“Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nutfield
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel expecting a relaxing spa break as suggested in the title at the time of booking. When we arrived the hotel was beautiful and the service was good. We got to the room and it was very average and small. We got ready to go to the spa and were excited to spend the afternoon relaxing. However when we got there and we saw the swimming pool with screaming children I was adament that this couldn't be the spa so I dragged my partner around the building praying it would lead lead is to somewhere different! But unfortunately it did not. The pool is very very small and very cold. It was full of children. The steam room was barely hot and the jacuzzi was full of so much chlorine that my eyes were stinging. We lasted 25minutes in this so called 'spa'.

We then went for dinner and you either have a very limited choice of the food from bar; sandwiches, two salads, a fish of the day dish, a meat of day dish or a burger. All very pricey. Or you can dine in the restaurant for 38pound each for a three course meal - but you must pay 10pound extra for the steak.

The restaurant has beautiful views so were excited to have breakfast overlooking these. But there was a queue for these tables so instead they seated us in the back on the restaurant behind a brick wall!

This hotel is nice for a short break away and has good character and lovely views but I would not go here thinking to relax in a spa. I also would not pay their prices as you do not get what you pay for. We were lucky we found a good deal.

Unfortunately we will not be returnin here.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank ALouise21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

My fiancé and I decided to get out of London for the weekend and having known Nutfield Priory for years, I decided it would be lovely for an overnight stay.

I was shocked at how dated the hotel was and how high the prices were for somewhere fairly average outside London. We were excited to use the spa but on arrival we were shocked at how poor the facilities were and the fact that it wasn't actually part of the hotel. There was a public dance class in full swing!

The food at dinner was lovely, though prices were much higher than they should be for this part of the world. They do command London rates without a London location.

Overall, we felt it was more 'Fawlty Towers' than an elegant priory break...we were glad we did it on a deal as the full rate is unreal for the offering. The place has lost its glamour over the years and you get the impression that the hotel is an aside to its extortionate wedding business.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HotelUserLondon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Having taken my boyfriend away for his birthday, he loved this hotel and so did I, the exterior is beautiful shame about weather for the grounds are massive, rooms are nicely decorated with all mod cons and the staff are very attentive and friendly. We also enjoyed the spa although it isn't the biggest but with just what you need.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the outside grounds if they have one as it looked lovely
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
RussellLines, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you very much for your delightful review.

We are so pleased that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your time with us at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa and hope that we will be able to welcome you both back again soon.

All the very best.
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

A lovely weekend staying in the superb swift suite. The spa was nice, enough facilities and relatively quite.

However the spoiling factor for visit was our treatment in the restaurant. Our prepaid upgrade to the a la carte menu was not on their records. When questioned we were told they would "honour it" by the restaurant manager (louise pullen) leaving me feeling that they didn't believe me. We were then called through for dinner and told they were very busy and that we were in the overflow restaurant, which only had one other table occupied and no atmosphere. When I enquired abiut moving it was told to "go and get my wife" and I could have a table in the lovely main cloisters restaurant. We had no choice over the time for our dinner having been pre allocated 8:45 by which time it was clear the restaurant was already full. To finish off the evening after a lovely meal we were presented with a bill including the full cost of dinner rather than just the wine. I was told just to scrub it from the bill.

Overall a lovely stay but very poor treatment in the restaurant.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dcs1105
RussellLines, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Many thanks indeed for your review.

Please accept my apologies for your restaurant experience. Dinner is usually a significant highlight of a stay at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa - I am sorry that the normal high standards have faltered on this particular occasion. All feedback is extremely useful to us and we will share all comments with the team to ensure we continually make any improvements required. Thank you for also highlighting how much you enjoyed your bedroom suite and the spa experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you wish to discuss your feedback further.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back.

All the very best.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

For our anniversary we decided to stay at this hotel. Reviews were positive and the pictures did give it a hint of romance and warmth, just what we needed. We booked the Byron suite and we have to truly recommend it. It's on the top of the tower with the best views of Surrey for miles. Tully inspiring. We loved the hotel so much that we decided to stay an extra night, so we changed to the Shelly suite. The feel of the suite was somewhat different, but equally enchanting. Service was perfect, everyone doing their best to serve you. No issues there. Unfortunately the food didn't keep up with the ambience and was a let down, but in any case you wouldn't go there for the food.
Definitely a hotel for grown-ups.

Room Tip: Book the Byron suite for the best views of Surrey, from probably the highest building in Surrey... b...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa.

It is kind of you to highlight how you enjoyed your stay - the Byron suite in particular. It is certainly one of the unique features of Nutfield Priory. I am delighted that you chose to extend your stay based on the service and I will be sure to share this with the team who will be delighted. I have passed on your comments regarding the food to our Executive Head Chef, I am sorry if this element of the stay was not in keeping with your overall experience. Normally the food is a particular highlight of a stay here, so I appreciate the feedback as it allows us to investigate why a shortfall occurred on this particular occasion.

Thank you once more for your time.

Kind Regards
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

This was booked as a girls overnight spa break without kids. The overall experience was good, with a good 3 course meal in the restaurant and excellent service from the waiting staff and a relaxing afternoon in the spa. However what brought the break down was a dreadful night's sleep in a room that was unbearably hot, with only one window that opened an inch and aircon that seemed to only make it hotter. The only way we could cool it down enough to sleep was to wedge the door into the corridor open with a towel to try and get some air, but then we woke up at every creak convinced someone was coming into the room. When we complained the next morning we got no sympathy or explanation. A shame as otherwise it would have been an good experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

I understand from your comments that you enjoyed your spa break and were particularly pleased with the service both in the hotel and indeed in the spa itself. I am sorry to hear that the temperature of your bedroom was too warm - I will follow up as to why this was not spotted prior to your arrival. I apologise for any discomfort your felt at the time. Please also accept my apologies for any lack of understanding the following morning when you raised the temperature issue.

I would be grateful if you could spare me the time to give me a call directly on 01737 824401 so we can discuss your stay a little further.

All the very best
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We booked a treatment at the spa before went over to the main hotel for afternoon tea. We decided on the neck, shoulder & back massage which was perfect. While waiting for the masseur, we could help ourselves to refreshments and relax in the waiting area. We didn't have to wait long before we were called through. It was 25 mins of pure bliss. Not rushed in anyway. It set us up perfectly for our tea.

The afternoon tea consisted of finger sandwiches, fruit & plain scones with cream & jam, and petite cakes, and endless pots of tea or coffee with plenty of choice of leaf or coffee bean! Again we weren't rushed at all. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It was a busy time for the staff as a wedding was going on and a huge birthday celebration but they made us feel just as important. It was a very relaxing setting with great views looking out over the countryside. Would highly recommend the nutfield for a special occasion.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AliPatCat
Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review.

It is kind of you to share your experience on Trip Advisor. The team, especially the spa, lounge and kitchen, will be thrilled to know they had such a positive impact on your experience.

I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

All the very best
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nutfield
Brooklands Hotel
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#2 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!