My wife and I arrived at the running horses shortly after 6:15 on the first Saturday of the month. Friends of whom held a Christmas function the previous year recommended the place.
on arrival we were instantly greeted by a friendly young lady, and were asked if we had a reservation etc.. A warm welcome goes along way and despite the bar being very busy she succeeded in making me feel at home.
We hadn't booked ahead so chose to sit in the bar area. As non drinkers we ordered coffee and got comfortable.
My wife ordered the cod and I went for the pork belly. We shared a ham hock to start which arrived within minutes. The hock itself was fantastic but the picalilli was a little to sharp for us.
The mains were brought out to us, again very promptly, but by a different server. The shirt and tie led me to believe it may have been the manager/assistant. He was very friendly and helpfull although stinking of alcohol and swaying slightly. This was a little off putting.
However the cod was cooked to perfection with all the flavors contributing wonderfully, and my pork was so moist it was falling apart. The best dish I have had in a very long time!
Overall a 9/10 with my score having to be dropped due to the boozy boss?!
Would recommend and will be back, perhaps to enjoy an overnight stay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Running Horses is a perfect country inn at the heart of picturesque Mickleham village in the Surrey hills. Step inside and you’ll discover one of the most charming places to eat and stay in Surrey. Dating back to the 16th century, it was once a coaching house. Back in those days, the inn’s clientele provided rich pickings for highwaymen. Thankfully, things are a little more peaceful these days, but some traditions live on. You’ll still find wonderful home-cooked British food, made with the freshest ingredients, accompanied by a wine list to compare with the top restaurants. The Running Horses has been family owned and run for the last fifteen years. And because we’re not part of a chain, the inn is full of character and individual touches. You’re guaranteed a warm welcome from the moment you enter the cosy bar with its roaring log fire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Running Horses reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Running Horses Hotel Mickleham
- Running Horses Mickleham
- The Running Horses Mickleham, Surrey