“Relaxing luxury”
Review of Grayshott Spa

Grayshott Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grayshott
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a great place for a luxurious break. I went for an overnight stay on my own and found the facilities really good for the size of Grayshott. The swimming pools are a good size and the outdoor pool was really warm. I liked both the sauna and steam room too and enjoyed well-taught Pilates and yoga, as well as a cycle ride. My room was clean and comfortable and I love the fact that you can borrow a dvd to watch - they also have a cinema room which shows quite new releases so that was a bonus. I found the staff particularly helpful and nice and they made you feel very special with a personal touch, which you don't get in all spas. I have only one tiny gripe - I think all rooms should have baths, not just showers!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that has a bathroom rather than just a shower room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank omega0000
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Omega0000

I am delighted that you experienced all that Grayshott has to offer during your stay with us, with the added benefit of the heated outdoor pool now open for the summer season.

We pride ourselves on the caring nature of our staff and the professional experience of our spa therapists, many of whom have been at Grayshott for a number of years, and I am delighted that you referred to this in your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My friend and I spent the day at Grayshott. We have been to lots of spa's and always had a great time. Unfortunately this was not one of them. They are celebrating there 50 years this year and it looking like it ! The facilities and decor was very dated and run down. The showers took. 10 mins to heat up, all the rooms were cold, the only place we could warm up was in the steam room, the bathrobes and slippers were old and torn. If you are under 50 years of age this is not the spa for you ( in my opinion ).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Anne D
Peter W, General Manager at Grayshott Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear AnneD

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your day with us. I am also very much saddened that you did not voice your concerns during your stay to one of our Duty Managers, so that we could redress your issues while you were with us. Regarding your comment about your robe and slippers, I am disappointed that this was not raised with our Reception as they would have been happy to replace these.

Your spa day included unlimited use of the extensive facilities, exercise and relaxation classes, complimentary tea, coffee and fruit, lunch-time talks and a 3-course buffet lunch. Many guests comment on its good value and I do hope that you managed to enjoy these during your day with us.

As you will appreciate, as Grayshott is an old building we have an ongoing programme of refurbishment. We are constantly upgrading, decorating, and improving the guestrooms, public areas, swimming pools, heating system, spa software and so on. I have reported your comments regarding the showers to our Maintenance Manager for immediate attention.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have taken my sister here for her birthday treat for about 10 years (and the odd solo treat)and went on Good Friday. Havent got round to reviewing yet but felt the need after seeing some negative ones.this is a lovely spa really a bit old fashioned for some, if you want flashy then go to Champneys but it costs loads more and is no where near as relaxing.theres loads to do if you want to with classes starting from 9am and through the day right til 6pm and almost all free.i have always found the staff to be really friendly and professional.there were obviously quite a few older people there but most of the day visitors were much younger which helps keep the balance right. Also plenty of lovely rooms to chillin.i think its about time a little money was spent though, the toilets in the day spa dont flush properly and the showers in the ladies spa are temperamental and could do with replacing.i always love the lunch too (yes and liked the goats cheese flapjack thing!) but no jacket potatoes which quite a few commented on. Look forward to my next stay as soon as I can justify it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear happyhants

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments regarding the friendliness and professionalism of the staff, something that most of our departing guests comment favourably on.

I have raised your maintenance comments with our Maintenance Manager, who will be addressing these issues as a matter or urgency.

As a health spa, and in keeping with advice from our Clinical Nutritionist, we have removed potatoes from the lunch menu but have accordingly increased the selection of protein and vegetables in their place. Despite the absence of the baked potatoes I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your buffet.

Thank you for highlighting the complimentary exercise and relaxation classes included in all our spa days and stays.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Beautiful setting and amazing food but was let down by the steam room that had broken glass tiles all over the floor and a masseuse who just graduated from school and I was her 4th client since graduating.

I was really disappointed as we were really looking forward to the spa as I had heard so much about it. The food was fantastic, service in other parts of the spa were great and the accommodation looked nice but certainly would not go back for a spa day. The spa was otherwise very clean, but I could not rate it any higher because of the steam room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank twocitygal

Dear twocitygal

Thank you for your review.

We pride ourselves on the high level of service our staff give to all our guests and our award winning cuisine and I was delighted to see that you had singled these out in your review.

Unfortunately on the day that you were with us, whilst our maintenance department were aware of the issue regarding the steam room tiles, we took the decision to keep the steam room open so as not to disappoint our day guests. The tile debris was removed shortly after your arrival and the area cleared. As the work required is part of a larger project, this is scheduled for later in the month as it will require the steam room to be closed for a number of days.

Many of our therapists have been with us for a number of years and their professionalism and excellence is continually noted and appreciated by guests. We occasionally recruit younger qualified therapists who then undertake further intensive training with us, under close supervision and monitoring, before undertaking client treatments. And this would certainly have been the case with the masseuse you referred to.

I note that you did not mention experiencing the complimentary exercise and relaxation classes, lunch-time lecture, supervised walks and use of the extensive spa facilities, with the added bonus of our heated outdoor pool now being open and hope that you did manage to enjoy some of these during your day.

I do hope that you will return to Grayshott in the near future, and will enjoy the refurbished steam room.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

For me and my fiance, our birthdays are 2 days apart and this year she would be 30 and me 29 so we decided to treat ourselves to a would-be romantic spa getaway which we found on Wahanda. On arrival the grounds and reception and tour wowed us. We don't normally go to places like these and we felt like we would be in for a great treat. The room was lovely and we have a view over the outdoor pool and the orchard. While all of this sounds great there were things that completely ruined the experience for us.

1. We were the youngest there and after us we didn't see anyone there other than those in the 40/50+ bracket. the guests that were there were for the most part retired and very wealthy and quite rude in that they were not tolerant of others.
2. its a spa, not a fashion show. we felt that no matter what we wore we were being sized up by everyone and scowled at, making us feel VERY uncomfortable and quite unpleasant.
3. The food portion sizes were not satisfactory. Do not be fooled, we do not expect large sized mounds of food and fat, although in fairness when you are very active during the day using the tennis courts, pools, gym etc you do work up an appetite... all i can say is thank god we had some snacks we brought from the journey over on the train..
4. No music to drown out the dull... its a spa. there were no times apart from the tacky CD player during the short and useless massage, any background music, no classical music no air of anything relaxing around the whole building at all! instead at meal times all one can hear is either the dull drone of people talking about business mergers or whispers amongst groups of housewives gossips about pantsuits... dull dull dull... and when i spoke with my partner we got shooting scowls from the pantsuit drones... well that creates a lovely atmosphere huh?
5. Hot and noisy at night!??!?! - rooms were too hot and there were old people who no doubt couldn't hear the TV so would keep the volume up all night..that was fun... :(

So to sum up, if you are a boutique-pantsuit-wearing, middle aged person who loves oven-baked rooms and loud TVs and have no tolerance for the younger, not-so-posh that may arrive at the spa, then this is the place for you.

Now, before i receive any retorts, this is subjective, its is what happened, and was a total waste of money so i am allowed my views.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ken C

Dear Ken C

Thank you for your review. And thank you for stressing that they are of course subjective, and that your comments are wholly your own views.

We are always very keen to stress to new guests that we are a destination spa, not a hotel with spa treatment rooms. We are very different from a hotel in that visits to Grayshott are aimed at improving health and well-being through therapeutic spa treatments, relaxation, exercise and healthy spa cuisine. Our guests come to relax, address a health issue, get fit or just to escape the stresses of everyday life. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Grayshott, and will therefore not be returning. Whilst we do our utmost to ensure that all our guests enjoy their stay, we do appreciate that not everyone is seeking a health and well-being stay, for which we are renowned.

As one of our regular guests recently wrote:
“Grayshott is a proper spa with excellent therapists providing superb treatments. It is not glitzy or sleek. It is a country house with wonderful grounds and is a great place to unwind and get yourself back on track health-wise”.

I am glad that you enjoyed the grounds and facilities and found your room to be lovely.

I am disappointed that you found certain aspects of Grayshott to have ruined your experience, namely the unfriendliness and the number of guests aged 40-50+. Guests visiting Grayshott come from all age groups. The age demographic of a typical Grayshott guest varies by week and there are some weeks when the guest profile will be older and other weeks when the typical guest is younger. We would certainly not discriminate against any person who wants to visit Grayshott.

The majority of our departing guests comment on the caring and friendly nature of all our staff, many of whom have been with us for many years. I am disappointed that you did not find this to be the case.

With reference to your comments about food portion sizes, our food policy centres on portion control, rather than calorie counting. As a health spa we deliberately manage portion size to support guests on their quest for wellbeing. We offer a buffet at breakfast and lunch, and a three course à la Carte dinner in the evening, preceded by pre-dinner nibbles and juice cocktails in Bubbles bar. However, for those who require larger portions, we can accommodate and can provide extra portions, vegetables or bread rolls if requested.

I am always disappointed when we don’t meet our guest’s expectations and I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again so you can experience Grayshott in its true light. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me directly should you wish to re visit Grayshott.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This was a birthday treat but not convinced it was worth the money when comparing with other spa days. The indoor pool is nowhere near the spa facilities which are located up a couple of long corridors! Very pleasant grounds with the advantage of an outdoor pool. Staff very professional but the atmosphere was quite stuffy and I didn't feel relaxed. Enjoyed a lovely pedicure with leg massage but so much nail varnish was applied that it took a week to set by which time it had mostly rubbed off! I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank madmanda19

Dear madmanda19

I am always disappointed when a guest does not enjoy their visit to Grayshott.

Your spa day included unlimited use of the extensive facilities, exercise and relaxation classes, complimentary tea, coffee and fruit, lunch-time talks and a 3-course buffet lunch. And, dependant on which of the 5 spa days you booked, treatment/s. Many guests comment on the value of our spa days. I do hope that you managed to enjoy all the above during your day with us.

The indoor pool area houses the hydrotherapy pool. Just outside is the heated outdoor pool. The separate female and male spas are located along a corridor from the indoor swimming pool, and house saunas, steam rooms, relaxation rooms, plunge pools and showers.

I am again disappointed that you did not feel relaxed as most of our departing spa day guests comment most favourably on how relaxing their day has been, as one recently wrote:
“There is a general feeling of relaxation, nothing is hurried, the place is quiet and the food was superb. The staff go out of their way to be helpful and I liked the professionalism of the place”.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My first visit and can't wait to return. Everything but everything was first class. There is a general feeling of relaxation , nothing is hurried, the place is quiet and the food was superb. The staff go out of their way to be helpful and I liked the professionalism of the place

Room Tip: Try the ground floor - when the weather is good you just sit out on thelawn
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Gerald R

Thank you for your kind comments.

We are always delighted when a departing guest remarks favourably on their visit, especially so when it is their first visit to Grayshott.

Many of our guests comment on how relaxed they feel when they arrive at Grayshott, and that they very quickly feel totally removed from the stresses and strains of everyday life, leaving feeling relaxed and rejuvenated at the end of their stay. And I am glad to see that we had a similar effect on yourself.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a second visit in the near future to experience the unique charm of Grayshott once more.

Peter Wood

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grayshott
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
The Devils Punchbowl
#1 of 1 in Hindhead
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
The Runnymede on Thames

Been to Grayshott Spa? Share your experiences!