“Weekend deal bought on Ebay was MAGIC”

Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Last October I bought a weekend deal for The Antoinette on Ebay, to be honest I did not expect the hotel to be worthy of a birthday treat for "The Wife" but went for it. The original weekend in December was postponed by the hotel due to Xmas functions. After our stay we were both really glad that we did not take the refund offered by the hotel.
The hotel was perfect for our needs, a most friendly greeting from the receptionist on arrival was replicated by all the staff that we came into contact with. Our room was in a separate building at the rear of the hotel. It was spacious, squeaky clean and had 2 decent sized beds in it. It also had a balcony, not really of much use in March. The room was very quiet, there was a disco playing when we left the main building on Saturday night, it did not disturb our sleep.
The breakfast was a highlight, good quality sausages and bacon always go down well with me. The evening meal included with the deal was most enjoyable, my rib-eye steak could not have been better. My wife enjoyed her salmon too. There was Real Ale in the bar..I was sorted.
What really sold the deal to me was the inclusion of a day pass each to Hampton Court (worth £16+ each). The Palace did not disappoint, even better than on our previous visits.
Antionette Hotel was a most enjoyable experience, we will return. Especially if they have similar deals in the future

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Have stayed here twice now and both times have had a room in the garden section of the hotel.
Both times the room was large with large bathroom and most importantly clean.The courtyard
area between both sections of the hotel is very pleasant.
I did not eat here on either occasion so I cannot comment on the dining room or food .
I will be returning to Kingston and will stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Leprauchan,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your visits to the Antoinette Kingston, and that you will be returning in the future.
Our Superior rooms are very spacious, with some having private balconies overlooking the award winning landscaped gardens.
I hope that when you return you will take the opportunity to dine in our Restaurant, which offers a modern European Brasserie Menu, or let our Chef's look after you on a Tuesday when they will carve succulent joints at our Carvery.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

The positive reviews about this hotel cannot be legit. It's a rough dive of a place, depressing, rank food, rude, incompetent and very unhygienic staff. We were served dinner by an Indian man who seemed not to have taken a shower in perhaps a week. I think trip advisor really needs to take a look at this hotel as it cannot be 2nd out of 8 hotels, impossible. It seems the hotel does not even have a valid 3 star AA rating, it's simply 'made up'.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ssparky7
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear ssparky7,
I was very concerned to read your review, as one dissatisfied guest is one too many. The hotel receives many positive reviews and questionnaires regarding the friendly and professional service provided by the team. I would like to assure you that all the positive reviews posted on Tripadvisor are genuine, as they have to meet strict posting guidelines. I would also like to assure you that I will be personally looking into your comments about the member of staff who served you, and can confirm that the Antoinette Hotel is 3 star assessed equivalent.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

It is a horrible horrible place. It is old and really needs to be refreshed and refurbished.
I was given a wrong room the night I arrived and there were no towels there. But that's not a big issue. There are people who smoke in their rooms and I could smell smoke as I walked to my room. I could smell it in my room too! It was aweful! Please don't stay there. I am sure you can find something much nicer for the same price in this area!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MeMaggie
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear MeMaggie,
As the Guest Relations Manager of Antoinette Kingston, I am sorry to learn of the issues you experienced, but am pleased that they were immediately rectified. I would like to assure you that the hotel has a strict non-smoking policy, and in the event of a guest smoking in the room they are charged, and the room is not let for 48 hours whilst all the soft furnishings are cleaned, so that future guests do not experience any residual smell.
The hotel has recently been inspected, and all rooms and public areas were found to be in good decorative order with a high standard of fixtures and fittings, and our rates competitive for the area taking into account our location close to train stations and the town centre.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

I have used the Antoinette on a number of occasions, attending courses. The breakfasts are first class, staff on hand if you need anything. Staff on booking in where helpful asking if my colleague or I needed help with our luggage.The bedroom clean and tidy and
keeped the same,the five days I was there. The only down side was that as a light sleeper the road out the annex was quite busy and was woken up often through the night. But overall a first class hotel .

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Dear rowlandw,
As the Guest Relations Manager, it is nice to learn that you choose to stay at the Antoinette Kingston, when visiting the area for business, and that you find all members of the team to be helpful and professional.
The hotel receives a lot of positive feedback regarding the Full English and Continental Breakast provision, due to the variety of dishes on offer, many of which are locally sourced.
I was sorry to learn of the issue with traffic noise, as all rooms are fitted with triple glazing, and the road is generally very quiet at all times of day, however, it appears that during your stay extra traffic was being diverted due to a nearby road closure.
Please do not hesitate to request a room overlooking the landscaped gardens for your next stay.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

great location to getting into london on train . very good service . breakfast and dinner 10 out of 10.very good room service / reception 10 min walk into kingston . nice town centre . well done to all the staff and management.

Room Tip: we had a garden room which was big and very clean .
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Dear thomkenny,
As the Guest Relations Manager, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review.
Please be assured this will be shown to all the team at Antoinette Kingston, who looked after you during your stay.
Our location within walking distance of two stations which offer frequent train services to London, makes the hotel an ideal base for visiting all the major attractions this city has to offer.
With Kingston town centre a five minute walk, guests can enjoy shopping in the Bentalls Centre, browsing around the histor market area, or watching a show at the Rose Theatre.
Spacious rooms are available some of which have private balconies overlooking the landscaped gardens.
Looking forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion, maybe for a great value Weekend Break, which can include tickets to nearby Hampton Court Palace or Kew Gardens.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

We are a same sex couple. We booked the hotel and paid in full up front through needtoescape. When we checked in, the desk person harassed us to have twin beds instead of the double we had booked. Then they asked for my credit card to hold some money for the stay. I have come across this before, so I handed over my card. When he handed me the card machine to put in my PIN, I saw that we were being charged in Australian dollars and not British pounds... I believe that by law, i have to be asked about doing that first. In addition to that, the amount of money I was being asked to put on hold was approximately $300AUD! I don't generally have that kind of money hanging about in my account. So I told him that I needed to access my bank and ensure that I had that money in my account, and that I wanted it done in British pounds. I was told that I couldn't have access to the internet to do this, and that o stay, I had to allow the hold in AUD. I refused. In the end, he allowed us to not put the money on hold and gave us the key.

Since we had arrived in the evening, and we were hungry, we asked what time the restaurant opened, to be told that it wasn't open that evening, despite the fact that their website states that the restaurant is open... yes, it was between Christmas and New Years, so we accepted this, and asked where else we coud go, to be told that all we had to do was 'go down the road'. We then asked what time breakfast began, to be told that breakfast was an hour later than stated on their website the next day... what we were not told at that point was that the restaurant was not going to open at night until the 2nd January. We arrived on the 27th December, and were leaving on the 4th January. This was not stated on their website, nor were we told this until we had been there three days, and we directly asked someone when the restaurant would be open again. We were also not told that during that time,the breakfast would be an hour later than advertised as well. One of the reasons we stayed at this hotel was because they had an early breakfast and an on-site restaurant.

The second day we stayed, we returned to our room to find that there was only one towel for the two of us. The third day we stayed, we returned to the room to find that all of the toilet paper had been removed from the room.. on the fourth day,we went down to breakfast and discovered hairs in our food. We decided to check out at this point, and spoke to the duty manager, and we asked for a refund for the days we had left. The duty manager said he would get back to us in a few days. Two weeks later, after not hearing from him, I emailed the hotel to be told that he had gone on holiday, and they would get back to me. Two weeks after that, I emailed them again, to be told that since we had booked through Expedia (we didn't... it was needtoescape), we had to go through Expedia to get any money back. I then went to the Consumer Group here in the UK, who told me that since the hotel is the supplier of the service, it is the hotel I need to ask for a refund through. I have emailed the hotel AGAIN advising them of this, and after a week, I have had no response.

I checked this hotel through Trip Advisor before I booked it. I am pleased that others have had an excellent stay, however, if you are a same sex couple, steer clear of this one!

• Stayed: December 2011