“Love it”

Jamie's Italian
Price range: US$12 - US$27
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: JAMIE’S ITALIAN Jamie’s Italian is a contemporary and informal restaurant with a menu that reflects Jamie Oliver’s passion for authentic Italian cooking, delivered with his own unique twist on classic recipes. Beautiful rustic dishes are created using carefully sourced, higher-welfare ingredients for the best flavour, but still at great value. This is a relaxed, affordable and accessible environment where the style, atmosphere and menu can be easily adapted to suit any occasion. KNOWN FOR Child friendly; great value, quick lunch; special occasions; group bookings, party planning.
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Eaten here three times now. Lunch and two evening after-show meals. Its really very good. Quick friendly service. Delicious food, which was very well presented and good house wines. Excellent location for theatre goers.
After eating a late lunch here with me, my daughter tried the Jamie's italian in Covent Garden and was equally impressed, especially by the prices.
We are looking forward to trying the one in Cheltenham , which is nearest to our home.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Booked a table 2 months ago as had tickets for the theatre opposite. When arrived were greeted effusively and shown to a table squashed between two large parties next to someone who was using our proposed table as an armrest. Asked to be seated elsewhere and we were quickly and charmingly accomodated. All waiters appear to have been trained to converse in "Mockney" a la Jamie himself and are very enthusiastic..about everything. Sadly this doesn't extend to the cooking staff (i hesitate to use the word "chef"). Salad Caprese arrived on a tin plate reminenscent of Reading Gaol and with a meagre amount of mozzerella hiding beneath a shovel load of unripe tomatoes which any prisoner worth his salt would have sent hurling at the wall. Partners wild boar salami wafer thin and the six meagre slices presented on a board looked lost and lonely - difficult to taste as so thinly sliced they melted like rice paper on the tongue, order of bread basket greatly appreciated as a stomach filler. My Rabbit Ragu had a boil in the bag consistency and I ate one third before giving up the will to live. My Partner's Fritto Misto arrived and although thoroughly overpriced (£15) looked like it had saved the day for him - beautifully presented. Sadly three hours later, the Fritto Misto took an encore. Complaint made by e-mail - yet to hear. £53 would have been better spent anywhere else in Kingston. Sadly when Jamies's first opened it tried very hard, why stop?

Reviewed 24 March 2012

given the brand that is Jamie Oliver, we were a little disappointed. Food was no better than some other local restaurants and was a little more expensive.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

small/varied portion sizes within our group and did not reflect the cost of the meals.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I have written many reviews of hotels and restaurants and I seldom have to use the two star rating but this is all this place deserves.
We have been looking forward to trying this place out ever since it opened - afterall, its Jamie Oliver's restaurant, and if it serves what he cooks on his programme, surely it must be good. Wrong. Its packed, on a Thursday night, and fully booked on Saturdays, so surely, it got to be good. Wrong. I think people go there for the hype, and I suppose, thats why we went there tonight. I ordered the "Jamie's Favourite Turkey Milanese" - it came on a huge plate, with double the portion of turkey you would normally expect on a Milanese in an Italian restaurant. It came with nothing else, so I order a side - and the choice ? salad, veg, or chips. And the choice of chips ? polenta chips, posh chips and funky chips (honest, that what they are called). I order "Posh chips" - "with truffle oil and parmesan". Surely Milanese goes well with sphegatti and tomato sauce which they normally do in an Italian restaurant ? The turkey coating was too salty, too dry and there is too much coating for too thin a slice of turkey, and the prosciutto (i.e. ham) totally defeats the turkey. And the chips - taste of stale oil. Posh ? No. The menu says it comes with truffles - yes there are a slice flakes of them, so few it is negligible. And with a fried egg ? Why ?! no idea - it doesnt go well with the rest of the dish. One of my sons ordered Mini-Meatball Carbonara - OK, but nothing special. My younger son ordered Braised British Shin of Beef. It came on a huge plate, with mash potatos. This dish is OK and the best of the three dishes - but its huge, no finesse. As I ate, I thought of pub food - but I have had much better food in gastropubs. This restaurant tries to be an Italian restaurant, but it doesnt work. For the same price, for Italian food, go to Strada or Carluccio just down the road, they are much better. And for celebrity chef restaurant, try Gordon Ramsey Planefood in Heathrow T5 which is brilliant.

1  Thank ChiFT