“Living like a lord and lady, even if just for one night.”

Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nutfield
“Living like a lord and lady, even if just for one night.”
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Having visited the Spa facilities in the past, I'd always had in mind this place for a special night away. But I didn't realise how special a place it really is! The building is truly beautiful, with all the rooms a Downton dreamer could ask for: wooden galleries and panelling, stained glass windows, intricate details on the masonry; everywhere a delight for the eyes. Our room was lovely, with a view over the countryside; the howling wind and beating rain on the glass only made it more romantic. The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The staff were really friendly and attentive meaning you did feel rather like a lord or lady, even if only for a night. The Spa was not as splendid in comparison so I wouldn't recommend going just for a spa experience. We enjoyed a couple of hours there, but it was the Priory itself that made it such a memorable night. The evening meal was lovely too, with a good choice from the menu, even for a fussy eater.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
RussellLines, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and score.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. It is great to hear how comfortable the beds are - these have been replaced across the hotel fairly recently. I hope the weather will be better for you next time around!

All the very best.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We only have amazing things to say about the staff and in particular, Shaun, the wedding coordinator at Nutfield. We visited in November with an enquiry about a late availability wedding and got married 5 weeks later on Saturday 28th December with a wedding party of about 60. The point most worth highlighting was that not once did we feel like we had to make a compromise, we got exactly the wedding we would have planned if we had taken 18 months, in 5 weeks. Everything we asked for, whether it was a different dessert to those on the menu choices that they made especially for us (chocolate fondant and honeycomb ice cream....so good!) or a separate room for a family breakfast the next day (which they laid out with all our table decorations), they were happy to do without any fuss or bother.

The florist that is included in the package did an amazing job and the Christmas decorations that were already in place, made the venue feel festive and intimate and relaxing. The photos are lovely, especially those taken in front of the big stained glass window and the entrance archway,

The food was remarked on by all of our guests and particular thank you to the chef and his team for serving up hot, perfectly cooked salmon, despite us running massively over time on the before dinner speeches.

The team were so attentive, a big thank you to Thus who literally made us feel like VIPs all day, doing whatever was needed and checking everything was as we wanted it to be, he moved our music around every room, turned the heating down, took stuff back to the room for us, got our suite made up again after we'd used it to get ready in...nothing was ever any trouble and he did it all with his usual big smile.

Our wedding day was a very special day for lots of reasons and we're both so happy that we chose to entrust Shaun and the team at Nutfield with our big day, we couldn't have asked for a more romantic venue or a more attentive team. Thank you for making our dream come true!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your fantastic review.

The team will be delighted to know how much of an impact they had on making your special day such a success. We are very pleased that you chose Nutfield Priory and that your dream was realised. I will be sure to thank those team members involved - especially Shaun and Thus - they will both be thrilled.

Wishing you all the very best with your new life together.
England
Reviewed 24 January 2014

What can I say - a lovely building with a library, lounge with an ancient organ, beautiful suites and, best of all, some truly spectacular food at very, very reasonable prices. Only thing that lets it down is the spa, which is basically a community leisure centre next door. Treatment there was good but the spa had none of the ambience of the hotel, and pool/steam room small and a bit grotty. Still, if you're into gourmet food at a reasonable price (about £40 for 3-course dinner, and also wonderful breakfast), views of rolling hills and historic buildings, you'll love it. Staff were also just the right balance of genuinely friendly but not intrusive.

Room Tip: Save up for a suite - they're worth it
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Nutfield Priory Hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with the team - especially the kitchen brigade. The club is a modern addition with a private member base and offers an alternative ambience to the hotel itself but I do of course appreciate your comments and will be sure to follow up on your points. I really appreciate your balanced review and wonderful score. We hope to welcome you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. All of the staff made us feel very welcome, especially the Resturant Manager and the chef who wrote Happy Anniversary in chocolate on our dessert plates. The room was comfortable and to a high standard, with an anniverary card waiting for us on arrival. The extra touches made our stay extra special.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review.

We are so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your anniversary with us at Nutfield Priory. The team will be delighted that they had such a positive impact on your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your thanks - specifically to our restaurant manager and head chef.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

All the very best
UK
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My wife arranged an overnight stay here, with dinner and breakfast.

The main building is quite amazing - not many hotels can lay claim to a working organ - and plenty of places can be found in the public areas to settle down quietly.

We stayed in a suite, which was of a good size. Bathroom was huge. Having a four-poster was a first, but my only criticism of the trip was that the mattress was too soft for both myself and my wife.

Dinner was great, a six-course tasting menu very well executed. Don't bother with anything else but the house wine, it comes from the hotel group's own vineyard in Italy and, although more expensive than the average house wine, is far from average. Breakfast too was excellent, with lovely views from the restaurant of the countryside to the south.

We're now looking for an excuse too go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view south, and the higher you are the better the view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. Some wonderful comments to read - thank you. I will be sure to share them with the team. I am sorry to hear that the mattress was a little soft for your preference, we have fairly recently replaced these beds across the hotel.

You mention that you are looking for excuses to return - we would be delighted to help provide some additional excuses - so please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance. If you are able to let me know directly, if you do choose to return, so I can make a note on your reservation about your bed preference to ensure we provide a solution.

Ispra, Italy
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here for two nights last winter and I have given Handpicked Hotels a year to respond to my complaints, but have heard nothing. How very disappointing as I was prepared to overlook some of my grievances had they responded satisfactorily. They chose to ignore me,

I think that we had the Byron suite. It was very impressive; over two floors with a very sumptuous bed and gorgeous bathroom. The bedroom has a very impressive view with three large windows (the wind blew mightily against these during the night - very dramatic!) The stairs may be problematic for unfit people, and it seemed that they sent a member of staff unaccustomed to carrying a heavy tray of food up steep stairs for the room-service breakfast in the morning. I cannot emphasize how beautiful the suite was, but, there was a distinct smell of cigarettes in the room which I asked the reception about, but of course, there was nothing they could do. Not to worry; the rest of the hotel was fine and the spa facilities were excellent. The food at breakfast was fine and the setting was lovely.

My other complaint is that on returning to our room at 4 pm the next day, it had not been made up. We telephoned reception and were told that someone would come in the next hour. This did not happen. We telephoned again, but by this point they claimed that they could only send someone to make the bed. We went out to give them some time, but on our return, the bed had been made but the room not cleaned at all. I was so very disappointed when we were paying a good sum of money for the suite. There was also no form of apology for forgetting our room.

Had Handpicked Hotels responded to my disatisfaction, I would have been more inclined to write a positive review, as some of the staff were lovely and helpful. However, they have ignored several e-mails/responses to questionnaires and as a result, I have to conclude that I would recommend that you spend good money elsewhere if you are looking for luxury with good service. Sorry, but I could have been persuaded that this was a one-off oversight as there were some good positives about this hotel, but nobody bothered.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your stay back in February 2013.

I understand from your comments that no one has come back to you following previous feedback. I am not sure whom you sent your feedback too but I would be very happy to discuss your comments with you if you could spare me the time. Please accept my apologies for the negative impression you have been left with, I do hope that I can help to restore your faith in Nutfield Priory and Hand Picked Hotels.

Thank you in advance.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Thank you so much for making our day so perfect. Everything went so smoothly and it was all down to Shaun and the brilliant and professional staff at the hotel - we couldn't have asked for more. The food was perfect, the rooms looked amazing and everything right down to the last tiny detail was taken care of. Absolutely magical day.

Thank you for allowing us to enjoy the build up to our big day in comfort - all down to the precision planning by Shaun and the team working with him to ensure everything ran according to plan with minimal worry!

We plan to return to celebrate our anniversary!

Victoria and Rob.

1 Thank vic_rob_wedding
Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review.

We are delighted that you chose Nutfield Priory Hotel for your special day. The staff will be thrilled to know that they had such a positive impact on the success of your wedding day. I will of course share your comments with the team, especially Shaun of course.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the very best in your new married life together.

All the very best
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nutfield
Brooklands Hotel
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#2 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!