“Okay but has a budget hotel feel”

Holiday Inn London Sutton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sutton
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This was no doubt a wonderfully stylish hotel when it was built, but it's now rather dated and has something of a budget feel - and despite the relatively high price of a room. In fact the previous night I's stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (the official budget side of this hotel chain) in Scotland and the standard of the room there was actually higher but the cost much less. Service started off badly with a very rude receptionist (note to manager: in her twenties, short, dyed blond hair, grumpy face) but other than her all other staff were courteous, helpful and friendly. So it's okay but don't expect any great degree of luxury and style and despite the price you'll need to pay for a room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Roger82
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service levels we aim for.
I can assure you that we have discussed your comment about the Reception staff with the individual itself as this is not the way I would like to portray the standards and services of the hotel.
Looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and may I suggest you try one of our newly upgraded Executive Rooms during that stay and I would appreciate your feedback on these rooms.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is a good Holiday Inn and that is exactly how to see it. However, the restaurant staff at breakfast are surly and rude. Dont ask for a coffee, they react!! The hotel is advertised with a pool and the website has a really enticing picture. It is small, shallow and when we visited, the mens changing room had no shower facilities, not advertised until you arrived in the pool/fitness facilties. Dont come sweaty out of the gym - the solution was suggested to use the disabled shower (there's only one) and then walk naked across the fitness reception to the changing room. Extremely poorly thought out and should have been flagged up earlier. Cut the room rate for lack of the real facilities.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

I have to admit that I am really surprised about your comments regarding our breakfast staff as this is basically the first time I am confronted with a comment like this. Our breakfast staff have been here for years and during my time (including comments made on our website as well TripAdvisor) have been very positive only. I will discuss your comments though with the breakfast team accordingly.
I can only apologise for any inconvenience we may have caused while we are in the middle of a complete shower refurbishment in both the mens and ladies changing rooms. The usage of the disabled changing facilities as a temporary measure is basically the only option left for us beside of closing down the facilities completely for 3 weeks, something we will try to avoid at any time.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed in february 2014.
Room was not ready when I arrived, after 10 minutes I was told it was ready but when I got there it was still being cleaned.
I did get an upgrade to a Jacuzzi room. Very spacious room lovely jacuzzi bath.
Lovely buffet breakfast.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can, a friend had a standard room, 400 and something but it was tiny, I upgraded same...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I've never stayed in the hotel before (I would, but I live a ten minute walk away) however I have utilised it on a number of occasions - namely for food and swimming. I can see that the hotel is a nice building, I know that the people who work here are friendly and competent and, as I've eaten here twice, I remember how the food, too, is tasty. The swimming pool is small but ideal for beginners or those who just want to relax. They do swimming lessons for a reasonable price which is very useful too.

Holiday Inn Sutton is a good place.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights from the 7th of April and was very impressed by it. The room was immaculate and the service was faultless from all of the staff. On the first night i was alone and decided to have dinner in my room, i had the lasagne which was ok but nothing to write home about and there is a £3 tray charge for meals, it filled the gap though. The next morning i went down to breakfast and the buffet had everything you could wish for and more. I also used the hotels coffee shop in the afternoon and again a lovely friendly welcome from the girl serving there. The hotel is bang in the middle of Sutton and convenient for everything. Overall i was very happy with my stay, the only thing i would advise is to double check your bill on checking out as i found i had been charged £48 for parking instead of £21...its £7 per night and also £15 foe a breakfast which as i had a bed/breakfast rate anyway was puzzling! This was quickly amended though. I WOULD HAVE NO HESITATION IN RECOMMENDING THIS HOTEL AND WOULD MOST DEFINITELY STAY AGAIN IF THE NEED AROSE.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

We would like to apologise once again for the slight mistake in your final invoice, but happy to see this was quickly resolved.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We recently stayed here for my sons 7th birthday so we could have 2 days in Chessington. We had to book the 2 nights separately as there was no availability with Chessington holidays for the 2nd night. When I rang the hotel and explained they said no problem they would combine the booking so we could have the same room for the 2 nights. They also said if we joined their rewards programme we could have a 2 o'clock check out on the Sunday as we waned to use their swimming pool before leaving for home.

The hotel is in a really good location in the heart of all the shops, restaurants, bars and clubs.

The restaurant and bar areas were lovely. The room had 2 double beds which is what we wanted and the room was clean. The pool and gym area were nice and we used the pool and whirl pool. Breakfast was a buffet style and was everything we wanted.

Would def stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

We are looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel in due time.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Many thanks to all the team at Holiday Inn Sutton,

As a priority club member I am always grateful for an up grade when available, what makes this hotel special is they always remember our favourite room/suite room 415.

Reception staff, bar staff and the team running breakfast are some of the best staff we have come across over the years when staying at hotels and make our stay at this hotel a pleasure.

Again many thanks to all

Andrew and Dina Willis

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager5_9, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Sutton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

We are looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel in due time.

Marco Frik

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton
The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel
Hampton by Hilton London Croydon
Chessington Safari Hotel
Chessington Safari Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chessington

Been to Holiday Inn London Sutton? Share your experiences!