“Rancid meat”
Review of Bridge House Hotel

Bridge House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Reigate
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My wife and i stayed for one night on September-5-2013 on a B&B plus breakfast basis. The twin room was fine and clean with good coffee/ tea facilities. We decided to spoil ourselves and have dinner in the restaurant rather than drive to redhill. Big mistake, we both ordered sirloin steaks, when they arrived the plates looked very appetising until we bit into the steaks and immediately spat than out, the meat was rank, we complained to the manager who when questioned on why this had occurred told us that the new delivery of meat had been mixed up with old stock. Never in our 70 odd years in umteen hotels throughout the world heard this before, We leave you to judge whether you'd like to stay here, for us the answer is obvious.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bungi1
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Bridge House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for your review which we did query with Trip Advisor as we would certainly have remembered someone complaining about such a matter and none of the team can recall such ancident. However as this review is still on the site and at first sight is less than complimentary it needs a response.

What the team do recall is a guest saying that their steak looked great, but tasted "unusual" and it appeared that the pan used to make a sauce reduction in had been used for cooking the steak and some of this flavour had transferred. The steak was immediately replaced with an apology and no charge

We have meat deliveries 3 times a week and there is no question of stock issues and our supplier is very highly rated.

I am also confused as you rate the hotel very highly in virtually every area yet we are shown with one star....how strange.

Thank you for posting a review but to clarify, if it was you that had the steak, it had a sauce flavour from another dish other than that it was perfect as you state.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Booked first visit to the hotel taking advantage of the special offers which included dinner and breakfast. Was unsure what to expect as there was a group of us attending a local wedding. Glad to say we were pleasantly surprised by the excellent choice of goumet dinner and extenstive choice for breakfast. Rooms on first floor clean, spacious, with balcony space. Tea facilities, additional towels, hair dryer and relieved also an iron and iron board in the room. There were three generations of our famly with varing needs but all agreed the hotel was excellent value for money already planning to visit again for one of their theme nights. Customer services very good, Linda extremely helpful as she helped arranged an early dinner so we could attend the wedding church practice!!.

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor come with balcony - great when weather is good and easy access to car park.
2  Thank Patricia186338
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The bridge hotel is lovely and extremely comfortable and clean. The staff are very friendly and will do there up most to help you. we had a top floor and was lovely and clean with tea and coffee making facility's, and the views were beautiful. Breakfast is made to order with what ever you wished with plentiful juice, tea, coffee and toast. Would defiantly stay again

Room Tip: Top floor for beautiful views
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Bridge House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thanks for your review and so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Hope we see you again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I booked a double at the hotel with my brother. I loved everything about this hotel set in the verdant green Surrey countryside. I found the hotel staff generally courteous and friendly. The small kettle wired to the bottom desk drawer might seem a little naff but it actually allows more desktop space for laptops and other stuff. There's less clutter on the desktop with the kettle neatly tucked away in the bottom drawer. I spent three pleasant nights at the hotel en route to my niece's wedding. The gregarious pot-bellied Spanish waiter Mancho in the hotel restaurant regaled us not only with a lavish cornucopia of food but also with his wonderful wit and magic tricks throughout our mouth-watering meals. The housekeeper/cleaner was kind enough to switch off the air conditioner in my room which I had inadvertently left running when I dashed out to my niece's wedding. Needless to say, I left generous £20 tips for both my entertaining waiter and considerate cleaner. A hotel well worth revisiting.

Room Tip: Glad my ground floor room came with a balcony which indeed proved to be a boon on the hot summery da...
4  Thank Roger_Belmar

Thanks for your review and yes Moncho is rather special!!!

Hope we see you again soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed one night for a family event, there were 12 of us.

Staff were surly, and I am being polite there, when I informed the receptionist of issues with my room she raised her eyes to the sky and told me that it would be unlikely they would be resolved as the engineers were busy.

Room was a good size for a double, bathroom was on the small side, this sadly is where the positives finish.

Only half the lights worked in the room, towel rail didn't work so we had damp towels for the morning.

Shower was poor to unacceptable, strangely, it worked better if you turned the temperature up to unbearable pain. We chose not to take that option.

Room smelt of smoke,(it was a non smoking room), and was also musty, as was the smell in the whole Hotel, there was a full ashtray on the balcony even though I am guessing the room had been cleaned.

On the surface the room was clean, however if you put your hand on something you soon discovered how dusty it was, if you stay in room 17 let me know if it still says "dust me" on top of the shelf!!!

Bathroom door wouldn't stay closed, due to there being no latch or lock on it.

Balcony was dirty, paint missing, woodwork on the soffit was rotten with holes in it.

The kettle etc, this was a huge source of amusement to us. It had been hard wired into the lower drawer of the dressing table. This meant that to use it you had to manoeuvre it out of the drawer and then whilst in use you were unable to use any drawers because of the cable. Had i wanted to remove the kettle as a souvenir, highly unlikely, I could have done so, if this is a security feature it is sadly lacking. (much like the rest of the hotel.)

If you like moths this is a great hotel for moths, we had a few in our room and just for fun I asked the rest of the party if they had the same issue. Between 12 of us. 6 rooms, 22 moths. I don't really know what that indicates but there you are.

On to the restaurant, staff here were much friendlier.

Soup arrived literately luke warm. It was sent back and returned a little hotter than luke warm but not hot enough to enjoy, unless you like cold soup and this wasn't Gazpacho. So it went back again along with three other bowls from our table. Sadly, no apology from the staff.

My main, "Salmon and Scampi." I have now learned that Scampi can be plural or singular, I got one Scampi on top of my Salmon!!! OK, that's what it said on the menu so I couldn't really argue, particularly as it wasn't my "do". I needed to keep the Father in Law happy, or at least , less upset than he was already.

My Wife's main was a chicken dish which was inedible, it was possibly more than double cooked, dry and tough. Some of our group sent their meals back to be either cooked properly,( a pork dish with blood in the middle of the pork), or to be served hot.

We had to ask the Maître De four times if he would take drinks orders for coffee and liqueurs, which was not a huge surprise as after serving the first glass of wine it was left in ice buckets for us to do, but only if we got up to where it had been put, not too near to the table!

One of our party, when asked what he thought of the place was, "knock it down and build a Hotel".

Well, I could, as you might have deduced , go on, but I think that if you have read this far you should have the general impression it is not the best hotel I have stayed in, it was worse than hotels in North Africa, and you have to go some to beat them.

Thanks for reading and good luck in your choice.

Room Tip: Avoid Avoid Avoid, best tip I can offer.
2  Thank Ian P
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I'm amazed anyone can give this hotel a good review. My husband and I were staying at the hotel to celebrate a family birthday. I mailed the hotel ten days before to ask what time we could check in - no response. We were 'greeted' at reception by a surly woman, who had obvioulsy forgotten to go to smiling school. On walking to our room, (no offer of help even though there were quite a few stairs involved and we had an obvioulsy old and frail relative with us), we were assailed by the musty, damp smell, and noticed how tatty all the bedroom doors were - scratched and banged. The room was a reasonable size, with a large and comfortable bed and the bedding seemed clean, but that's about all I can say on the positive side. The tea and coffee set was in a drawer, and was wired in such a way that you can't shut the drawer if you put the tray on the dressing table to make tea. Mad. There was no wardrobe, only a bar sticking out of the wall with five hangers on it. No wi-fi. Thick dust on top of pictures and ledges. One of the bedroom lights wasn't working but when we asked if someone could fix it (the room was quite dark already), we were told that they didn't think maintenance would be able to get to us. The bathroom door wouldn't shut, kept swinging open and was very tatty at the bottom. The towel rail didn't work. You could only get more than a dribble out of the shower if you had the water so hot that it scolded you. Only shower gel provided, no shampoo or conditioner. The balcony from hell - the wooden divides between terrace were all mouldy, green and fallng to bits, and the railings at the front were rotten with rust. The wooden over hang had a section about two foot long that was completely rotten and literally dropping parts onto the balcony. There was one fiithy plastic table and one equally filthy plastic seat. Although we were in a non-smoking room, there was an ashtray on the table on the balcony, which was full of dogends. Large weeds growing on the next balcony along. I visited my parent's room and they had newspaper pushed into the gap between the double glazing the ceiling. They also seemed to have a resident moth, the same as us. We saw quite a few moths in the hallways as well. Dinner that night wasn't good either. The soup all went back because it was only just tepid, came back slightly warrmer. My main course (very dried up chicken breast) was virtually inedible but I didn't send it back because I didn't want offend the host. Another guest did return her meal though because she'd chosen the pork and there was blood in the middle. All desserts were fine as far as I know. Asked for liquers with coffee, but they turned up long after coffee had been finished. Breakfast in the morning was adequate, selection of cereals, some fresh fruit and pastries, full english cooked to order, but fruit juice out of cartons and tea and coffee out of urns so not very hot. I'd have been most embarrassed if I'd been hosting a birthday party there and had invited friends and family to stay, and will most certainly not stay there again.

1  Thank Nician96
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We were welcomed very well when we arrived. The corridors were narrow and a little jaded but the hotel is not a new one. The room was clean, a good size and well equipped by modern budget hotel standards. The bathroom was huge.

If you are a smoker the balconies must be a great change to hotel living - shame the staff do not seem to clear up the dog ends!

We faced the main road, but with the double glazing and height above it there was only a muted sound of traffic. The curtains were thick and well lined - perhaps the darkest room we have had for a while.

Breakfast was good but was served in a mechanical way- for instance, I was not asked if I would like some more coffee.

Overall - we needed somewhere for the night at short notice and the nearest Premier Inn was full!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank meltonpieman
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Bridge House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thank you for the review and so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Not sure about the "mechanical" service of breakfast and we will look into this and sorry about the cleaning of the balconies. Should not happen, but on busy days [particularly if it is raining] this gets left in the hope it will clear up, and then it appears it was forgotten.

Sorry and hope we see you again soon.

Kindest

David

Also consider these accommodations in or near Reigate
Best Western Reigate Manor Hotel
Premier Inn Epsom South Hotel
Travelodge Redhill Hotel
The Cranleigh Hotel
The Cranleigh Hotel
#2 of 3 in Reigate
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth

Been to Bridge House Hotel? Share your experiences!