“Dreadful stay, would not want to repeat the experience.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thatchers Hotel

Thatchers Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Leatherhead
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
“Dreadful stay, would not want to repeat the experience.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012 via mobile

Soulless executive room. Bathroom floor had pools of water. TV had restricted volume which was too low, so extra speakers had to be provided. Room was cold with no working central heating, so a fan heater and grubby old blankets were provided. The champagne afternoon tea was the worst we ever had. Dirty milk jug (something unidentifiable stuck to the inside - which the waiter found hilarious) egg or some sort of fish sandwich, plus Madeira cake and 2 scones. Very very poor. Breakfast consisted of food cooked a while earlier as the bacon was hard and the other choices looked decidedly tired. No marmalade. Awful stay.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Marc11976, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear Mrs Davies,

I am extremely disappointed and saddened that your stay with us proved to be such a poor experience. I have shared your comments with my senior team as this is not the level of service and quality I wish to portray.

I have personally spoken with my bar team and a colleague does remember taking your complaint about the condition of the milk jug, the team member in question personally apologises as his laugh has been misunderstood, he smiled at your explanation not the condition of the jug. My Operations manager has followed this incident up with training to the kitchen porters and food service brigade so they are aware of presentation levels for items such as milk jugs.

As much of the hotel is of late 20th century build, the construction holds in heat therefore making it energy efficient to current building regulations: I appreciate we have been experiencing a cool summer however if we maintain the central heating during this period the hotel will become extremely stuffy and humid. On such occasions we have portable heating units available and can supplement our 10.5 tog continental quilts with blankets. In response to your comments I have instructed my head housekeeper to ensure all blankets are dry cleaned with immediate effect.

Breakfast is traditionally one of our strengths; we have received some great feedback over the years. During quieter times my staff are instructed to remove the hot buffet products and offer a plated al a carte hot offering; this avoids situations as you have highlighted. This point has been reiterated to my food service team following these comments.

Your experience with us is far from what I perceive to be acceptable; I have left a message on your answer machine and look forward to be able to personally apologise for the poor stay you had. I hope you had a good journey back to Suffolk.

Marc Solarz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Perfectly organised from beginning to end the staff at the Ramada are precise and discreet and their attention to detail made our wedding run exactly as we wanted it. We had a wonderful weekend wedding for 60 of our friends and family. We wanted a relaxed, comfortable surroundings with excellent food and lots of personal detail and that's exactly what we got. Our compliments to the kitchen and waiting staff who worked tirelessly all day. The wedding coordinator and toast master both understood what we wanted from our wedding and made it unique to us. We had an exclusive restaurant, garden and even breakfast room in the morning so we didn't disturb the other guests. We'll be back for our anniversary!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Marc11976, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear Susie H,

Thank you for taking the time to share the many highlights of your wedding experience on Trip Advisor. Your commentary has overall summed up what I can see was a perfect day; you were also blessed with the best weather of the weekend.

A couple of your guests have echoed your comments in earlier reviews which showcases that a wonderful time was had by all. My colleagues at the hotel are encouraged to read our Trip Advisor reviews and I am sure they will take great personal pride in noting your feedback which is a credit to their efforts and attention to detail.

On behalf of the team we very much look forward to welcoming you back in 2013 to celebrate your paper anniversary. Best wishes to you and Mark for a happy, healthy and prosperous married life together.

surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

We had our wedding here at the end of April, the only let down was the weather, so our guests couldn't enjoy the grounds, but we did manage to have one or two photos outside and on the balconly. Clinton, Lizzy and Carey were all involved in coordinating our wedding, even to the last minute changes, which helped it all to go well, including the Master of Ceremony, Tim who was always close to guide us through out the ceremony. It was a lovely ceremony, the room was perfect for the 56 guests, and the registrars were lovely, not too formal, and able to enjoy the ceremony with a few giggles. The reception and the Wedding Breakfast was enjoyed by all, it was a lovely day from start to finish. Our room was big and spacious, only thing a little too warm at first so had to open all the windows when I was getting ready.
Thank you again to all of the above for ensuring we had a lovely day.

Room Tip: The bridal suite is spacious
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Coupleguildford,

Thank you for taking the time to share these lovely comments reference your wedding at the hotel in April. I am delighted the day was a good; I have personally thanked Clinton, Lizzie, Carey, Tim and Nick (chef) for their contribution to your day; these guys take great pride in ensuring the finer details are administered; allowing you to enjoy the day and saver every moment.

For the past couple of years April has been one of our better months for weather; I sorry this year was an exception to the rule. However I am sure you were able to make the most of having your closest family and friend around to share the magical experience of your wedding.

I personally look forward to welcoming you back next April to celebrate your paper wedding anniversary dinner.

surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

what a wonderful time we had this weekend,a family wedding where nothing was too much trouble for the staff. we had 2 nights of celebrations and the staff were smiling from morning to night.great customer service.the wedding was just right, not over the top. the service ,the tables, the food were wonderful. the sun came out just for us and we all felt like royalty.
the room was fine, a bit tired but clean.we could have done with a bottle of water in the room,but i am sure if we had asked we would have got one.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Angela085,

Thank you for sharing your experience following last weekends wedding; you have highlighted some great comments which have been shared with my colleagues at the hotel. Suzy & Mark certainly chose the best day to have their wedding from the long bank holiday weekend as the following three days proved to be very autumnal. The hotel gardens are one of our best features providing excellent views out to the North Downs; I am pleased you were able to enjoy this part of the hotel.

Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

A family wedding this weekend was very well organised by the staff and perfectly delivered by the hard working, friendly and enthusiastic waiting, bar and receptionists. It's these people that make all the difference and the service we received from everyone we encountered from morning til very late at night, was fantastic. The hotel itself is clean , a bit dated, but the family rooms are the most spacious we have ever stayed in. The food , especially bar food, is very good. If you are looking for an unpretentious but relaxed venue with good food and a day to relax and enjoy, then this is the place.

Room Tip: Rooms are very warm- open the windows !! The family rooms comfortably slept 2 adults and 2 teens
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Angela W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor following last weekends wedding. Weddings are a very important part of our business: to this extent as a management team we understand the importance of good quality home cooked food combined with efficient service. I pleased you recognised us for being unpretentious and relaxed; as general manager that comment sums up one of my aspiration from a guest prospective.

I delighted you enjoyed the wedding and were able to share in Suzy & Mark’s special day.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012 via mobile

Extremely dissapointed that we had booked to stay when a wedding had already been booked. The booking we had made had included afternoon tea, which had been advertised to be taken on the patio if the weather was fine, the day we had chosen was a lovely day, but due to the wedding party, we were put in a dingy conference room. There were no three tiered afternoon serving plates. But our champagne afternoon tea was presented on plates. It comprised of three small slices of egg sandwiches and either on small slice of smoked salmon or two if you were lucky. Two scones, two slices of fruit cake and two slices of dry maderia cake.... Probably the worse afternoon tea I have ever had. The staff were all extremely pleasant and I felt this was a Managment problem.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear 12Debs,

I am deeply sorry to learn about your disappointing experience with us last Saturday: especially as our Champagne afternoon tea, bed & breakfast packages have been a great success since their launch. Normally we can comfortably accommodate our afternoon tea guests in the gardens even with a wedding on property; however on this occasion due to high numbers attending the wedding we needed to provide this space exclusively for them. Unfortunately on this occasion the wedding party hired our bar/lounge area too restricted public area space further.

I have brought to the attention of my head chef your comments about the quality of our afternoon tea which I personally apologise for not being up to par. Your experience has saddened me as locally we have become renowned as a destination for high quality afternoon teas. I pleased that my staff went someway to compensate the situation; personality is one of our greatest assets within the business. I hope the accommodation and breakfast element of your stay was good.

You are welcome to call me at the hotel if you would like to discuss this complaint in greater details.

Marc Solarz

Travellers are raving about these Leatherhead hotels

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

We didn't stay here but came to a wedding ceremony and breakfast for young relations of my family. The whole day was brilliantly organised by, I'm sure, a combination of the bride and her family alongside the people from The Ramada. Talking to others during the day I heard nothing but praise for all the people from The Ramada and how they had gone that extra mile right from the beginning to make sure the couple's day was extra special. The ceremony room was quirky but really intimate and pretty, the registrar sounded as if she really wanted to be there rather than just doing her job and the meal was of good quality and professionally served under the beady eye of the efficient master of ceremonies. To top it all, the sun shone all day! Well done to one and all at The Ramada and best wishes for future happiness to the newlyweds - Laura and Alan.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Marc11976, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Johnnyh591,

Thank for taking the time to highlight your extremely positive experience on Trip Advisor. Wedding are an integral part of our business; to this extent we understand the people factor that contributes to make the day so special to the bridal party and their cherished family and friends who have chosen to celebrate this day with them.

Based upon the poor spring we have experienced I’m delighted the sun made an appearance on Laura and Alan’s special day

Best wishes

Marc Solarz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leatherhead
De Vere Horsley Estate
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel

Been to Thatchers Hotel? Share your experiences!