“Shocking service, 2nd stay review, it's no better.”

Best Western Reigate Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Reigate
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I stayed in this hotel approx 2 years ago, unfortunatley on my Birthday whilst I was working. The first thing that struck me at the time was the fact that the room service menu had a diabolical, overpriced selection of food. I opted to order a takeaway in but was told on arrival that I couldn't eat it in the room "because it would make the room smell". I took the aformentioned food to the room and ate it, with a passing loud comment to the staff, "so sue me" and duly deposited the empty carton on reception as they do say "contact reception to remove your trays". ;-) A fracas occured with the manager after that but it was soon apparent that he was happy to let it lie after trying to reason his crazy opinion to a 6ft 4 18st bloke. I also mentioned to him that the £150 charge for no smoking in the room was at the time, non enforceable, as it is today. If you get charged, immediatley issue a credit card chargeback and you will get your money back..it's up to them to pursue it if you have been smoking in the room, and for that they need ALOT of evidence.
Fast forward 2 years and I find myself staying in the same hotel, and indeed, I am posting this second review from the room as we speak. Thankfully, I arrived late but hungry. The provision was for sandwiches, so I ordered one off the room service menu for £8, this consisted of a handful of crisps and a cheese sandwich made with the cheapest bulk buy bread possible. I'm sure you'll agree when you see the picture (to be uploaded on my return) that this is not good value for money, i'm only glad I'm not paying for it.
Hotel rooms and location are OK, service & food quality is the worst I have ever experienced. You would have thought after 2 years something might have got better, not at this hotel, that's for sure.
Roll on tomorrow morning, when I can check out........

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank MrVanilla

Reviewed 2 October 2009

Was booked in to this by collagues attending our annual conference, rooms ok, decor ok. Staff too busy talking to themselves to really attend to clients, they were moaning about the hours they had to work, ie double shifts etc. even though the hotel was empty. There were 6 of us staying at the hotel and we wanted an evening meal, we were shown in to the bar where they pulled 2 small tables together and gave us one menu of bar meals between us!! Worried about how fresh the food would be in as there was nobody else around, so we decided not to bother eating there. Too worried about food poisoning!! We went across the road to the Yew Tree who had finished serving food but they gladly opened the kitchen up for us and the food/service was second to none. Breakfast ok next morning but none of the hot food containers were replenished when the food had gone, jut as well none of us were really hungry. Think I must have had the same room as another guest on Trip Advisor because my door took an age to close, even when trying to force it.
Just watch what they charge on your credit card as I got home to a not so nice surprise. They claimed I had been smoking in the room when I certainly had not and charged me the sum of £150.00 for specialist cleaning!! It certainly wasn't me, but the self righteous managing director of the hotel who I spoke to on the phone when I got home would not listen and he was so rude he put the phone down on me. Who's to say it wasn't the cleaners!! But apart from me taking them to small claims court there is nothing I can do about it, apart from never ever staying in a Best Western again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank marynorthyorkshire
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I had to stay over in Redhill one night due to work commitments and after people advised me to stay at other hotels I plumped for the Best Western as it was the closest. How I wish I'd listened to those people!!! There must be no more than 2 staff working and although they are polite enough, when you have to wait 5 to 10 minutes to check in after a busy day it can start to fray on your nerves. Add to that a wait of nearly 5 minutes (literally) for someone to answer the phone at reception, another wait of 15 minutes (so far) for a simple iron and ironing board and you can start to see the need that they may be slightly understaffed. The menu was totally unimpressive and if you care to walk out the hotel to the pub opposite then you get a much warmer welcome and a much better (and considerably cheaper) menu choice. The rooms are probably not worth the 60 odd pounds I paid but this seems to be about the standard cost nowadays.

One thing they really need to address is the standard of the WiFi setup they have. It's great that its free for everyone but when you constantly keep losing your connection when you're trying to work it's extremely frustrating. It doesnt even matter where you sit in the hotel either, the coverage and connection is still awful.

I'm still waiting for the iron and ironing board....

Do I dare risk breakfast tomorrow??! I'm not sure i can afford to still be waiting for my toast at 10am!

I'll not be coming back here and I'll also be advising my company to not book any of my colleagues in here either.

Awful place. Good pub across the road though.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We stayed overnight for a wedding and the reception was held in the hotel. All the staff were really helpful and the service was excellent throughout our stay especially for the wedding reception. We had a good room with an excellent bathroom.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2009

We had our son's christening here and I could not praise them enough. It was well organised and everyone commented on how lovely the food was. Everyone staying was very happy with their rooms and the service they received. The best hotel in the area and perfect for putting friends and relatives if you live in the area.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Had to attend a company induction day at this hotel, so I decided to stay the previous night.

Check-in was initially slightly hesitant, but done OK. The only thing that delayed me getting into my room was the poor instructions printed on the keycard, there are instructions on both sides and the more detailed illustrated instructions are on the BACK of the card! It took me a few minutes to crack it!!!

Room was reasonably spacious, clean, and tidy. Room service food is centred around one and half rounds of sandwiches with salad and a hanful of crisps. Reception said that hot food cannot be served as Room Service due to 'Health and Safety', as I am a fully qualified and registered Health, Safety & Quality Auditor, I am struggling trying to work that one out!!!!

The sandwich was edible, the salad uninteresting, and as for the crisps, I ate them in one go!!!

Slept very well that night and woke to a shower of all showers - recently modernised and equipped with the lates and simplest touchpads it was a dream to be in!!!

Breakfast was far superior to the previous Best Western I stayed in at Bournemouth - No Basil Fawlty strut-alike here in Reigate!!!

Check out was speedy and friendly. The rest of the day? Well that was a very intensive company induction!

One final thing here - The Wi-Fi here is free and it works!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank DaveJC
Reviewed 29 March 2009

We ignored the bad reviews on here and got a very good deal on this hotel using a combination of cashback and a discount at a popular broker website. It knocked the rack rate in half anyway.

We needed somewhere close to Reigate Hill Golf Club as we were attending a party. Although it was "just a bed" for a night, we were really pleased we stayed here.

The room and bathroom were massive. A good selection of tea, coffee and hot chocolate were provided, as well as the usual hotel room standards such as a trouser press and complimentary toiletries. The shower in particular is probably the best I've ever used - very modern with push buttons that glowed! The bed was very comfortable.

The front desk staff were fantastic and very friendly. It was a nice touch to be ushered us to a taxi we had ordered.

We can't comment on the food as we didn't eat here (£12 for breakfast is a bit steep to be honest).

The location of the hotel was very good, close to the M25 and A217. A taxi fare to nearby Gatwick Airport from here is about £9 according to our driver. I'm not sure if you can "park & fly", but given the size of the room we stayed in, and it's excellent location, this would be a good choice I would think.

We would heartily recommend a stay here. It's nowhere near as bad as some people have made out.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reigate
Bridge House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Reigate
Travelodge Redhill Town Centre
Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa

Been to Best Western Reigate Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!