“Amazing food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nutfield
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Amazing food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at the Nutfield Priory for a spa weekend and overall it was good.

The Spa was really nice, not outstanding. I would say I have been to better, but it generally had everything you needed. The staff were lovely. The only thing it lacked was a certain standard of luxury that I have seen in other more dedicated spa's. The spa at Nutfield is also the health club that is open to locals.

Our room in the hotel was excellent, very big, massive bed, nicely decorated and on the 3rd floor so we had a great view of the surrounding countryside.

Building is gorgeous, beautiful library to sit and drink wine in.

The real winner for me was dinner in the Cloisters restaurant. The food was faultless, the service was excellent and they had a great wine list.

We had some room service later in the evening and that was pretty average.

Breakfast was a little disappointing, they got our order wrong both for food and drinks and the food was just okay, nothing like we had experienced for dinner the night before.

Would return in future as its just up the road from us in Brighton, really easy drive up the A23/M23 and the cost was very reasonable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Alex A
DGM_ARowledge, Deputy General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable weekend at the hotel and in particular identify your experience in Cloisters Restaurant as the highlight of your stay. I am sorry for the error that we made with your breakfast order and trust that this did not detract from an otherwise enjoyable stay. Thank you for staying with us and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
East Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed here for one night on business earlier this month. The hotel itself is in a lovely area with amazing views from the bar area.
My room had a lovely decor and was very quiet at night and the room had air con which is always a bonus.
I ended up eating my evening meal in the bar as I felt that the restaurant menu was quite limited and there was nothing that really took my fancy. The food from the bar was ok but nothing special, I've had nicer meals that cost less money elsewhere.
The breakfast menu was quite limited and again just average, absolutely nothing special about it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa but am disappointed that you found our food offering to be average as it is very often the highlight of our guests experience. If you do have any further feedback that you would like to share with me regarding our lounge menu or breakfast offering then I would be very grateful if you would contact me directly at arowledge@handpicked.co.uk

Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

What a beautiful historic building offering stunning views of the Surrey countryside all around!
We stayed here for two nights in the "Swift Suite" over a week-end to attend a wedding close by and to celebrate my wife"s birthday. The hotel is obviously very popular as a wedding venue, and the week-end we stayed was no exception! There seemed to be a shortage of staff to cater for anyone not in the several wedding parties present.
A simple snack and drink from the bar for my daughter took over an hour to arrive, and then arrived without the drink. This was then followed by some confusion over allowing my daughter to enter our suite because she didn't have a credit card!
( The room had already been booked and paid for many weeks before, as well as an in depth discussion by phone as to my daughter having access to the suite while my wife and I attended a wedding close by )
The Swift Suite has stunning views and is large and comfortable, however the entire room including the walls, ceiling, carpets, bedding, fixtures and fittings..... in fact everything is painted the darkest brown/mauve you could imagine! Vey strange, not to mention oppressive. I spent much time fumbling around looking for items I had put down just because it all just blended into one big brown backdrop.
The breakfast offered was delicious, again with stunning views looking across the rolling hills.
On our last morning after check out we met with some friends on the lawn for a quick coffee, and again waited for forty five minutes for it to arrive. No wedding parties on this day so have no idea as to why it took so long!

Room Tip: The "swift Suite is at the rear of the hotel with absolutely beautiful views, ask for a room or...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RJSaHongKong
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that on the whole you had a positive stay with us but am very sorry for the delays that you encountered with service in the bar and lounge areas. I do hope that this would not deter you from returning to stay with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Thank you sooooooo much to the incrediable team at Nutfield Priory for helping us to have what was the best day of our whole entire lives!!!! All of the staff were so amazing - you all surpassed all of our expectations and then some! We really never dreamed that our wedding day would be that perfect and we will remember it and you all forever (we're still in the wedding bubble now :)).

Please pass on our thanks to the whole team and the kitchen and waiting staff - the food and service was truly amazing.

We look forward to coming back and staying with you on each anniversary :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RussellLines, General Manager at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review - I would imagine you are pretty busy with things following your wedding.

The team will be delighted that they had such a positive impact on your special day. We are so grateful that you chose Nutfield Priory for your wedding and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Many congratulations on your marriage, wishing you all the very best for your new life together.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Visited the spa with three girlie friends this Saturday with the intention to relax and catch up with each other. On arrival we had a brief tour of the spa (I prefer this as opposed to a long winded give you every detail tour), changed into our robes ( which were nice and thin as opposed to heavy towelling) and relaxed in the lounge area where there were complimentary hot drinks and fruit.

The pool area was nice, with jacuzzi, pool, steam and sauna. Pleasantly surprised how quiet it was so could happily float around the pool without worrying about upsetting more serious swimmers. There is also a gym overlooking the pool.

We all had a short treatment included in our spa package. I had a facial which left me feeling relaxed and my skin glowing, the others also had positive comments about their treatments. My only criticism wa that my treatment room was off the nail area so I could hear people chatting which did take the edge off it slightly.

We lunched in the bar area. Food was good but bit strange to be sitting in your robe with other people who are using the spa as a fitness centre and pool, including children. Later in the day we had afternoon tea which was served in a separate room reserved for people using the spa which was pleasant. The multiple cakes and scones were excellent, a good variety. Could have done with a few more, or slightly larger, sandwiches. We also had a glass of champagne, which had initially been forgotten about but the bar staff quickly rectified when reminded.

The biggest negative of this spa was the changing rooms which are tiny! Upstairs there was just one shower cubicle squeezed into the room with the lockers so barely enough space to get changed and certainly not an opportunity for a relaxing end to the day. There were however more showers downstairs near the pool area.

One small thing we loved was the personal greetings. On opening our assigned lockers there was a personal welcome note and at afternoon tea a lovely frame with our names in on the table!

So overall we had a great day and would probably return, but it's not up there for me in terms of a luxury spa.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travelling_Bird
Many thanks indeed for choosing Nutfield Priory Hotel for your spa day and for taking the time to post a review.

Thank you for your balanced comments, we are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and we will take on board the constructive feedback offered.

All the very best.
Surrey, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Being local and having joined the health club we had a voucher for a 1 night stay so we stayed before flying out on holiday the next day. Booking was accommodating as we wanted a Fri night but voucher Sun - Thur. I had offered to pay the extra difference but they allowed the Friday for nothing extra. The room was very nice, clean, nicely decorated with good air con as one of the hottest days of the year. The shower, simple to use, powerful and instantly hot, so rare to get all 3 in hotels in our experience. My wife had some treatments in the spa and thought they were very good and the beautician was excellent. We had a meal in the restaurant. It is expensive eating of the a la carte menu, but it was a fantastic meal. High quality ingredients, well presented, good portion size, great taste. The views out of the restaurant over the surrey countryside and into Sussex are great. Breakfast was god and all the staff throughout the stay were great. We will eat there again for a special treat.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
What a lovely review to read - many thanks indeed for these lovely words and for taking the time to post them.

I am delighted that you have chosen Nutfield Priory for your club membership and that you have had an opportunity to redeem your stay voucher. Thank you for highlighting all the positives about your experience.

I trust that you enjoyed your holiday. Enjoy your membership.

All the best.
Bexley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

On arrival said our room would be available by 15:00, and asked to have a relaxing drink in the bar, and Steven the duty manager, would come and get us when room was ready. 16:30 still in the bar waiting, in the end I went to the reception desk and asked about the room and the lady apologised for not being told it was ready. Got into our room and found no electric was working, reception said they were working on it. Had 2 wait 20mins before electric came back on. 17:30 electric went off again whilst ironing my shirt, and supposed to be meeting our friends at 18:00
. We then demanded an upgrade to where there was electricity, and they agreed, moved to a suite and all was well. Our meal was included which was 7 tapas taster dish, none of the food contained peri peri source or chillies, but the wine selection which accompanied each dish was spot on.
Because of the duty manager being busy we didn’t get a chance to use the spa facilities which was one of the main reason we went
The bar lager was reasonably priced £4:70 for carling export, and 2 lagers & a bottle of wine £44:00

Room Tip: probably pay more for bedrooms over looking the surrey countryside
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

Although I appreciate you have rated us as 4 out of 5, I understand you were disappointed with a couple of elements of your stay - for which I apologise. I can confirm that a couple of rooms did experience a brief power cut but was resolved as soon as possible - I am sorry for the delay this caused you in your dinner preparations. I am pleased that the team were able to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite along with a couple of glasses of bubbles as a gesture for the delay on arrival.

Thank you for providing some feedback at the time of your stay, this allowed us an opportunity to overcome the issues raised and ensure you could enjoy the remainder of your stay with us.

We hope to be able to welcome you back.

All the very best.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nutfield
Brooklands Hotel
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#2 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!