“Sub standard afternoon tea”

Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nutfield
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Service very slow - it was at least 25 mins before our drinks arrived and another 30 mins wait for food. Then told I would have to pay extra as my Hand Picked Hotels voucher did not cover the sandwiches!! Manager later apologized for their mistake with a glass of champers, but very embarrassing and put a real downer on my mum's Mother's Day treat. Portions were small and I did not feel it was value for money compared to other afternoon teas I've had. Will not be visiting again or recommending to friends.

Stayed: June 2014
RussellLines, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Many thanks indeed for your review.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly to verify the date of your booking. Our afternoon tea is often mentioned as a real highlight of a stay at Nutfield Priory. I appreciate your review states you stayed in June – but any further details you could provide me with would allow me to look in to your comments for you.

Many thanks in advance for your time. My direct number is 01737 824401.

Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,117)

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my hubby stayed here for my belated birthday treat. The building and scenery was amazing. The staff were so friendly and made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived.

The room we stayed in was basic and for the money we paid for a two night stay I would of expected a bit more. Also our room was changed on the card we was given so not sure if we were downgraded!!

The food was exceptional we had dinner from the a la care menu on the first night and the 6 course taster menu on the second again like others have said very expensive - big compliments to the chefs
Breakfast was also nice however the buffet was a little limited and didnt seem that fresh.

The spa was ok swimming pool is a bit old and boring and not deep enough. The gym was great and I had two treatment which were fantastic the girls were lovely and really looked after the guests.

Overall a lovely place to go but a bit overpriced and the spa could do with a bit of a revamp.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa.

The team will be delighted with your comments around general service & friendliness and of course the Kitchen brigade will be very pleased with your feedback on the tasting menu. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your bedroom; I have checked and can confirm that you were allocated a room within the category booked; the specific room number was changed due to availability at the time of check in. Due to the historic nature of the building our rooms do differ from one to the next, perhaps if we were lucky enough to welcome you back - I could show you a selection of bedrooms for you to choose from.

Thank you for your time. All the very best.

Russell

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We choose this as a unique place for our last night in England, with a day at Hever Castle before flying out the following noon from Gatwick. It worked fine for that, although figuring out the route from Hever Castle to the hotel took a little effort. (We did not have GPS in our car.) Getting to Gatwick, however, was easy from the hotel. The facility itself, as others have noted, has a wonderful historic main building and we enjoyed our giant junior suite with a view from within that building. The small non-view rooms and spa area seemed less desirable. The dinner in the restaurant was good but overpriced. Our main complaint is that the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night, which could happen anywhere, but based on other reviews, it sounds like this may not be a rarity here. We also found the high tub moderately difficult to get in and out of.

Room Tip: A junior suite is worth the added cost. I wouldn't stay here in a lesser room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
RussellLines, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Many thanks indeed for choosing to stay at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa for your final night of your trip to England and indeed for taking the time to post a review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel especially the junior suite and dinner. I appreciate your preference is to stay in a junior suite - pleasingly on this point we are lucky enough to have 15 suites (junior or master suites) to choose from - so if your return I am confident of having an appropriate room for you.

Please accept my apologies for the disturbance you experienced due to the fire alarm. Our alarm system is set in accordance with the primary requirement for guest safety but of course I appreciate that this incident was not conducive to a relaxing nights sleep.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back again.

All the very best.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

My (now) husband stayed here in mid May after our wedding. The staff were superb at helping carry all our presents to the suite at gone midnight - of which there were many trips to and fro!

We stayed in the Wordsworth which was absolutely gorgeous. Everything about it was wonderful, the views were resplendent. Only cock up was when the hot water ran out on the first day but it was immediately fixed by an engineer. Reception were excellent at sending ice buckets etc and the room service was wonderful.

I suppose the only downfall was the spa and pool which do seem a little worse for wear. The staff are friendly but the pool is tiny and not deep at all.

We dined in the restaurant one night - the food was utterly divine - although outrageously expensive.

The terrace gets the sun all day and the staff are very good at bringing drinks etc.

We had the most wonderful weekend and would definitely recommend the hotel - and especially the Wordsworth suite to anyone!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Many congratulations on your wedding!

Thank you so much for still finding the time to post a review. It is always extremely rewarding for the team to know when a guest has enjoyed their time with us - so many thanks for your comments. I am sorry for any hot water issue and am glad that it was resolved immediately.

I appreciate your balanced review. Thank you very much for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I booked a Spa day for me and my wife and, although expensive, we did feel pampered and the staff in the Spa itself were very good and the treatments very relaxing. The Gym and swimming facilities were also good. However, the lunch was very average - the Avocado "Mousse" was in fact slices of unripe Avocado, the main was ok, but the dessert was poor and not worth the money. The food was uninteresting, reflecting the lack of effort or skill that went into preparing it. My advice would be to have a the bar food - the lunch was definately not worth £25 per head.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your treatments during your spa day - the team will be delighted. I am sorry to hear of your concerns around the spa lunch. For your information I have met with the Chef and he is introducing a new menu imminently which I am sure will be well received.

Many thanks for your time and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Came here after doing helicopter ride over London as part of my husbands both celebrations. We stayed in the feature bed suite with great views. It was amazing! Massive and clean with coffee machine and evening maid service. Bathroom and dressing room were stunning.
Food good, we shared the chateaubriand. Staff very efficient and friendly. Bar lacking atmosphere. Some music would be good but think the speakers were broken.
Hannah in the spa was fantastic and very helpful. Had a great facial, fell asleep!
Breakfast is served to you which was great and a huge good quality serving-we both couldn't finish it! Great hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get the Suite!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loveaholiday!Surrey

Thank you so much for your wonderful review & score.

It is always a delight to read such feedback and to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. It is very kind of you to take the time to post your comments. I can confirm that we have some further improvements planned for music in the bar area that will enhance the atmosphere there.

All the very best for now and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a one night stay at Nutfield Priory with use of the spa and a treatment each. I can't fault the spa, the staff were lovely and we felt pampered and relaxed too - it was very relaxing. We also went to a yoga class and a pilates class, both of which were excellent. We upgraded to a suite in the hotel which was absolutely beautiful with amazing views of the Downs from the window. Supper was slightly hit and miss but the pudding was delicious. They did however redeem themselves with a fantastic breakfast. My husband had a smoked salmon omelette which he said was lovely, and I had lots of fresh fruit and yoghurt from the well stocked buffet. We then went back to the spa before leaving. Would definitely recommend and revisit.

Room Tip: The views are amazing so try to get a room on the south side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
DGM_ARowledge, Deputy General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and highlight so many aspects of your experience. I am also pleased that you took the time to enjoy one of our yoga and pilates classes during your time with us. Thank you for choosing to stay at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Adam Rowledge
Deputy General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nutfield
De Vere Wotton House
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
The Runnymede on Thames
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!