“Enlightening and Educational”

Grayshott Health Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayshott
“Enlightening and Educational”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We, that is my husband and I, travelled to Grayshott Spa with trepidation as the closer we got the more I kept thinking of size 10 females in their designer leotards! How wrong was I. We arrived to find very welcoming reception staff who booked us in and assisted with our luggage. We were then given a tour of the amenities which we would be using during our 6 day stay.
We had booked the Health Regime and joined 9 others who were to be our allies for the week. We all attended lectures daily given by tutors who where 100% committed to what they were talking about. How refreshing and how educational. Would recommend to anyone, single or couple, to attend. We learnt so much and both lost an amazing amount of weight. WELL DONE GRAYSHOTT

Room Tip: We upgraded and booked a junior suite. Faultless.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear J U

Thank you for your kind words.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your week on the Grayshott Health regime and found it so instructive, with the additional benefit of your weight loss. You may be interested to know that we have now had hundreds of guests stay on the programme and our Health Consultants have recorded significant improvements to guests’ health, with notable weight loss, yourself included, reduction in joint pain, lowering of blood pressure and cholesterol levels and increased energy.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future. In the meantime, thank you for your recommendation and kind words, which I will pass on to the staff.

Peter Wood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Basingstoke
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I visited Grayshott with my mum last weekend, our third visit to the spa. We had a really relaxing weekend and some lovely treatments in the spa, but there were a few negative aspects this time around too.

Positives first:
- Our room was great. Comfy bed/pillows, nice bathroom, no noise disturbance whatsoever. We had a junior suite but have also stayed in a standard double before which was very nice too.
- Every single member of the waiting staff in the dining room was polite, attentive and welcoming at every meal. One waitress in particular really went the extra mile to try and help sort out an issue (see negatives below) and came over to us again later to see if everything was OK.
- The treatments I had were both lovely, the Grayshott massage in particular was really relaxing and ironed out all the aches and pains in my shoulders.
- Aqua class was great fun, the yoga and gentle walk were both good too.
- My final treatment was cancelled due to a therapist being off sick, and staff were great in trying to find an alternative treatment for me, and gave me a little box of goodies to take home.

And now for the negatives:
- On our first day we arrived at about 11am, as we have done in the past, and were informed that there was now an early arrival charge of £50! This wasn't mentioned when I booked over the phone, in my booking confirmation letter, or when I phoned up to request that we had lunch on our first day rather than our last (which should have been a clue that we were going to arrive before lunchtime). We weren't expecting to have access to our room at this point, just to relax, have a cup of tea and do a class before lunch. The lady on reception explained that this was a relatively new charge (so new that they're not telling people about it?!) and agreed to waive it.
- There were no earl grey teabags in the treatment waiting area as there have been in the past. My mum enquired about this, as earl grey is the only tea she drinks, and was told by reception that they are using a different tea company now and no longer offer earl grey. She pointed out that earl grey is a very popular tea but reception staff were quite dismissive and rather patronisingly suggested she try one of the herbal teas on offer instead. (One waitress however was lovely, as mentioned above, and offered my mum some of her own personal teabags to use.) The duty manager then came over to speak to us and said that certain teas are no longer available because of their new Grayshott Health regime - why, then, is sugar still freely available?! In the end we drove to a nearby supermarket to pick some up.
- The spa and sauna areas are a long walk from the swimming pool, bit of a strange set-up. The hydropool is not that warm and we only sat in it for five minutes before getting too chilly.
- Separate male and female spas; not a problem for us but might be an issue if you're visiting with a partner.
- A 5% service charge was added to our bill on check out. I was quite disgusted by this as it puts guests in the very awkward position of having to ask for it to be removed if they don't want to pay it. Quite frankly, when you're paying that much money for a spa weekend in the first place, you expect exemplary service to be included as standard, not to have to then pay extra for the privilege of it! This wasn't something they'd done on previous stays and it felt very money-grabbing and underhand.

Overall a lovely weekend and we still left feeling relaxed and refreshed, but on previous trips I would have given Grayshott 5 out of 5 without question and recommended it to everyone. This time it felt as though customer service and satisfaction had slipped down the agenda and that corners are being cut to meet profit margins. Grayshott needs to make up its mind about what it wants to be - if they want to focus purely on the new Grayshott Health regime, they need to stop offering "Indulgence" packages etc; if they want to keep offering these luxury packages too then they need to cater to these guests too in terms of food, selection of teas etc.

Good weekend but might give another spa a try in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jenkiness
Dear jenkiness

Thank you for your review following you and your mother’s stay at Grayshott.

I am delighted that you were happy with your room and that you found the staff attentive and welcoming. I am also pleased that you commented so positively on the spa treatments and the complimentary exercise class and supervised walks that you enjoyed.

I note that you were unhappy at the proposed charge for early arrival. However we do take great pains to stress to arriving guests that check-in is from 2.30pm, in order to allow sufficient time for the room to be serviced after departing guests have left at 12 noon. Should an arriving guest require early arrival we levy the charge of £50 as we need to ensure the room is vacated the day before. We do however offer guests arriving at lunch-time to enjoy lunch on arrival, rather than departure. If this is their intention we do request that prior notice be given. However this does not still guarantee that the room will be ready for occupation before 2.30pm.

As a health spa we offer a large selection of complimentary herbal and fruit teas in addition to black tea and coffee. I am sorry that your mother did not find a tea to her liking.

Regarding your comment about separate spas, we have always offered separate male and female spas and indeed all our literature and website pages clearly note this.

We introduced a discretionary 5% charge to guests’ bills several years ago in response to guests who wished to offer a gratuity to staff. This is clearly indicated on our website and on booking confirmation literature. I am sorry if you were unaware of this.

As a spa with 50 years heritage, we offer spa stays and days to relax and escape the stresses and strains of everyday life. We also offer a programme of digestive cleansing on our Health regime, and recuperation stays for guests post surgery. In order to address the differing goals and needs we offer separate menus for our Spa and Health guests. These divisions are all facets of Grayshott and are in simpatico with our goals of health and wellness.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My annual trip to Grayshott is over for another year, I can't wait for the next visit. I took my daughter and after our two nights and three days a la carte (no treatments beyond the terrific classic massages) we emerged rested, glowing and content. Yes some of the decor is looking a bit tired, but the essential elements are still in great shape. The wonderful Helga in the ladies spa, the friendly and attentive staff, delicious food, great facilities. I saw some bad reviews and wonder if I have been to the same place? Managing not to feel lost on the Common was one of my high points. For my daughter a session with a swim coach to gear up for triathlon. A note of caution if taking a daughter, she will also want it to be an annual trip!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Matt1107

Thank you for your kind comments.

We are always delighted when a departing guest remarks on the high level of service our staff give. I was therefore delighted that you had singled out Helga and will pass on your kind comments to her.

Many of our guests comment on how relaxed they feel when they arrive at Grayshott, and that they very quickly feel totally removed from the stresses and strains of everyday life, leaving feeling relaxed and rejuvenated at the end of their stay. And I am glad to see that we had a similar effect on yourself and your daughter.

We look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more.

Crowborough
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Just returned from a wonderful 2 night stay at Grayshott. Probably one of the best visits I have had to this lovely spa. Fabulous setting, amazing staff - one therapist I recognised from my first visit 9 years ago - that says a lot! Must make particular mention about the food which is of a very high standard, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. Great Bubbles Bar for those who enjoy a glass of wine. Lovely treatments, especially aromatherapy massage. Looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tricia G
Dear TriciaG

Thank you for your kind comments.

We pride ourselves on the high level of service our staff give to all our guests, something that is continually remarked upon. I was therefore delighted that you had singled out one of the therapists who you recognised from 9 years before!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more.

Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Food wonderful, staff so polite and helpful. Treatments gorgeous. I really recommend the Rose Indulgence treatment and the Rejuvenating Facial. Room lovely and warm. Bed really comfortable. Aquarobics is really good fun.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sheila H
Dear SheliaH

Thank you for your kind words.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of Grayshott during your stay with us.
I hope that we can welcome you back to Grayshott for your fourth visit in the very near future.

london
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My girlfriend and I planned our Christmas holiday to each other here, I spent the day here 3 years ago and had a vastly different experience. This time the pool and the hydro pool were cold. I asked the maintenance guy and the management to increase the temperature but they didn't bother. I wasn't the only guest to complain about it, the regular members of the Spa said it was like this for a few months now. Last time I visited the temperatures were perfect. There was only one shower in the men's spa that had hot water running and that was after letting it run for 20 minutes. The place is getting tired looking and it seems that management have stopped caring, it also seems like there are too many of them.

The general staff were excellent and the food was good. The wine list wasn't the best and very overpriced for what was on offer.

This used to be a great place to visit but I feel its been a victim of its own success and trading on its old reputation.

Room Tip: Ask to see if they have hot water
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PandaCatcher
Dear PandaCatcher

Thank you for your review.

Unfortunately when you stayed at Grayshott we experienced boiler problems with the indoor swimming pool and men’s spa this was duly rectified, but not until after you had left us. The pool is now back to its usual 29 degrees.

I am pleased that you singled out the staff as being excellent. Many of our staff have been with us for many years and guests usually praise them for their high standards of service and care.

As a health spa many of our guests are looking to de-tox during their time at Grayshott. However, for other guests who would like to drink wine we offer a manageable wine list to accommodate the small wine sales. Our wine prices are in keeping with other hotel establishments.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I visited Grayshott for the first time with a girl friend who was celebrating a significant birthday. She had stayed a couple of times and recommended it to me. The overall atmosphere was warm and friendly. Our single rooms were comfortable although the bathrooms were a tad on the small side. The food was excellent particularly the delicious soups at both lunch and dinner. Portion sizes were fairly well controlled for which I was grateful. The exercise classes were varied and particularly John was an excellent trainer. A comprehensive number of treatments are also offered and with our two night stay we had two inclusive treatments. Both therapists who looked after me were very knowledgeable. Some areas could do with updating but overall it was a very comfortable and enjoyable stay and we are already planning a return visit later in the year.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sue D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayshott
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,504 reviews
The Runnymede on Thames

Been to Grayshott Health Spa? Share your experiences!