf or eve croquette. All in all after 2 days in Grayshott we felt so revitalised as if we were on a 2 weeks holidays. Well done to people running Grayshott.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alex F

Dear AlexF

Thank you for your kind comments.

I am delighted that the calm, relaxing atmosphere of Grayshott had the desired effect on you and that you left feeling revitalised, in keeping with the motto on the tower at the entrance “Peace on Arrival. Health on departure”.

I was also please to read that you enjoyed all the aspects of Grayshott during your stay: the therapeutic treatments, healthy cuisine, spa facilities and outdoor areas.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Took my two daughters here for the A la carte Spa day last week. It took us three hours to drive from SE19 to Grayshott in awful traffic so were in great need of relaxation when we arrived. We registered promptly, were given robes, slippers and brief guided tour after which we tried to take advantage of the steam room and sauna.

Unfortunately our morning sauna & steam visit was marred by a couple of older women who were using the cover of nudity to expose themselves, laying on benches with their legs wide open! The attendant saw what was going on but did not seem concerned so we did not complain but really
what is wrong with keeping bikini bottoms on?

We left the relaxation zone for the pool before getting ready for lunch. Lunch was served in beautiful dinning room, it was delicious, healthy and lots of choice. Waiting staff were polite and attentive. The best but about lunch was seeing Iain Glenn, one of our fave characters from Game of Thrones, apparently he's a Grayshott regular.

Took a post lunch walk around the grounds which are lovely and well kept but the charming 200 year old parts of the building are in need of renovation, and the 1970s extension looked like it needed a complete overhaul.

We all had a therapy each and thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon steam and sauna session as the female flashers had left. If it wasn't for that unsightly conduct we would have given this venue a higher rating.

Next time we will stick with one the Central London spas to avoid the stressful journey and the full on nudity.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Amanda S

Dear AmandaS

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you and your daughters enjoyed your buffet lunch, spa treatments and the spa facilities during your spa day. I am sorry that the behaviour of two guests marred your enjoyment, and have discussed this with the Spa Attendant.

I understand that you experienced a lengthy journey out of London, with bad traffic. The usual journey time is 1 hour, as many of our spa day guests arrive from London for a day of relaxation. I hope that you will consider coming to Grayshott for an overnight stay in the future, offsetting any possible traffic problems.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I booked one of the new Repair and Restore packages with my daughter, for early January. We'd had a very harrowing six months and wanted a clean break with much pampering. Grayshott delivered just what we wanted - it is a beautiful building in picturesque grounds, with polite, helpful and enthusiastic staff, excellent facilities, wonderfully restorative treatments and delicious healthy food. It must be borne in mind that this is a spa - designed to promote healthy living - not an ordinary hotel, so the menu is restricted to fresh, healthy food in the right proportions. There is no mini bar or snacks, and no fried food - a surprising but very welcome change. The treatments we had were extremely relaxing and delivered by friendly professional staff in relaxing rooms. The indoor pool was warm and clean, with a hydrotherapy pool beside it. The gym was well equipped. The whole experience was such a positive and restorative one that I would definitely recommend it to anyone, and am hoping to return in the future.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a junior suite because we wanted a little extra space. At the rear of the building ov...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen C
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear KarenC

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments.

I am delighted that you and your daughter enjoyed your Repair & Restore spa break, one of the 6 new spa breaks we have introduced in this our golden anniversary year.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the spa facilities, treatments and spa cuisine and hope to welcome you back to Grayshott in the near future.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I like to go to Grayshott twice a year. I have a very stressful job and I like 2 days of me time to relax.
From the moment I arrive I feel better. Some of the staff have been there for years and are attentive and welcoming and remember me by name.
The rooms are great, the food excellent and the treatments sublime.
I like the fact that Grayshott is just a spa. Plenty of hotels offer a spa service but it doesn't feel quite the same sitting in your robe enjoying a leisurely lunch with men in suits sitting next to you planning a deal.
You never feel rushed or busy like some chain spas in the same area.
Thank you for maintaining my sanity and I will be back in March.

Room Tip: Go of a junior suite. They don't cost much more than a standard and you get much more space with...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah R

Dear SarahR

Thank you for your kind review.

I am delighted that you highlighted the difference between Grayshott, as a destination spa hotel, and a hotel with a spa, namely that guests come to Grayshott to address their health and well-being.

We look forward to welcoming you back in March.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I have been to stay at Grayshott many times over the past few years and my recent stay was better than ever. A friend and I stayed for 2 nights just before Christmas - if only we had been able to stay for longer! Our room was spacious and very comfortable with a glorious view over the grounds. The staff, as ever, were very friendly and helpful and the treatments couldn't be bettered. I had a classic massage, a holistic massage and reflexology, all of which were superb. I love the way that at Grayshott you leave the world behind and enter a caring, gentle, comfortable environment where there is nothing to worry about or think about. I very much enjoyed the early morning walks with super fast John the trainer and the very well taught Pilates class. The food is excellent and the facilities are just right and not too busy. We left feeling absolutely wonderful! My only concern is "Where have the 6pm canapés gone?!". Thank you Grayshott for another fabulous stay.

Room Tip: The junior suites are lovely. In the summer it's great to have a downstairs room with patio door...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alex555510

Dear Alex555510

Thank you for the review following your recent 2 night stay at Grayshott with your friend. I have duly passed on your kind comments to the staff you mentioned.

I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and left Grayshott feeling renewed, very much in keeping with the inscription seen on the tower at Grayshott:
Pax intrantibus. Salus exeuntibus - Peace on arrival. Health on departure.

Regarding the canapés you mentioned, we have now substituted healthier pre dinner ‘nibbles’ following advice from our Health Consultants.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future.

Peter Wood

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayshott
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 3 in Egham
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Grayshott Health Spa? Share your experiences!