“Location was convenient”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Leatherhead
London, United Kingdom
“Location was convenient”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I choose this hotel due to it's location to an event rather than specifically to stay at this particular hotel. The reception staff were pleasant if a little slow, especially when checking out. They helpfully ordered a taxi for us the night before for the journey the next day. The rooms are a basic 3 star standard, the bed was a bit hard and my bathroom had shampoo but no shower gel and the towels were quite thin and looked like they hadn't been replaced in a while. The décor and furniture was a bit dated but everything was in working order and the bathroom and bedroom were spotlessly clean. The breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular but adequate for my needs. The coffee at breakfast wasn't not very good! Overall if you need that exact location then it's fine but I personally wouldn't make a special trip there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gemma F
KatieWGM1, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Catnip33, thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I am pleased you found our team to pleasant and helpful and our rooms to be spotless. I am sorry your breakfast was not up to our usual standards, I will talk to my team and discuss your comments. We are getting a new coffee supplier next week who has a great reputation so, please when you are next in the area, pop in for a coffee and cake.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed here 4 nights, as work booked me here since the De Vere next door was full!

Well, since I like to find the positive in everything - I'll start with that! The rooms are great. Spacious, well equipped (great features like fantastic shower, good hairdryer, good lighting and mirrors). Rooms are kept very clean and tidy as well as well maintained. Also - I must mention that there are 2 great waitresses, (one new) one had long blonde hair, one had long brown hair. I won't tar everyone with the same brush!

That's where the positives stop unfortunately! Now where do I start...

I felt like an inconvenience, not a guest.

Rooms card keys got wiped everyday. Apparently you can't store your room key in your handbag as it "kills the card". Where else am I supposed to store it whilst at not at the hotel? Trek upstairs with your luggage and forget to get it reassigned to your room, yep you're going back to reception, and probably waiting 20 minutes due to understaffing!

I'm a person that is freezing all the time. The hotel is like an oven! I was glad to leave after breakfast everyday! And no, I didn't have the radiator on in my room.

Food. Wow. I'm a big fan of fine dining, and was pleased to see the menu. Until I actually tried the food. Granted, it's better than the bar options, but if you're going to do fine dining, do it properly! Flavours a little out, on the normal options (duck, Chicken, fish etc) but not too bad. £20 for a steak and chips - great steak but served with FROZEN chips?! Veg, I love al dente, but the veg here was actually undercooked! and prepare to spend an hour in the restaurant, despite only having one course. Takes 30-45 minutes for your food to come, and then a little overpriced for what is actually served!
Breakfast is okay, be sure to specify how many eggs you would like. I never thought to do this, until the day I ordered poached eggs. 20 minutes later (there were 3 people in the restaurant!!!!!!) ONE EGG turned up along with porridge. Did I get an apology from the waiter?! NO. He found it funny and walked away laughing.

Staff generally passive to complaints, even when the shower went freezing cold. Little manager presence, and lots of new staff, including language barriers, are to blame I feel. Staff often congregate in the kitchen too leaving you in the restaurant waiting for anything up to 5 minutes.
Nobody asked if I had a nice stay during checkout. (the blonde lady on reception said welcome to the hotel upon arrival - credit where credits due!)

I was so glad to check out this morning! I'm not returning. I'd seriously rather stay at the premier inn. (And I dislike them normally) The staff at the premier inn local to here (8 miles away) are really friendly, you pass reception and get a Hi/good morning, good evening, how are you etc! Lovely. Stay there or the De Vere! (next door!)

Room Tip: Not one in this hotel - theres a good room!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Foodlover12345111111
Foodlover12345111111 thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to hear you liked your room and that Amanda and her team looked after you in the restaurant. However I am disappointed to read your thoughts from your stay and I would like to discuss them further with you. Our team are so often commended for their friendliness and it upsets me to hear otherwise. If you have the opportunity to call me I would appreciate the chance to discuss your comments with regards to your dinner.

Travellers are raving about these Leatherhead hotels

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We were immediately put at ease when we initially met Clinton, and considering we only had about 3 weeks to prepare, Clinton made a hard task look very easy. His professionalism and approach is second to none, an absolute Gent.
Every detail was performed to perfection, from welcoming the guests, to table decoration.
All of our guests were so impressed with every aspect of the Staff & Venue The Staff all went that extra mile to make our special day the most enjoyable and memorable.
A massive Thank You to Rene, for the most wonderful cake, enjoyed and complimented by all, and all completed in very short notice.
Don who was also superb in welcoming and introductions to the party. A great asset to Thatchers, with a very warming, friendly manner.
The Chef and all the other staff, who all contributed to our lovely day.
The setting was also outstanding for the photoshoot and added that extra bit of glamour.
Would highly recommend, First Class Service.
Well done guys.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thankyou LiPrice for your lovely comments about our team here. I will be sure to pass your kind comments to Clinton, Don, Rene, our Chefs and the team here. Glad you had a superb day. We will see you next year.
Hampton Court
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We had a family dinner in the restaurant. The roast beef was very good but the vegetables were sparse and under cooked. The roast potatoes were burnt and the yorkshire pudding seemed shop-bought. There was no French mustard. The service was over-intrusive. We don't go to a restaurant with our family to be chatted up by the staff. The service was not too bad but the tepid coffee slopped in the saucer with a "whoops I've spilled your coffee" was not admired. I wish she had at least tipped the slops out of the saucer. Had we been charged a tenner a head I would not have been over critical, but thirty pounds a head was over the top. We know that hotels put more money, expertise and training into the hotel side of things than a restaurant would do and their chefs and waiters are second thoughts, but again the prices should reflect that.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NinaKeay
Dear NinaKeay thank you for leaving your comments, they are important to us. They will be discussed with my kitchen and restaurant team at our next meeting.
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Fantastic wedding venue!, we had the best day, very attentive staff, very accommodating, they couldn't have done more for us, especially Clinton the wedding co-ordinater he was brilliant. We had canapés, a wedding breakfast meal and a buffet in the evening and every aspect was delicious. The rooms were all clean and comfortable, overall I would 100% recommend this venue for your special day, Thankyou very much to Clinton, Don, Carey, the fantastic chef and all the lovely staff.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michgo72
Great to hear how much you enjoyed your day and we look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We had our wedding at the Ramada in September 2013 and Clinton and his team (including Don who was amazing on the day) made sure our day ran smoothly. All guests were raving about the venue.

Clinton and his team went above and beyone to make it a great day. For example, my maid of honor had her 5 week old baby along. Her parents were helping take care of baby so she could enjoy the day. Baby was fussing and crying during dinner so her parents had to go back to their room. Don arranged for their meals to be sent up to their room no problem. It's those extra thoughtful touches that helped.

One meeting with Clinton and he gives you a feeling of confidence. You know you can trust him on the day not to forget anything. He also has a detailed checklist that we went through about a week before the wedding that helped us with stuff we hadn't even thought of.

The only complaint we had is the party couldn't last longer as everyone was having such a good time!

I would highly recommend the Ramada for a wedding venue - amazing staff, ace food, pretty setting and excellent value for money. There were no hidden costs and Clinton was very flexible and accomadating as far as customizing our wedding package to our needs and budget.

Thanks again Clinton and Don!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your comments Jillian S and lovely to hear that your guests were raving about the venue. Our team love to see our guests enjoy their special day and we too wish the party could have lasted longer. We shall see you next year to carry on the celebrations
Pissouri, Cyprus
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

We had 2 rooms and our experience was really mixed. There were many things we really liked, for example, the spacious clean room, excellent power shower, comfortable chair and footstool, lovely location and grounds and it was really quiet. For all that I would give a 5. However, the customer service was weak. We had an intruder in one room at 12.30 pm claiming to be security ... When we reported this at reception the next morning we discovered security never enter occupied rooms and they seemed really unconcerned. Checkout involved no eye contact or real interest in our stay. And the bed was rock hard (a personal thing I know) but that plus intruder meant little sleep. For these reasons an average rating and unlikely to return.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynette N
KatieWGM1, General Manager at Thatchers Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Lynette N, I am concerned to hear your comments and I have tried to call you on several occasions to discuss your concerns since your departure however to no avail. If you have an opportunity could you please call me? Lovely to hear you liked your room and our location
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leatherhead
De Vere Horsley Estate
#1 of 4 in Cobham
Woodlands Park Hotel
Woodlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cobham

Been to Thatchers Hotel? Share your experiences!