“Overpriced and average”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sutton
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel only for one night as we had to attend a funeral the next day and the hotel was near to the crematorium. It was more than I would normally pay for B&B at £126.00 and on top of that they charged an extra £7.00 a night for parking in the car park which we had to pay as we didn’t fancy wandering around Sutton trying to find somewhere to park. We arrived fairly late after a long journey and went into the hotel restaurant for a meal for which we paid £30.00 for 2 fairly small main courses and £10.00 for a pint and a half of lager. (Although it tasted OK, my sausage and mash had obviously been sat around for a while as the onion gravy was in a congealed dollop on the top!). I always like using the tea/coffee facilities in a room but when I took the tray out of the cupboard, the cups and spoons were stuck to the tray so I had to wash up before I could use them! The room and bathroom were a good size (although I think a 5 year old must have done the bizarre grouting in the bathroom!). We tried to get our money’s worth by eating as much as we could for breakfast (and to be fair, apart from the scrambled eggs which were weird, the breakfast was OK). This sort of hotel is probably fine for business people but even though it’s The Holiday Inn, I wouldn’t really recommend it for a holiday stay, unless you take out a second mortgage first.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time on sharing your experiences with us with reference to your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London Sutton. Feedback from our customers is vital to us as to see if we deliver the services and standards to the highest quality.
Wit reference to your comments I would like to apolgise firstly for any inconvenience we may have caused you. I have shared your commenst with our Restaurant Manager, Head Chef and Head Housekeeper for immediate follow up as some of the points raised is not the way I would like to portray the standards and services of the hotel.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Warm welcome from reception when I arrived on a recent January evening but that is where the warmth stopped.
I was given a standard room - nothing wrong with it - pretty basic and without any charm but it was clean and adequately equipped. But the room was ice cold. I like colder rooms to sleep in so for me to find it intolerably cold means it really was cold. I went downstairs and spoke to reception who said that they had designated cold rooms and hot rooms...have never heard of such a thing. I hadn't asked for a cold room. The room was on the corner of the building - next to the fire escape so maybe that is why it was freezing. The heating wasn't making an impact. I spent the night with the contents of both beds on my bed, wearing my socks and a hat to keep warm. Ridiculous really.
And to cap it all I was kept awake from 2 till 4 by a group of adults who were coming in and out of their rooms, drunk, to have a fag on the fire escape. Constant door banging, shouting and cigarette smoke drifting into the room.
The staff were really friendly and welcoming but I found this such an uncomfortable place to stay. It reminded me of the programme Crossroads Motel....the restaurant was called 'Squiggles'. Why? All that was lacking was Alan Partridge to make an appearance. The only thing in its favour is its very convenient location in the centre of Sutton which has a good selction of high street restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a warm room. Not the ice box.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your views on our hotel with reference to your recent visit.
I hereby would like to take the opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience we may have caused you with reference to the room being cold.
I can assure you we do not have designated hot and cold rooms as all our rooms are exactly the same and all equipped with a AC/Heating unit accordingly. I do admit that rooms on the outside of the building, certainly during the cold spell we had recently, seems to be slightly colder than other rooms. I have shared your comments with reference to the noise with our Reception Manager as well Night team as this should have been followed up accordingly, certainly the hotel being designated a non-smoking hotel.
With reference to the "restaurant", although in fairness it is only a coffee lounge as our main restaurant is called Junction, a squiggle, according to Wikipedia, can be a random shape, or a drawing. Normally it is a short, undulating line. As the lounge, untill the year 2010, had dividers placed around them, it was actually the staff, during a naming competition in 1999, who decided on the name Squiggles. You can still see that in the frosted glass at the bar counter. During 2010, when a refurbishment was taking place, it was considered to change the name but as the name Squiggles appears in all the written documents, literature as well signage around the hotel, this idea was dropped accordingly.
Once again my apologies for any inconvenience caused and thanking you on the other side for your kind comments regarding the staff I do hope I can welcome you back one day to the hotel again.
Yours,

Marco J. Frik

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Since my original review I have stayed at this hotel several times and each stay has been exceptional, the staff continue to provide outstanding service and I have not had any further issues with my stays. The 15 minute rule in the gym solves the issue during peak hours. The entertainment such as comedy nights are fantastic.

It's now clear the issues encountered on my first few stays were just really unlucky and I am impressed the hotel management took immediate action to resolve my concerns. As I mentioned in my last review, the hotel is in a convenient location close to Sutton railway station and many nice restaurants. I do highly recommend this hotel, particularly the King Suite which is very impressive and upto 5* standards, worth every penny. I look forward to my return!

Room Tip: King Suite all the way!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank RKK1
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

I hereby would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff as well hotel, they are highly appreciated.
Looking forward to welcome you again soon to the hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 January 2012

A hurried booking through one of the agencies for three rooms gave us bed and breakfast on a Sunday evening for £55 per room..........terrific value. The reception staff were well above the usual standard with which we have become familiar. After an important engagement we arrived back just in time to find the restaurant had closed, but not worry there's a large selection of eats available in the bar. We throughly enjoyed the varied fare there and were well looked after by Annet who was a delight.

Rooms are the ususal Holiday Inn standard, were clean and everything worked as it should.

Breakfast food quality in the main dining room was probably the best we have experienced in a Holday Inn here in the UK and I have experienced many, and the staff, yet again, were very friendly and caring.

The hotel in well situated and is in a short walking distance of Sutton High street which is the main pedestrian shopping area.

This is the best Holiday Inn so far and special mention must be made of Amber at reception who went out of here way to look after our booking.

We shall return here again soon.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank bryble

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us as well your comments on our staff as well services at the hotel.
We will certainly share your comments about Amber, our Reception Supervisor, with her.
Looking forward to welcome you back to t he hotel in the near future again,

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Just had a weekend break in the spa suite which is a lovely room with it's own spa bath. I think the whole executive floor has had a good clean through as all you can smell everywhere is fresh linen! Lovely! We had a day of shopping and some lunch in Sutton high street which has the usual street shops, nothing special. We ate in the bar on the second night as the restaurant was fully booked (but empty when we arrived and left!) apparently the whole restaurant had reservations which were all very late which was good for us as the service was quick and the food was lovely. After several sessions of relaxing in the spa bath I felt quite refreshed when it was time to go home. One bad point which is particularly bad was the state of the mattress cover on our bed. I went to make the bed before we left and some of the mattress protector had shifted so I lifted the sheets to re-fit it and was sick to my stomach when I saw the blood stains and another stain of goodness knows what on it! There is no way the staff could have missed these stains when they changed the sheets so they obviously thought it acceptable to leave a filthy mattress cover on a bed for the next guests! It was quite disgusting thinking that we had been sleeping on this! I filled in the form provided which asked for one thing that could have been improved on and handed it to the man at reception when we checked out. I was shocked when he didn't even acknowledge the issue after he had read through what I wrote. I told him there was blood and goodness knows what else on it and he didn't even answer me but continued to make out my bill!
I have stayed here several times and like the hotel and like the facilities and they also have a beauty salon which I don't remember them having before but it was too late to use it by the time I found the leaflet in the room. Maybe if I go back there I will give it a try! All in all it was a nice stay but it really was let down by the filthy bedding!

Room Tip: Fourth floor is the executive floor and is quite quiet. The spa suite is on this floor.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

I hereby would like to thank you for your kind feedback on our hotel with reference to your recent stay. We appriaciate the time taken for this.
I have offcourse followed up immediately on your comment regarding the mattress cover and could see the "markings" accordingly, although could not confirm to you if this was either blood or a dark coffee stain. I have discussed the point with our Executive Housekeeper as well Reception Manager for follow up and just as a pre-caution we have changed both the mattress as well mattress cover in the spa suite.

I would like to apologise in any case for any inconvenience we may have caused you with this.

Thanking you again for your comments and looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future,

Reviewed 7 January 2012

When staying at eh Holiday Inn Gibson Road we have always found the service excellent. Clean and well run Hotel with friendly staff.
The breakfast is well presented and cooked to a high standard, all provisions as expected. Light comfortable restaurant area.

Drinks are expensive at the bar so recommend the 2-minute walk into Sutton High Street for a drink. Plenty of restaurants to cater for all tastes. Friends of ours recently were ill after a trip to Nandos, Short walk from Sutton station with trains into London within 30mins.

On the weekend there are often functions and we have found the music to be audible in the room, although it did not bother us too much it may not be for everyone. Clean presentable rooms. As a platinum priority club member we are often up graded to a suite and on the 4th floor they have a number of excellent rooms.

I have a bit of a gripe with the car park sometimes, as it is very tight, and always busy.

Overall the Holiday Inn in Sutton gets the thumbs up from me

Room Tip: Book those on the Fourth Floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

I hereby would like to thank you for your kind feedback on our hotel with reference to your recent stay. We appreciate the time taken for this.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon,

Reviewed 31 December 2011

The room is quite big but it is quite old. The kettle looks so old. It is in central of Sutton, 2 minutes walk to the long walking street, a good place for shopping. However it is not near to London. It took hour to get into central London (eg. Picadilly circus, covent garden) if you didn't take express trains. Taxi from London to here is really expensive too, 65 pounds. The good thing about this hotel was that staffs are kind and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

I hereby would like to thank you for your kind feedback on our staff at the hotel with reference to your recent stay. We appriaciate the time taken for this and we certainly will share this with all staff accordingly.

Marco Frik

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel
Hilton London Croydon
Hilton London Croydon
#10 of 24 in Croydon
Ibis Styles London Croydon
Best Western Plus London Croydon Aparthotel
Travelodge London Wimbledon Morden

Been to Holiday Inn London Sutton? Share your experiences!