“Do your stomach a favour and avoid this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Trattoria Da Carlo

Trattoria Da Carlo
Ranked #15 of 59 Restaurants in Leatherhead
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Great Bookham, United Kingdom
“Do your stomach a favour and avoid this place”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

And the worst Italian Restaurant in existence goes to Trattoria Da Carlo in Fetcham.

Minestrone soup, no way you could mess that up but by Christ they did. They seems to have over cooked Chili and then to top it off placed in solid Pepper balls so your mouth lost all feeling.

Safe ground of spaghetti bolognese not a hope in hell. I if had gone to Lidl and bought a 50p ready meal i would have received less water in it. The titanic would not have sunk if it had set sail in my main, as there was only one small piece of meat for it to hit. And with the ocean it was supplied in it would have found it near impossible to hit.

Then there was My wife's meal.

Starter of Melon and Prawns no cooking required so no issue... apart from the cocktail sauce in which it was supposed to be served in turning up a few minutes late leave us a little perplexed, and my soup to go a little less warm. Even in the hell fires of Babylon in regards to spices could make that up.

Then the salmon...under cooked and to use her words tasted like puke. So in essence they thought they would save her from eating it and make it taste the way it would be if she had eaten the under cooked element.

Then the pudding...My wife made me laugh when she said " lets quit whilst we are behind".
Service was attentive... ish although when they served my good lady her main they waited until our food was luke warm to present the veg and potatoes that went with her Puke fish.

They asked no question when our food was only partially eaten and that we were not prepared to stay for a pudding we in essence were prepared to pay for but not eat.

The worst of it is that this was My wife's treat for me on my birthday. But as I told her its not her fault its this poor establishment.

I have eaten in poor establishments before and had atrocious experiences in some too. But this is the first time I have felt the need to release the dogs...oh wait that will be in their chocolate surprise wont it.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank RMcNaught

Cobham, United Kingdom
“It takes rustic charm a bit too literally”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This restaurant is throwback to a previous era and in some ways it was a very pleasant nostalgic experience.
In fact my wife and I reminisced about how it's a shame that the essence of the old style Italian restaurant has been virtually lost forever.
We ordered a set menu all of which looked nice.
What we forgot that the portions are substantial and having stupidly eaten a bread roll first felt full after having had my starter (which was unfinished!).
I just about managed to eat my main course before the Tiramisu arrived!!!
The quality of the food was reasonably good, the service OK and the standard house red was palatable.
But it wasn't a gastronomic experience and a big lesson, if we go back, is to be careful about how much we order.
In between eating and talking we looked at the restaurant environment and felt that the rustic theme was in urgent need of refreshing.
The interiors are in need of a major surgery, which would be a prudent investment as it would help them attract a broader clientele.
Even if they didn't radically change the Menu, although some concessions should be made to the 21st Century, it could be presented a lot more imaginatively.
It does have promise but has let itself go a bit.
However it wouldn't take much to brighten it up and then rather mandate a 10% service charge which my wife and I hate they might actually find that patrons leave more.
It's food for thought.

• Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great Italian restaurant, serving excellent food”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We have the pleasure of being able to visit this fabulous restaurant every week, when we're around! The food is fresh, excellently cooked and the staff are all friendly and welcoming, including Carlo the restaurant owner. If you like fish, the Sea Bass & Dover sole are wonderful. The steak is always cooked to your liking and the pasta is al dente... don't even start me on the home made italian puddings! A little piece of Italy in Fetcham! Would definitely recommend trying this super restaurant if you haven't already - it does get busy, particularly at the weekend, so it may be worth booking a table in advance.

• Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly recommend”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have been eating at this restaurant for many years now and I can honestly say we have never had a meal that we have not thoroughly enjoyed. The lunchtime meals are just as good as the evening which is not always the case in many restaurants.
Fantastic food, great service and realistic pricing.

• Visited April 2014
surrey
“Well, we all enjoyed it.....”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Have seen some negative reviews of this restaurant, including one that says the menu is limited ! Think they must have gone to another place. The menu is very extensive and covers meat, fish and pasta pretty comprehensively. The wine list too is good with a large selection for under £ 20/bottle. Our table of four enjoyed the fegato the lamb and the pasta all washed down with a couple bottles of white and red wine.With four starters as well we paid £ 30/head and we though the service was pretty good.

• Visited March 2014