“Nice afternoon tea”

Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nutfield
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I brought my family for afternoon tea to celebrate my mum's birthday. We were made to feel very welcome and the setting for the afternoon was lovely.

The cakes, scones and sandwiches were all delicious and the price was very reasonable. Once all the food and drink had been served the staff seemed to disappear and there were no attempts to ask if we needed further drinks until we left the room in search of someone so we did feel it would be nicer if the staff stayed closer by. To their merit they were very apologetic and they were happy for us to take our time. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Michael M, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review on Trip Advisor about Afternoon Tea at Nutfield Priory; it is much appreciated.

I am sorry that you felt that the waiting staff did not remain close by; we feel that Afternoon Tea is a serious business and that guests like to be left to take their time and enjoy it with their friends so we try to be as unobtrusive as possible.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Michael A McKay FIH GENERAL MANAGER

Write a ReviewReviews (1,117)

Reviewed 25 January 2012

I arrived at this hotel last weekend thinking i was being treated to a spa weekend for my birthday with my daughter, imagine my surprise at seeing my whole family there!
AT 4pm we were taken into the gibson room for afternoon tea, i was surprised again to find we were there for a murder mystery weekend, im never stuck for words but this time i was gobsmacked!!! wonderful cream tea while the actors did their thing, they were also absolutely brilliant, i love this sort of thing anyway, but they were great, they involved us all the way, even tho i got it wrong and blamed the wrong person!!!
i have stayed here before for a spa, which isnt the greatest, but the hotel is gorgeous, the rooms are luxorious and the staff very welcoming.
Dinner that evening was fantastic while we mingled with the other sleuths, and the gibson room is ideal for it.
Breakfast was lovely, again, we had ours in the gibson room as part of the sleuthing, views are to die for, all my family had a wonderful time.
Roll on the next one im hooked!!! many thanks to the wonderful actors who gave us all a good time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

I was so delighted to read your post as I know that much planning went into the organisation of this special event for your birthday. I have passed on your very kind comments to all of my colleagues; they were much appreciated and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We went to this hotel saturday in november last year with close friends as they recommended the food as a new chef has arrived, what can i say Me and Her dine out alot and stay in 4 & 5 Star hotels due to work commitments so are used to high standards, and to be honest have never been here before.
The meal we had quite frankly blew us away, from little pre starters to amazing freshly made bread rolls, the ham, butter poached chicken and foie gras terrine simply melted in your mouth and made you wanting for more, i had the 28 day aged fillet and quiet frankly have never had such a tender piece of beef and cooked to perfection, the better half had a seabass, mussel dish with chorizo mash which looked amazing and she informed us tasted likewise, the triple cooked chips we ordered as a side were the best chips any of us have ever tasted along with a scattering of we were informed red wine dried seasalt- mind blowing!, the Matre D, Peter i believe his name was made us feel like royalty and informed us he had worked with the Chef before and he had just been working for Heston!, and the beef was 'waterbathed' - wow - well from this visit we will all be recommending the food and service and definately be returning, keep it up simply stunning.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank meandherSurrey

Thank you for writing your review on Trip advisor. I was so pleased to read your comments about Cloisters restaurant and I am delighted you enjoyed the new menu devised by our Executive Chef Roger Gadsden and that Peter Binder did what he always does in delivering a ‘wow’ dining experience.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

My second stay at the priory. Gorgeous hotel, amazing food & excellent staff. Wi definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank VanessaT871

Thank you for writing such a lovely review of Nutfield Priory; I have shared your comments with all of my colleagues and I do hope that we will see you for a third and fourth visit soon.

Michael A McKay FIH
GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed 14 January 2012

Visited here on a few occasions now and what a fabulous experience. The staf are fantastic, from initial reception to Axel in the restaurant. Restaurant is beautiful in it's ambience and exceptional in it's food. Don't miss this place. A real treat, I can't recommend this highly enough. If thinking of a break this place is a must. Rooms are just lovely with one of the biggest beds I've ever slept in!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view over the downs and if you ask realy nicely, staff will be happy to upgr...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rod000

I was delighted to read your post and was really pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Nutfield; I have passed on your very kind comments to my colleagues and I appreciate the time you took to review the hotel; it is always appreciated. I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Nutfield Priory in the very near future.

Michael A McKay FIH
GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We staid for a weekend which was given to me as a gift, including some spa vouchers. I wish we had not bothered.

Despite the grand features, the hotel is very run down when you look a bit more closely (for example broken window panes in the bar mended with tape) and clearly understaffed. The same staff were working the late evening shift and then again breakfast, quite frankly they looked exhausted. I felt very sorry for them, as they were trying hard.

Overall not great on cleanliness, a tray with leftover food was left in the hall the for 24 hours (we started to take bets, how long it would take to remove it), there was a large amount of dust under furniture in the entrance hall, bathroom left much to be desired. Just some examples. You could tell that this is an establishment run solely to squeeze out maximum profit by the management.

The spa made an incorrect booking for the day prior to our arrival, although I had phoned to confirm, and there was no availability for the weekend. After a lot of hassle, they offered me some vouchers for another time, but by then I just had enough.

This hotel might be better if you were there for a wedding (this is its main purpose), with all the activities going on, you might not notice the downsides do much.

I would never stay there again, nor in any other hotel of the same group.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My friend got married at Nutfield Priory last week. We had booked to stay the night before and some spa treatments. Both the room (an executive twin room) and treatments at the spa were lovely.

The main problem with this hotel is the staff. Most, at best, were rude and the rest just didn't have a clue what customer service is.

Our room for dinner was not ready and not one person seemed able to rectify this. We were given a room as there was 15 of us about 9.15pm when the bride had asked for this to be ready at 7.30pm - we only got this room after chasing reception and the bar manager for over an hour.

On the day of the wedding, the wedding co-ordinator had not called or seen the bride so at 12pm when checking out and another couple arrived for a show round,with her, I did ask the receptionist to ensure she saw the bride first!!!

There are too many examples of bad customer service to mention really. It is a shame as the hotel really is lovely and they do have some good staff, but not many. It could be there was not enough staff or management to ensure the hotel is run with the efficiency I would expect of a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank karen_stevie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nutfield
De Vere Wotton House
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
The Runnymede on Thames
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!