Grayshott Health Spa
US$146
Travelocity
  • Bar/Lounge
US$145
All reviewshealthy foodlose weightindoor poolexercise classesde stresslife changingnational trust landjunior suitefruit cocktailindian head massagecinema roomnight breaklovely surroundingsrelaxing breaksingle roombirthday treatbuffet style
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have recently returned from a 4 night stay at this spa - it was wonderful - good food - excellent treatments - very kind staff (both therapists and general staff). A nice single room (not a broom cupboard as one sometimes gets for single accommodation) with lovely views over the grounds.Returned home much refreshed after some very enjoyable pampering - ready for the Spring! Cherry C

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Health Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear CherryC

Thank you for your kind comments.

We pride ourselves on the high level of service our staff give to all our guests, something that guests continually remark upon, as well as our renowned treatment therapists, and our award winning cuisine, and I was delighted to see that you had singled these out in your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more

Reviewed 25 March 2014

A fact finding weekend enjoyed thoroughly - this is a traditional spa with serious health & spa programmes including regimens for clients who have had surgery (eg.weight loss surgery).
The food is healthy but not spartan, and the spa facilities are excellent - sauna & steam rooms, good massage & tried interesting seaweed bath detox. Had a lovely walk on the adjourning common and watched a movie Gravity in the in house theatre. The rooms are spacious and well appointed & comfy lounges with lots of magazines. You can cycle, play a round of golf or join a group activity. The pool was a trifle cold but swimable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Comfy2

Thank you for your review.

I am always delighted when guests visit us for the first time and fully experience all aspects of Grayshott.

Many of our guests comment on how relaxed they feel when they arrive at Grayshott, and that they very quickly feel totally removed from the stresses and strains of everyday life, leaving feeling relaxed and rejuvenated at the end of their stay. And I am glad to see that we had a similar effect on yourself.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend at Grayshott Manor. It was our second visit and won't be our last. From the moment we walked through the doors we felt a sense of calm and tranquillity. As parents of two small children we needed a complete break and we got that - there is a lot to do during your stay and we never manage it all - we focussed on treatments and they were all top class. In addition to the spa, Grayshott has two lovely swimming pools, indoor tennis, a gym as well as a nine hole golf course. It is adjacent to a National Trust Park which was wonderful for walking. There is a full schedule of activities including health chats, movies and coaching to choose from or you can just curl up and read magazines and newspapers in one of the lovely relaxing living rooms. What we really loved is that there is no noise - everyone drifts around the Manor and you can do as much or as little as you like. The staff are all charming, gentle and helpful. The food is delicious and there is plenty of choice. We left Sunday afternoon feeling very chilled, wishing we could stay a bit longer and planning to return one day soon.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the grounds are beautiful.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SarahD

Thank you for your review following your and your husband’s recent stay.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated all aspects of Grayshott. As a health spa we offer a holistic approach to health, with visits designed to improve health and well-being, and to leave guests feeling rested, relaxed and rejuvenated.

We find that most of our guests are seeking to relax and escape the stresses and strains of everyday life, and therefore appreciate the calm, nurturing ambience of Grayshott in order to relax and revitalise, as you have commented on.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future. In the meantime, thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay at Grayshott and it was exactly what I had hoped for. Very well organized, well appointed with attentive and enthusiastic staff. My friends and I loved the fact that you could have meals in your robe and that dinner was not a dressed up affair--you are there to relax and unwind!!! not pile on make up and spend time doing your hair! All of the services were great and after Charlotte's power plate lesson I have joined a gym near my home so I can continue. If there was anything I had to complain about it was that some of the water pressure in the showers (both in the spa & in the rooms) was not very good and some of the showers needed upgrading. The lounges in the pool were not very comfortable but they were adequate. My biggest complaint was that the jacuzzi was not very hot--many of the jets were spouting cold water--not very relaxing. All in all, a GREAT time and I will definitely return.

Dear KATRIPUK

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated every aspect of Grayshott. We pride ourselves on providing a calm, nurturing atmosphere with very caring and professional staff who have a genuine desire to help guests achieve their goals, whether it be to de-stress, get fit, recuperate or simply relax and recharge.

You may have noticed the old inscription above the entrance to Grayshott which we feel still sums up Grayshott’s philosophy today: Pax intrantibus. Salus exeuntibus. Translated as “Peace on arrival. Health on departure”.

We have a continual programme of refurbishment throughout Grayshott and the issue you mentioned relating to water pressure is one that is currently being addressed. In addition, during your stay the Jacuzzi boiler was troublesome; this was mended but unfortunately not until after you had left us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grayshott in the near future. In the meantime, thank you for your recommendation and kind words.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I have been visiting Grayshott for almost 30 years. There have been many, many changes over the years of course but most of them seem to be an attempt at improvement. Recent introductions encountered on my weekend break there with friends are not.

For example, this new 5% service charge on checking out. I agree with one of the earlier reviewers that it makes you feel awkward to object to it. Fortunately, I decidied to pay it and offered my Amex card. When I was told that there was a 3% charge for using that card I didn't feel so bad in asking them to remove the 5% charge. If they were going to charge for a card I have used in hotels all over the world without charge, I wasn't paying 5% on top. So I left with a negative feeling which I am not sure is the point of the place. An added extra leaving gift was the nail in my tyre from the untarmaced 2nd car park which could certainly do with levelling.

Another negative was at lunch. They have always offered a buffet at lunch time with staples of salads, meats and baked potatoes. The potatoes are no more. I had thought that it was just an oversight or a one-off but I gather they are no longer provided. Why? Are baked potatoes so terrible?

The fruit bowl in the waiting area used to contain a mixture of fruits. Now only apples. At dinner, 4 puddings on offer - fruit platter, sorbet and 2 more interesting. We were told our choice had run out by 8.30pm which was poor. Then they mysteriously found an extra one. Service at dinner was very slow too.

The house and grounds are beautiful but the gardens around the house are dull and seemed uncared for. The grass was dry, there were unimaginative flower beds containing dry shrubs. It all seemed a little unkempt. And since the weather was so perfect, lots of people were outside enjoying the sun. But not necessarily the gardens.

But there's a reason I have been going for 30 years and I will continue to visit. It takes more than a lack of potatoes, an annoying service charge and a rusty nail to put me off. And the reason is that the surroundings are beautiful, the staff warm and friendly and the environment relaxing. It feels like a soft old dressing gown which you put on for comfort. It has that shabbiness which comes naturally to those with class and which they can get away with.

On arrival, a fruit platter, welcome letter and a candle from Aspinall to mark Grayshott's 50th year. The rooms are clean and bright. Probably 4* in quality although everything seems a little old and in need of updating.

The treatment options gets longer and longer. You can get your ear waxed with a candle or your feet treated to something Thai. You could easily spend an evening trying to get through the menu of treatments. The therapists are all delightful (at least the ones I met) and do everything they can to relax you and ensure you enjoy it.

Overall, a nice experience although laughing at some of the negatives with friends made them less irritating. Maybe if I'd been there on my own, it would have felt worse. But a weekend of calmness at the spa was totally undone by 2 hours at Kwik Fit. Oh well, it would have happened by the time I'd got to work anyway.

Dear FinchleyTourist

Thank you for your review.

We introduced a discretionary 5% charge to bills several years ago in response to guests who wished to offer a gratuity to staff. The monies accrued are then apportioned to all waiting staff, front of house staff and spa therapists. The charge is of course discretionary and reception are more than happy to remove this should a guest request.

We offer a three course Buffet in the Dining room, with soup, a large selection of salads, vegetables and protein dishes, with accompanying nuts and olives, and dessert. As a health spa, and in keeping with advice from our Clinical Nutritionist, we have removed potatoes from the lunch menu but have accordingly increased the selection of protein and vegetables in their place. Despite the absence of the baked potatoes I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your buffet.

You visited Grayshott at a time when we were just coming out of winter and had experienced very significant high winds and rain which had affected the gardens and outside areas by the pool. Our team of gardeners have now been working hard to remedy this and to return the gardens to their glory.

I hope to welcome you back to Grayshott in the near future.