“Two weeks. Zero complaints.”

Best Western Reigate Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Reigate
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Two weeks. Zero complaints.”
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Spending two weeks in any hotel enables a traveler to experience most of what the venue has to offer. My experience: altogether pleasant and comfortable in every significant respect.

For my business travel I need three basics from a hotel:
1. A room conducive to a restful night’s sleep
2. A bathroom with adequate hot water and linens
3. An overall ambiance of cleanliness and convenience
I’m happy to say the Reigate Manor met every one of those needs.

1. My room was lower level at the end of the hallway. It was smallish but not inconveniently so, and I found sufficient room for lounging in the evening or working on my notebook computer. The décor was a bit dated, perhaps, but it was clean and not shabby. The bed was comfortable, the bed linens were fresh. The room had no stains or strange odors, no sagging drapes or torn carpet. The electric kettle and a small assortment of teas and instant coffee were appreciated and enjoyed daily. The wireless Internet was sometimes weak but proved to be quite acceptable. The quietness of my room was surprising—it faced a busy thoroughfare but I never heard any untoward traffic noise, and I’m sure I could have counted on one hand the number of times I heard another guest coming or going.
2. The bathroom was every bit as clean as I could ask. Hardware was shined, mirrors were polished, the shower screen was unspotted. Two or three times during my stay I could detect the smell of chlorine bleach when I returned of an evening. The smell dissipated quickly but was additional evidence that housekeeping took seriously their job of cleaning and sanitizing the bathroom. Toweling was a bit aged and past its prime, but wasn’t stained or ragged. The provided toiletries were of good quality. And except for very early morning hours (before 6:30, let’s say) the hot water did not disappoint. A 5:00 AM shower was warm enough not to be uncomfortable in a cool room. And I was totally pleased with the bathtub/shower hardware—if I could I’d install the same in my own home.
3. Public areas were kept orderly and clean. Everything I needed was easily accessible without any need for asking a staff member. The lobby seating area was comfortable and inviting.

My other observations are these:
4. After twelve consecutive mornings any breakfast buffet will become a bit boring, but the restaurant had sufficient variety that every morning was satisfying. The croissants were fabulous and the bacon never failed to be delicious. The only significant change I’d make would be hot milk alongside my pot of tea.
5. All staff members I met were courteous and helpful. Of a certainty some had a more sparkling personality than others, but that’s simply the way we humans are. I always felt I was a welcomed guest.
6. Timothy the Cat was an excellent hotel representative. A sweet little tuxedo male, he is the hotel’s somewhat-adopted mascot, and he charms staff and guests alike. Timothy never presumes “Everybody loves cats!” Rather, he stands patiently to one side, near the entrance, and if a cat-fancying guest wants to make friends he will cheerfully oblige. I give kudos to management and staff who look out for Timothy and make sure he’s reasonably fed and sheltered. This small touch reveals a friendly and caring ethos that carries over to hotel guests, believe me. Thank you, Reigate Manor, for Timothy.

Reigate Manor will not overwhelm you with glitz and luxury, but if you seek clean and comfortable lodging with unobtrusive attention from hotel staff I certainly do recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JVDonnant
Giles T, General Manager at Best Western Reigate Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thanks for your detailed and kind response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we will see you back at the hotel in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I was not impressed by some of the staff, not very helpful.
I did not feel welcome at all during my 1 night stay.

Room were very basic, nothing amazing to report. Would probably not go back for this price.

Only choosen it due to the location, but I would rather drive extra miles for a better hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
I am disspointed we did not meet your expectations further and would like to pursue how we can improve this. Please contact me via the hotel website and hopefully I can restore your faith in our hotel

Travellers are raving about these Reigate hotels

Kent, England, U.K.
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Minutes off the M25, with a well-practiced operation providing celebratory dinner-dances, and comfortable rooms with all the necessary features: what's not to like?
Plenty of staff were on hand throughout the day and night, and all were helpful, attentive and efficient.
Efficiency is possibly the key word for this hotel. If you are on a budget and/or just staying the night it provides an excellent service for the price. By the way, I share the appreciation by other reviewers of the shower. Why can't they all be as easy to use?

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Many thanks for your kind words - we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel over 2013!
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

A little shabby in places with tired desks and wardrobes in the room but the room was clean particularly the bath room.I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised.My friends complained that there breakfasts were not hot,I just had the coffee which was great!

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last weekend (19-20 Jan 2013) with a friend who was having his birthday there. The reception area is a little lacklustre with the strange sale of charity cards in a box by the reception desk. On the whole the reception area and bar through two doors are very plain and simple but having said that the receptionist was fine and the bar service was ok. Our room was perfectly ok - it's not an expensive hotel really so you wouldn't expect too many luxurious touches. Soaps and shower gels and the usual tissues, sewing kit etc were provided as were tea, sugar coffee etc with a decent TV. The bed was clean and comfortable. The bath was quite amusing in that it was a short bath that wasn't very deep - I am only 5ft 3 with my husband being 5ft 7 and I couldn't lay down in it - I hope there weren't too many people who were tall. The shower however was very good and powerful with plenty of hot water. The usual small black marks in the grouting were of course there but they are to be found in so many hotels it isn't really worth mentioning. The dj at the function we were attending was very good with people getting up on the dance floor quite readily after the meal. The meal was satisfactory but with the choice of pate, fish mousse or soup as starters, chicken breast, fish or pork for main course and a selection of defrosted apple pie, profiteroles or some fresh fruit salad they couldn't really do much wrong. Having said that the fish did arrive lukewarm and had prawns on it which I don't remember reading on the menu when we were choosing - fine if you aren't allergic to shellfish and it was swimming in butter which was excessive. It was all edible though. The bar shut very quickly once the dj finished playing so no opportunity for that last nightcap. Breakfast was only served until 9.30 which on a Sunday morning after a party could have at least been until 10 but we did manage to make it. Reasonable choice of foods - self service to fried breakfast with reasonable choice of cereals, pastries, fresh fruits, cheese and ham with rolls or bread and jams, Marmite and various spreads so not much to complain about on the whole with coffee and tea being served by waitresses who were quite cheerful. As I said, this is a perfectly good place for a party as a venue which isn't too expensive.

Room Tip: Our room faced the road but there wasn't too much noise. There was a roller blind and quite thi...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Giles T, General Manager at Best Western Reigate Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Many thanks for completing your feedback on the hotel.

I am sorry to hear that your meal was 'lukewarm', I hope this was resolved on the night. I have double checked the menu and it mentions the main dish you mentioned did have prawns included. I am sorry if this was not brought to you attention.
All of our events are stated with menus at http://www.reigatemanor.co.uk/events/hotel-events

Breakfast is served until 9.30am as this suits many of our guests. We also have a lunch menu to prepare for in that function suite.
Turkey
Reviewed 20 January 2013

This is a reasonably good hotel for the price. Registration is simple and straight forward and there is ample parking. Certainly the hotel has seen better times and it is a little shabby in places.

However, the room was well laid out and with more than adequate provision of creature comforts. The bed was comfortable and the wi-fi worked well. The only criticism would be the paper thin walls which allowed voices from the next room ( and even the more amorous noises late at night ) to be much louder than should be acceptable.

The breakfasts here are good with a choice of continental or cooked. Staff are efficient enough and everything works well but it could be much better.

The food is not cheap here which is why so many people seemed to be using the Petrol Station next door to get their Costa Coffees or snacks rather than eat in the lack lustre restaurant. The food is quite bland and not great value for money either. You would be better advised to eat in the town.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with good soundproofing.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to complete the feedback on the hotel. I am dissapointed you didn't enjoy the food at the hotel and would like to see how we can improve on this. Please can you contact the hotel at hotel@reigatemanor.co.uk and mark it for my attention.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2012

There is nothing specifically bad about Reigate Manor but like so many hotels in this country you wish it could be better. You wish the reception staff could be slightly more pleased to see you, that they might just ask whether you needed a hand with your luggage to your room, that they would have warned you that your room might be a bit tricky to find rather than relying on vague directions and misleading signs. You wish that when they installed electronic locks on the doors they had done a better job of patching where the old Yale locks were. You wish that the towels were a bit newer and the shower screen a but more robust. And it would have been nice if someone had dealt with the stained hinges on the lavatory seat. You wish, too, that the were slightly fewer patterns competing in the decor of your room. At breakfast you wish that there were slightly better sausages that the bread made slightly nicer toast and maybe that the marmalade on offer was not Golden Shred. None of these wishes in itself is anything other than a niggle. Yes, it could have been much worse and you mustn't grumble - but with a bit more care and thought it could have been a great deal better.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Giles T, Manager at Best Western Reigate Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Many thanks for your comments and sorry we did not reach some of your expectations. Your comments have been noted and hopefully these will be improved come your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reigate
Bridge House Hotel
The Cranleigh Hotel
#2 of 3 in Reigate
Hartsfield Manor Betchworth
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel

Been to Best Western Reigate Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!