“Lovely place but not for me.”

Grayshott Health Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayshott
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Lovely place but not for me.”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay at Graysbott Spa, lovely place and gorgeous setting, the staff were lovely, very friendly and welcoming. However, probably not the place if you are looking for an indulgent break that you have saved up for! Felt slightly as if I was in an upmarket convalescent home, (and I am no spring chicken!) Some areas a bit tired and dated, room okay but nothing special. The treatments are expensive, although my massage was lovely, the nail file and polish was way overpriced for what it was. The food was interesting, healthy, as you would expect but lunchtime salads rather bland. Good indoor pool and Jacuzzi, but could have been warmer. If you are looking to detox and money is no object it's great, but for more of a treat/pampering weekend you would be better off at a hotel with spa facilities. A trivial point, but worth mentioning, the robe and slippers provided are no good if you are petite, absolutely huge!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Yvieh

Thank you for your review and for your favourable comments on the setting, staff, facilities and spa treatments.

We are always careful to stress that Grayshott is a destination spa, and not a hotel with spa, where visits are designed to improve guests’ health and well-being and to leave them feeling rested and rejuvenated.

We offer spa stays and days to relax, indulge and de-stress. We also offer a programme of digestive cleansing to address health, and recuperation stays for guests post surgery. In order to address the differing goals and needs we offer separate menus for our Spa and Health guests. These divisions however are all facets of Grayshott and dovetail with our goals of health and well-being.

Regarding your comment about your ill-fitting robe and slippers, I am disappointed that this was not raised with our Reception as they would have been happy to replace these for a more suitable size.

Peter Wood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My husband and I spent a night here and it is a beautiful hotel in a gorgeous location with attentive staff always on hand to offer help and advice.

We loved our room with it's beautiful bay window looking over the grounds and the woods beyond and yet there were so many other places where you could relax with a book or enjoy a coffee and a chat.

The list of spa treatments gave us plenty of choice and we were very happy with the service provided. There was always something to do but as the sun was shining, we spent much of the last afternoon outside.

Food was delicious and varied, giving me some good ideas on how to eat healthily at home. We had read some negative reviews about dinner but as we made lunch our main meal of the day with their fabulous buffet we did not feel hungry after the three course dinner.

I can highly recommend this as a brilliant place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sara R

I am delighted that you and your husband enjoyed your recent stay at Grayshott .

As a destination spa of 50 years standing, we pride ourselves on our holistic approach to health, providing therapeutic treatments, healthy spa cuisine and a calm, relaxed ambience. I am pleased to see that these all contributed to you and your husband’s relaxation.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

It it exactly a week since I returned from my 2day stay at Grayshott, and I am so glad that I took up the discounted offer to return in October. I am so looking forward to it. The relaxing, tranquil time I spend there is made all the more lovely by the people that are there to look after my every whim. The food, surroundings, staff and ambience always do wonders to my stress levels. Whilst there may be times when they run out of a certain teabag, or the water pressure is a bit erratic, the overall experience is one of complete bliss. I was told the place was full to almost capacity, yet I always had the pool, jaccuzi, gym and spa all to myself, and only saw throngs of guests at meal times. This has pretty much been the case on all my visits. I have found, in my experience, the management of my booking and stay, and any special requirements, to have been attended to with respect and grace. "Peace on Arrival, Health on Departure" is the motto above the door. How apt that is. If I break down the costs of my stay to an hourly rate, (which I have), this place is value for money. I view my visits at a hardworking, health affirming stay. I leave knowing I have achieved my goal, with a spring in my step and a shiny outlook on life. Where else would I get all these amenities, opportunities and top class food, under one roof? Thank you Grayshott. I am reminded of the saying "You can't please all the people all the time", In my experience you work hard to achieve this.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Emma H

Thank you for your kind comments.

I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of Grayshott and have duly commented in your review.

At Grayshott we pride ourselves on the high level of personal service our staff give to all our guests, something that guests continually remark upon, as well as our renowned treatment therapists, and our award winning cuisine, and I was delighted to see that you had singled these out in your review. I will pass on your comments to the staff.

I am pleased to see that you have also commented on Grayshott being ‘value for money’. The price of our spa breaks includes accommodation, all meals, spa treatments, daily entertainment, unlimited use of the spa facilities, exercise classes, supervised walks, and tea and coffee throughout the day.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in October to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more.

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just had the most fantastic weekend break at Grayshott. So relaxing and that is mainly due to the lovely staff who are so attentive and make it so worth a visit to this great hotel. Looking forward to the next visit already.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the garden, if possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Geraldine L

Thank you for your kind comments.

We are always delighted when a departing guest remarks on the high level of service our staff give. I was therefore delighted that you had singled this out and will pass on your kind comments to the staff.

Many of our guests comment on how relaxed they feel when they arrive at Grayshott, and that they very quickly feel totally removed from the stresses and strains of everyday life, leaving feeling relaxed and rejuvenated at the end of their stay. And I am glad to see that we had a similar effect on yourself.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We, that is my husband and I, travelled to Grayshott Spa with trepidation as the closer we got the more I kept thinking of size 10 females in their designer leotards! How wrong was I. We arrived to find very welcoming reception staff who booked us in and assisted with our luggage. We were then given a tour of the amenities which we would be using during our 6 day stay.
We had booked the Health Regime and joined 9 others who were to be our allies for the week. We all attended lectures daily given by tutors who where 100% committed to what they were talking about. How refreshing and how educational. Would recommend to anyone, single or couple, to attend. We learnt so much and both lost an amazing amount of weight. WELL DONE GRAYSHOTT

Room Tip: We upgraded and booked a junior suite. Faultless.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear J U

Thank you for your kind words.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your week on the Grayshott Health regime and found it so instructive, with the additional benefit of your weight loss. You may be interested to know that we have now had hundreds of guests stay on the programme and our Health Consultants have recorded significant improvements to guests’ health, with notable weight loss, yourself included, reduction in joint pain, lowering of blood pressure and cholesterol levels and increased energy.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future. In the meantime, thank you for your recommendation and kind words, which I will pass on to the staff.

Basingstoke
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I visited Grayshott with my mum last weekend, our third visit to the spa. We had a really relaxing weekend and some lovely treatments in the spa, but there were a few negative aspects this time around too.

Positives first:
- Our room was great. Comfy bed/pillows, nice bathroom, no noise disturbance whatsoever. We had a junior suite but have also stayed in a standard double before which was very nice too.
- Every single member of the waiting staff in the dining room was polite, attentive and welcoming at every meal. One waitress in particular really went the extra mile to try and help sort out an issue (see negatives below) and came over to us again later to see if everything was OK.
- The treatments I had were both lovely, the Grayshott massage in particular was really relaxing and ironed out all the aches and pains in my shoulders.
- Aqua class was great fun, the yoga and gentle walk were both good too.
- My final treatment was cancelled due to a therapist being off sick, and staff were great in trying to find an alternative treatment for me, and gave me a little box of goodies to take home.

And now for the negatives:
- On our first day we arrived at about 11am, as we have done in the past, and were informed that there was now an early arrival charge of £50! This wasn't mentioned when I booked over the phone, in my booking confirmation letter, or when I phoned up to request that we had lunch on our first day rather than our last (which should have been a clue that we were going to arrive before lunchtime). We weren't expecting to have access to our room at this point, just to relax, have a cup of tea and do a class before lunch. The lady on reception explained that this was a relatively new charge (so new that they're not telling people about it?!) and agreed to waive it.
- There were no earl grey teabags in the treatment waiting area as there have been in the past. My mum enquired about this, as earl grey is the only tea she drinks, and was told by reception that they are using a different tea company now and no longer offer earl grey. She pointed out that earl grey is a very popular tea but reception staff were quite dismissive and rather patronisingly suggested she try one of the herbal teas on offer instead. (One waitress however was lovely, as mentioned above, and offered my mum some of her own personal teabags to use.) The duty manager then came over to speak to us and said that certain teas are no longer available because of their new Grayshott Health regime - why, then, is sugar still freely available?! In the end we drove to a nearby supermarket to pick some up.
- The spa and sauna areas are a long walk from the swimming pool, bit of a strange set-up. The hydropool is not that warm and we only sat in it for five minutes before getting too chilly.
- Separate male and female spas; not a problem for us but might be an issue if you're visiting with a partner.
- A 5% service charge was added to our bill on check out. I was quite disgusted by this as it puts guests in the very awkward position of having to ask for it to be removed if they don't want to pay it. Quite frankly, when you're paying that much money for a spa weekend in the first place, you expect exemplary service to be included as standard, not to have to then pay extra for the privilege of it! This wasn't something they'd done on previous stays and it felt very money-grabbing and underhand.

Overall a lovely weekend and we still left feeling relaxed and refreshed, but on previous trips I would have given Grayshott 5 out of 5 without question and recommended it to everyone. This time it felt as though customer service and satisfaction had slipped down the agenda and that corners are being cut to meet profit margins. Grayshott needs to make up its mind about what it wants to be - if they want to focus purely on the new Grayshott Health regime, they need to stop offering "Indulgence" packages etc; if they want to keep offering these luxury packages too then they need to cater to these guests too in terms of food, selection of teas etc.

Good weekend but might give another spa a try in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jenkiness
Dear jenkiness

Thank you for your review following you and your mother’s stay at Grayshott.

I am delighted that you were happy with your room and that you found the staff attentive and welcoming. I am also pleased that you commented so positively on the spa treatments and the complimentary exercise class and supervised walks that you enjoyed.

I note that you were unhappy at the proposed charge for early arrival. However we do take great pains to stress to arriving guests that check-in is from 2.30pm, in order to allow sufficient time for the room to be serviced after departing guests have left at 12 noon. Should an arriving guest require early arrival we levy the charge of £50 as we need to ensure the room is vacated the day before. We do however offer guests arriving at lunch-time to enjoy lunch on arrival, rather than departure. If this is their intention we do request that prior notice be given. However this does not still guarantee that the room will be ready for occupation before 2.30pm.

As a health spa we offer a large selection of complimentary herbal and fruit teas in addition to black tea and coffee. I am sorry that your mother did not find a tea to her liking.

Regarding your comment about separate spas, we have always offered separate male and female spas and indeed all our literature and website pages clearly note this.

We introduced a discretionary 5% charge to guests’ bills several years ago in response to guests who wished to offer a gratuity to staff. This is clearly indicated on our website and on booking confirmation literature. I am sorry if you were unaware of this.

As a spa with 50 years heritage, we offer spa stays and days to relax and escape the stresses and strains of everyday life. We also offer a programme of digestive cleansing on our Health regime, and recuperation stays for guests post surgery. In order to address the differing goals and needs we offer separate menus for our Spa and Health guests. These divisions are all facets of Grayshott and are in simpatico with our goals of health and wellness.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My annual trip to Grayshott is over for another year, I can't wait for the next visit. I took my daughter and after our two nights and three days a la carte (no treatments beyond the terrific classic massages) we emerged rested, glowing and content. Yes some of the decor is looking a bit tired, but the essential elements are still in great shape. The wonderful Helga in the ladies spa, the friendly and attentive staff, delicious food, great facilities. I saw some bad reviews and wonder if I have been to the same place? Managing not to feel lost on the Common was one of my high points. For my daughter a session with a swim coach to gear up for triathlon. A note of caution if taking a daughter, she will also want it to be an annual trip!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Matt1107

Thank you for your kind comments.

We are always delighted when a departing guest remarks on the high level of service our staff give. I was therefore delighted that you had singled out Helga and will pass on your kind comments to her.

Many of our guests comment on how relaxed they feel when they arrive at Grayshott, and that they very quickly feel totally removed from the stresses and strains of everyday life, leaving feeling relaxed and rejuvenated at the end of their stay. And I am glad to see that we had a similar effect on yourself and your daughter.

We look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more.

Peter Wood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayshott
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
The Georgian Hotel
The Georgian Hotel
#2 of 2 in Haslemere

Been to Grayshott Health Spa? Share your experiences!