“Food good, accommodation needs love” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Running Horses

The Running Horses
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mickleham
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Food good, accommodation needs love”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I work in dorking frequently, however my usual haunts were fully booked! In need of a place to stay I had to go off the beaten track. I picked the place because of the user rating and place looked pretty.

Arrived after work and staff was swift and carried my bag to the room.

The room cost £125 and honestly it had seem better days. I accept the hotel is very old but the decor was tired and the shower just needs a re-fit as many black mould marks. The booking said it was a feature room, but it is not worth what I paid.

On the flip side I ate in the restaurant and the food was awesome and the staff very polite.

Not sure I would stay again as I can get better in the area. Would eat there though.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Meeky_29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Horley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Staff wear neat uniforms, are polite to customers, and provide excellent service - pretty rare qualities in this day and age. The beer was well kept, and when one of the barrels finished, staff ushered us back to our table, and brought across the beer once the new barrel was on. We had a variety of hot and cold food, all of which was of good quality, tasty, and well presented. We visited at lunchtime, it was very busy with locals, and there was a brilliant atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Horleylad
Llandudno, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Real locals venue with character and charm, the rooms are named aptly after race courses and are excellent, have stayed in them all during my visits over the past few years.

The menu has a good selection of choice and you can choose from the bar menu or eat in the restaurant.
I have stayed many times while on business and will return when next in that area.

Room Tip: You cant go wrong with any room here
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We spent a very comfortable night staying in one of the cottages owned by the "Running Horses" Pub/Hotel; it was lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The Pub/Hotel has won awards for its food and, having eaten supper and breakfast here, we can see why; the food was very tasty with generous portions and of a high standard.

Both Julia and I are runners and we found a footpath up to Box Hill; the views have to be seen to be believed, they are stunning. If you are a runner or love walking you will not be disappointed.

A small tip; speak to Nelson, the breakfast waiter, about running and walking routes; he is a hive of information and a very lovely man. We thoroughly enjoyed his company.

A big thank you to all the staff, especially Nelson.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gatehouse cottage; we loved it!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Have been going here for years because everything is exceptional - staff, beer, wine, food and the building. I went in yesterday and, for the first time ever, there was no decent beer. The usual array of five ales had been replaced by three from Brakspears. I asked why and was told that Brakspears had bought the pub. I tried the three beers and they were all pretty grim. If this is the first sign that excellence is to be replaced by dogmatic insistence on using the brewery's standard beer, wines and menus then the dear old place is due for a sad future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David M
Hampshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I arrived at the running horses shortly after 6:15 on the first Saturday of the month. Friends of whom held a Christmas function the previous year recommended the place.
on arrival we were instantly greeted by a friendly young lady, and were asked if we had a reservation etc.. A warm welcome goes along way and despite the bar being very busy she succeeded in making me feel at home.
We hadn't booked ahead so chose to sit in the bar area. As non drinkers we ordered coffee and got comfortable.
My wife ordered the cod and I went for the pork belly. We shared a ham hock to start which arrived within minutes. The hock itself was fantastic but the picalilli was a little to sharp for us.
The mains were brought out to us, again very promptly, but by a different server. The shirt and tie led me to believe it may have been the manager/assistant. He was very friendly and helpfull although stinking of alcohol and swaying slightly. This was a little off putting.
However the cod was cooked to perfection with all the flavors contributing wonderfully, and my pork was so moist it was falling apart. The best dish I have had in a very long time!
Overall a 9/10 with my score having to be dropped due to the boozy boss?!
Would recommend and will be back, perhaps to enjoy an overnight stay

• Stayed April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Running Horses as I needed a change of scene. What I found was a pleasant mix of friendly locals and people stopping by for refreshment after a walk around the picturesque Surrey Hills setting. The food was simple but done extremely well. The selection of drinks available caters to most tastes and the wine is very good. The service was impeccable. I will be back!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank JonnyS1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mickleham
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
Woodlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cobham
The White Horse Hotel, Dorking
Hartsfield Manor Betchworth

Been to The Running Horses? Share your experiences!