“Old Worldy hotel but excellent breakfast”

BEST WESTERN Reigate Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Reigate
Ilkley
“Old Worldy hotel but excellent breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

This best western can only be described as oldey worldy which in layman's terms means it could probably do with a lick of paint, and a possible refurbishment, having said that the food at the breakfast table was truly excellent, and recommended

The hotel is a short distance from Reigate station although it would probably take 30 minutes to walk into town, an average business hotel, though not as expensive as central London hotels so good for a couple of nights stay, there is free Wi-Fi which is always welcome

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Giles T, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Reigate Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to pass some feedback on regarding the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast! We should hopefully have some plans to modernise areas of the hotel shortly. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel later in 2013.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Larkhall
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

A business hotel, the rooms were very nice, bright, clean and comfortable but the public areas and corridors are in need of a makeover.

First time I have stayed here would use it again when on business but will try other places in Reigate first.

Breakfast was not very impressive the buffet continental part was OK but the cooked breakfast was a mess. I asked for poached eggs with my mushrooms, bacon and beans. Neither the eggs or the mushrooms were drained and the beans were swimming around on the plate in a gooey semi clear liquid.

My collegue requested an iron and ironing board from reception, as we were going out reception said they would be left at his room door for his return. They were both there on his return, unfortunately the iron had no plug on it so was useless. Staff need a bit more attention to detail.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Giles T, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Reigate Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete some feedback on the hotel. I am disspointed to hear breakfast was not up to our standard. I apologies as well for the iron, a very simple error which should of been picked up by the member of staff.

Please feel free to contact me directly at gt@reigatemanor.co.uk if you are ever in the area again and I am sure we can improve on these basic errors next time.
Rugby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

I have stayed here before, but did not review it: a shame, as it really is one of the nicest "business" hotels around. Good location, reasonable prices, excellent service, comfortable rooms, very good food: says it all, really. No, it's not glitzy, nor is it very "smart", but it's welcoming, homely and one gets well looked-after. These are certainly MY priorities!
Worthy of special mention are: Daniel, on front desk; Mr Pedro, the Maitre d'; the young Albanian chap in the bar (missed his name). Of these, Daniel and Pedro really could be working in a London 5-star establishment, but I am so glad they are here!
AND the TV (flat screen, wall mounted) was a) good and b) received Radio 4.........
It makes a pleasant change to be able to give a wholly positive review:
Well done to the management for encouraging this superb attitude.

Room Tip: try to get the ground floor..... easier all round!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Iain Richard S
Giles T, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Reigate Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words! I will make sure the staff you mentioned are aware of your comments and it is always great too hear the team’s hard work is at the benefit of our customers! Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you back at the hotel over 2013!
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

I stayed for one night, on a business trip. Check in was friendly and welcoming and the room was perfectly good, comfortable and with free WiFi. It was clean and well equipped with the little extras such a toiletries and tea & coffee. One small gripe is that the hotel chooses to illuminate the outside of the building and this lighting can be intrusive in the rooms and undesirable for those who need it good and dark to sleep well. Fortunately, I'm not affected in this way.

Where the hotel is poor (and what moves it from four down to three stars) is the rotten dinner I had. The service was very pleasant and attentive actually so no complaints there, but the food was awful. The goat's cheese starter was supposed to be served with a fruit sauce but actually came with a small dish of peri-peri sauce (the same sauce that was about to make a reappearance on my main!). The rocket leaves on which the cheese rested was dry, undressed and limp. The main (peri-peri chicken) was served without vegetables and the chips were oven chips. There was no attempt at presentation.
Breakfast was, thankfully, a much better affair, although I only had "continental" options. It was great that the fresh fruit salad is genuinely fresh.

In summary then, the location is convenient, the rooms fine but eat dinner elsewhere until the hotel either re-trains or replaces the chef who created my dinner.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Giles T, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Reigate Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to pass some feedback on about the hotel. I am glad the bedroom and amenities were to your liking. Our bedrooms are all equipped with both black-out blinds and curtains. This means that the illuminated signs on the side of the hotel should not cause any of our guests discomfort when sleeping.

I am very disappointed you didn't enjoy your dinner. We are currently redoing our restaurant menu. If you are in the area again please contact me directly at the hotel and I will be happy to supplement you a main course to renew your faith in our dining room.
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

Spending two weeks in any hotel enables a traveler to experience most of what the venue has to offer. My experience: altogether pleasant and comfortable in every significant respect.

For my business travel I need three basics from a hotel:
1. A room conducive to a restful night’s sleep
2. A bathroom with adequate hot water and linens
3. An overall ambiance of cleanliness and convenience
I’m happy to say the Reigate Manor met every one of those needs.

1. My room was lower level at the end of the hallway. It was smallish but not inconveniently so, and I found sufficient room for lounging in the evening or working on my notebook computer. The décor was a bit dated, perhaps, but it was clean and not shabby. The bed was comfortable, the bed linens were fresh. The room had no stains or strange odors, no sagging drapes or torn carpet. The electric kettle and a small assortment of teas and instant coffee were appreciated and enjoyed daily. The wireless Internet was sometimes weak but proved to be quite acceptable. The quietness of my room was surprising—it faced a busy thoroughfare but I never heard any untoward traffic noise, and I’m sure I could have counted on one hand the number of times I heard another guest coming or going.
2. The bathroom was every bit as clean as I could ask. Hardware was shined, mirrors were polished, the shower screen was unspotted. Two or three times during my stay I could detect the smell of chlorine bleach when I returned of an evening. The smell dissipated quickly but was additional evidence that housekeeping took seriously their job of cleaning and sanitizing the bathroom. Toweling was a bit aged and past its prime, but wasn’t stained or ragged. The provided toiletries were of good quality. And except for very early morning hours (before 6:30, let’s say) the hot water did not disappoint. A 5:00 AM shower was warm enough not to be uncomfortable in a cool room. And I was totally pleased with the bathtub/shower hardware—if I could I’d install the same in my own home.
3. Public areas were kept orderly and clean. Everything I needed was easily accessible without any need for asking a staff member. The lobby seating area was comfortable and inviting.

My other observations are these:
4. After twelve consecutive mornings any breakfast buffet will become a bit boring, but the restaurant had sufficient variety that every morning was satisfying. The croissants were fabulous and the bacon never failed to be delicious. The only significant change I’d make would be hot milk alongside my pot of tea.
5. All staff members I met were courteous and helpful. Of a certainty some had a more sparkling personality than others, but that’s simply the way we humans are. I always felt I was a welcomed guest.
6. Timothy the Cat was an excellent hotel representative. A sweet little tuxedo male, he is the hotel’s somewhat-adopted mascot, and he charms staff and guests alike. Timothy never presumes “Everybody loves cats!” Rather, he stands patiently to one side, near the entrance, and if a cat-fancying guest wants to make friends he will cheerfully oblige. I give kudos to management and staff who look out for Timothy and make sure he’s reasonably fed and sheltered. This small touch reveals a friendly and caring ethos that carries over to hotel guests, believe me. Thank you, Reigate Manor, for Timothy.

Reigate Manor will not overwhelm you with glitz and luxury, but if you seek clean and comfortable lodging with unobtrusive attention from hotel staff I certainly do recommend it.

2 Thank JVDonnant
Giles T, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Reigate Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thanks for your detailed and kind response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we will see you back at the hotel in the future!
Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

I was not impressed by some of the staff, not very helpful.
I did not feel welcome at all during my 1 night stay.

Room were very basic, nothing amazing to report. Would probably not go back for this price.

Only choosen it due to the location, but I would rather drive extra miles for a better hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
I am disspointed we did not meet your expectations further and would like to pursue how we can improve this. Please contact me via the hotel website and hopefully I can restore your faith in our hotel

Travellers are raving about these Reigate hotels

Kent, England, U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Minutes off the M25, with a well-practiced operation providing celebratory dinner-dances, and comfortable rooms with all the necessary features: what's not to like?
Plenty of staff were on hand throughout the day and night, and all were helpful, attentive and efficient.
Efficiency is possibly the key word for this hotel. If you are on a budget and/or just staying the night it provides an excellent service for the price. By the way, I share the appreciation by other reviewers of the shower. Why can't they all be as easy to use?

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Many thanks for your kind words - we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel over 2013!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reigate
Bridge House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Reigate
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Hartsfield Manor Betchworth
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick

Been to BEST WESTERN Reigate Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!