“Standard hotel in quiet part of town”

Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames
Reviewed 19 May 2014

In need of modernisation and looking tired but a comfortable base to spend a day or two in Kingston. 5min walk from a nice pub and convenience store, 10 min walk from the main strip of riverside restaurants, pubs and the Rose Theatre, 15 min walk from Kingston train station with great links to central London. We could hear our neighbours snoring and the showers are VERY loud - to bear in mind for any light sleepers. It was summertime when we stayed and needed the windows wide open - sadly the bar deck/garden was under our room but the concierge kindly asked customers to be quiet after midnight. Great to have secure parking free of charge. Bring your own toiletries as only liquid soap provided.

Room Tip: Ask for a room onlooking the garden - to avoid the rooms above the bar. Be prepared to be able to h...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We got married at Glenmore House last Summer. We were looking through our wedding photos over the weekend - so many good memories. However, unfortunately it also brought back memories of the considerable stress and inconvenience caused by the loss of our bridal party's bookings at The Antoinette Kingston last summer.

On the night before the wedding, my wife (bride-to-be) arrived at the hotel in Kingston to check in with her two sisters and her parents, but she was told that there were not any reservations in her name. With all the other bookings which had been taken by the hotel for guests at our wedding, we didn't imagine for a minute that there would not be a record of my wife's own bookings, which we reserved 5 months before the wedding date itself. Unsurprisingly, this caused a great deal of stress for my wife and her family when told that there were no reservations in her name and that there was no room left in the hotel.

Eventually three small rooms were found however these were located in completely different parts of the hotel when it was important for the rooms to be close to eachother in order to facilitate getting things ready the following morning, and also as my wife's parents do not speak any English, are elderly and her dad cannot see well at all.

We have written to the hotel manager to try to find out what went wrong, enclosing the booking reference numbers, but have not received any response to our complaint to date. Therefore it would appear that the hotel does not care whether it receives repeat business or not. We would strongly advise those getting married at Glenmore House or anyone else staying in the area to thing again when considering making or recommending bookings at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Alison W, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Dominic A,

I am sorry that you have felt it necessary to post a review, nearly a year after your Wedding, which contrary to what is indicated by the title of the review, did not take place at the hotel.

I hope you can appreciate that after such a length of time, it is not possible to immediately respond. However, upon investigation, it appears that all reservations were correct.

As you can see from previous reviews, couples who have held their Weddings at the hotel, and guests staying overnight, have been extremely happy with the services and facilities provided, making the Antoinette Kingston a popular venue for Weddings.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

My mother and I booked this hotel for it's closeness to Kingston town centre where the theatre is located. We found the hotel easily and the large spacious car park is great! We had a ground floor twin room in the 'chalets' at the rear of the hotel as these are suitable for disabled access. (My mum uses a walking aid) this room was reached by a short pleasant stroll through the attractive gardens and on opening the door we were pleasantly surprised by the size of both the bedroom and bathroom. All was immaculately clean and beds comfy with extra pillows provided. It was very warm while we were there and it was a nice touch to have a small table and chairs outside the room where we had an early morning cuppa! The breakfast (self service) was delicious with a good choice of both continental or English. All staff we had dealings with were efficient and courteous and next time in Kingston we will stay at The Antoinette!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank corinne c
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I should have realised I had,made a mistake from the moment I entered this hotel. Nobody on reception but I could hear talking from the office behind. More guests arrived and still the people in the office were unconcerned despite being able to hear the growing queue of guests talking. Eventually one girl came out and started to check us in. She wasn't English and her spoken English and understanding of English were not too good. "Will you be parking a car in the car park sir?", "No but my colleague will be dropping me off and picking me up and he may stay 10 or 15 minutes.", "You'll need to pay for parking then sir, it's £5 a night". "He won't be parking overnight, just dropping me off or collecting". "£5 a night sir". OK I'll meet him in the road outside. If he needs to stay he can use a meter"
Second night there they had a wedding. Loud music until very late and a drunken guest who insisted on sitting outside my door.
Room wasn't outstanding. I didn't use any other facilities. A week after arriving home I received an extra bill for £25 for car parking. And of course they had charged this to my credit card. Phoned them and.. "We'll look into it for you ". Heard nothing. Emailed them. No replies.
I wont be staying there again and cant recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank seepeekay

Dear seepeekay,

Thank you for taking the time to post, as all feedback is greatly valued.

I was concerned to read the title of your review, as parking at the hotel is complimentary at all times, unlike other local hotels and Travelodges, who implement an overnight charge. I am sorry that no response has been received regarding the charge to your credit card, however, upon investigation no trace of any e-mail can be found, and no transaction has been recorded for this amount. As such, I feel that this review may have been unintentionally posted to the wrong site.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed in the Antoinette for a week while visiting a friend. The room was very clean upon my arrival but I felt kind of cramp at times and I was the only one in the room. I tried to call the front desk a few times during my trip and found that I had to call several times or go to the front desk to get an answer which became very annoying. Also the hotel is a few blocks from a bus stop but there are no clear signs on how to get to hotel. When I arrived at the stop near the hotel my phone died and there was one sign I saw but it didn't lead to the hotel. I had to ask someone I saw outside working on their car for directions. Also no fitness on site but you can get a discount to a gym near by. Also no mini fridge so I had to buy nonperishables. Overall.Overall it was decent and I would probably stay again due to it being so affordable.

Room Tip: Be mindful when you walk to the hotel at night due to foxes being out. Everyone says they won't...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2014

if you are travelling to London, dont expect big hotels as space is a scarcity, but I was proven wrong when I visited Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames.I was amazed to see the garden view rooms, as this was the last thing I had expected. Front office staff was very pleasant. Rooms were clean. I got free wifi during my entire stay. Food was excellent. I will love to visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing garden are the best ones.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nileshtandon
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My company has a budget limit and this hotel was the only one in Kingston that was 'allowed'.
My superior room has cracked tiles in the bathroom, noise neighbours on arrival, 3 am and the builder started at 830!
I may have slept better in my car, so only if you must

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Alison W, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear 2179locke,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, as all feedback whether positive or negative is greatly valued.

I apologise for the disturbance caused by other guests, but hope you can appreciate, this is beyond the control of the hotel. Please be assured that had you contacted a member of then night team, they would have immediately dealt with this issue.

I thank you for bringing to our attention the cracked bathroom tile, which has now been replaced.

I hope that you will consider staying with us on a future occasion, so that you can see that what you experienced was very much an exception and not the norm.