“New menue”

China house
Ranked #44 of 80 Restaurants in Reigate
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Opposite Reigate Train Station
Reigate, United Kingdom
“New menue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Been visiting the China for a long time. They have now decided to change the menu from all you can eat, to a set menu. Although a new style, almost the same, it, works well, as you don't have any waist and you still have plenty to eat. (even the big eaters).
A nice pleasant feeling and service is good.

2 Thank Allan F

Surrey, United Kingdom
“Complete and utter shock!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Having met former work colleagues at the China House for a regular 'catch up' on several occasions in the past, you can imagine our complete and utter shock when we visited again last night! The great food and the bustling, vibrant atmosphere had gone - completely!
Firstly, why did we bother to book a table as the place was practically empty! A booking was always required in the past to guarantee a table, but clearly customers are now voting with their feet.
Secondly, the very odd menu and ordering procedure had all of us scratching our heads and when we were eventually served, the food came up in dribs and drabs and was nowhere near the quality that it used to be.
Thirdly, it is more of a snack than a feast as portion sizes have been dramatically reduced - but you still pay a good price (£16= per head excluding drinks/coffee etc).
I enquired as to whether ownership had changed and was told no. So if that is the case, then here is a message for the management "go back to your old model and get back the old China House, you have made a huge mistake with this change". As a previous reviewer has said, "if it is not broken, do not fix it".
Unfortunately, we will not be rushing back.

4 Thank WyrreJ
Redhill, United Kingdom
“Why fix it if it ain't broke?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been visiting this restaurant for years as we live in holmesdale road, we loved it so much we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary with many friends their ( 9 yrs ago!) the best thing about it was the all you can eat menu - it was like a good quality version of 'charlie choys' and those other places. To my terrible disappointment this was no longer available on my last visit and was replaced by a bizarre and incredibly complicated version if a menu which seemed like it's designed to stop me from walking out with a big satisfied belly. I understand that the owners want to prevent waste but really? Is it that much of a deal when each customer was spending in the region of £17 per head?

I'm certain I tasted a difference in quality of the food however, it being better and I believe healthier as it seemed less tasty and a little bland and saltless.

What a shame, was once one of my favourite restaurants. I shall not be going back unless they revert back to the good old ways :(

4 Thank jimal1969
London, United Kingdom
“Lunchtime meal for two, new menu, new prices, new restrictions.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Myself and my partner have been visiting this restaurant for the past 3 years and we visited there last week for a lunchtime meal for the first time in a few months. We were surprised to see the new layout of the menu as beforehand it was an all you can eat menu with as many dishes but served in smaller portions as you like. They now operate on a sort of points system where for parties upto six people you get to have six points to spend on the starters. All starters are worth one point each but the mixed hors d'oeuvres platter is worth five. It's a similar situation for the middle course which includes the soups and ducks so if you fancy a soup and a bit of duck you'd have to order it between your party and share. The main course is six points for upto six people. For parties of six or more people you get to add an additional point/dish per person.

The plus side of this menu is that you are not creating a lot of waste and I found it easier to make a choice of what to have. However the main reason I liked this restaurant is that I could order a dish that I would never usually try and I could still order what I really fancied alongside it. Additionally we felt that the food quality has improved again as the food was hot and tasted fresh whereas previous times it has tasted reheated and not very warm.They also now appear to offer you to take the left overs home which is good if you cannot finish it.
The prawn crackers are no longer left on the tables but served to you fresh as you sit down so this is an improvement.

The main issue with the new menu aside from the price increases, is that you cannot top up on your favourites. I always preferred the starters and so would refill on them and then only have one dish for my main but now I am restricted by their boundaries. You also cannot try any new dishes without it eating into your points allocation. Another small thing is that they no longer serve large glasses of coke it is served in those little glass bottles and it is fairly expensive so you are incurring additional charges wherever you look.

Overall this restaurant is still a lovely place to visit with friends or family and despite the hike in price and restrictive menu it still is a nice place to eat. However I am disappointed by the change as it now means that a place we once regarded as somewhere to go on a fortnightly basis with friends will now be reserved for special occasions and the odd lunchtime.

Just note: The 10% compulsory tip is still added and it doesn't appear as if any of the decor has changed and so I do not know whether this is a revamp of the restaurant or a change of ownership.

Croydon, United Kingdom
“Evening Meal, Note New Menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We went there last night expecting as usual to have the all you can eat menu, we like this as they cook to order and we usually have mainly starters and just a small main dish. However you now have a choice of 8 items on the menu for a small size party and this amounted to one item of what you ordered, so prawn tempura = 1 each per portion ordered, so you get 8 items. And the portion was small. The duck was very nice and with us the main meal, you order 6 items was larger and better than previous visits, but for us the best part was starters. We will not visit again, but the food was nice, albeit less and the price has increased. Will be interesting to see if the place survives once people realise it is not what it used to be.

1 Thank Whiplashcharlie