“Have had better...and worse... Could be improved.”

Monty's Nepalese Cuisine
Cuisines: Nepalese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Have had better...and worse... Could be improved.”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Looking to find a decent restaurant in Kingston, we thought we would try out Monty's. Upon entering the restaurant, we we were politely greeted and shown to a table. Unfortunately for us there was rowdy large stag group making a ruckus, that we were seated next to. Instantly we asked for some seats away from this group that the restaurant promptly did. However this did help much due to the nature of this group as the could be heard from miles due the acoustics of the venue. I can't blame the restaurant for this but it did not make a pleasant atmosphere to dine in.
As we were starving, we decided to have some poppadums whilst we waited for our starters. The poppadums had a good crunchy texture. However they were really let down by the chutney's that they were accompanied with. The Mint sauce was bland, onion mix was a bit odd and the weird Tikka sauce could only be described as sickly unpleasant and overpowering. Mango Chutney was normal.

For starters we shared a mixed grill which was rather decent. My first thought was the two King Prawns it came with were not worthy of the title King as they were rather small in my books. Overall it was not too bad.

For the mains we had KAALO DAAL and a PAHADI CHICKEN with rice and Garlic Naan. The PAHADI CHICKEN had a flavour of a generic Tikka Massala and tasted of good quality chicken.

The KAALO DAAL's flavour to me was dominated by the bean and lentils. The Rice and Naan were tasty and well made.

Overall I did not enjoy the atmosphere much, the service was polite but seemed disorganised and the food was not really that special. Would I go back...highly unlikely.

• Visited February 2014

London
“Perhaps we chose badly?”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

There are not many non-chain restaurants in Kingston, sadly, so picked this one as it's close to the Odeon. The restaurant is clean and modern and seemed very popular. Things went downhill with our food. The poppadoms were not as crispy as they should be and the chutneys were pretty poor. My husband chose a 'staff special' which was a thick beige gloop and really unpleasant. Takes a lot for him not to eat his dinner! We sent it back and shared my biryani, which was OK but again I've had much better. The manager did take the special off the bill with good grace, but all in all disappointing.

Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Up with the best”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We have been to Montys many times and the reason we keep going back is that the quality never varies. The food is excellent and the service is warm and friendly. The decor is modern and the selection of dishes is wide enough to cater for everyone.
Will certainly go again... and again. Without doubt one of the very best restaurants in the area.

• Visited December 2013
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Lovely Restaurant”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Unfortunately if you go to Kingston looking for a curry then there isn't much to choose from but we went where based on a recommendation and the food was lovely.

The only reason I agent given full marks is because we were given one drink at the start of the meal and were not offered another. This may be because we were a group tucked away at the back. Also, the peshwari naan breads do not have coconut in but were nice nonetheless. Lovely food, we would go back.

• Visited December 2013
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“An Exceptional Evening”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

From the moment we walked through the door, we were made to feel extremely welcome. The service throughout the evening was superb, and I cannot begin to describe the food, apart from being delicious. I cannot complement the restaurant enough, the whole experience was incredible, and I will certainly be returning shortly to enjoy further meals.

• Visited January 2014