“Great local pub with food.”
Review of The Belmont - CLOSED

The Belmont
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I'm a regular visitor here, both alone and with partner/family.

Carvery is great value when I can't be bothered to cook, half a dozen vegetables, meat and all the trimmings for just over a fiver, hardly worth cooking at home.

Good selection of drinks at reasonable prices and I've always found the staff friendly and helpful.

I think in general if YOU are polite then it will be reciprocated.

There are rumours it's being turned into a Thai restaurant, can't see that this is right for the area/demographic. It will be missed if it goes.

1  Thank John K

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We arrived about 5.30pm and were told waiting time for a table was 30 minutes. We ended up waiting nearly an hour for a table, and that was only because my husband asked how much longer we would have to wait. No apology was given. Our drinks order was taken straight away; however we had to wait about 15 mins for them to be delivered to our table. The carvery was very good, except for the yorkshire puddings. After we asked for the bill, we then had to wait another 10 minutes for the waitress to return to the table so that we could pay (the restarant was not busy at this time). We won't be returning.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is my daughters and my favourite carvery, much cosier atmosphere than the far too busy Toby carveries in the area. Food is great, friendly service, excellent value for money, nice atmosphere. Would recommend to anyone loving their carveries.

Des B, General Manager at The Belmont, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

My Team were absolutely made up by this review and its great that we can cross the generations. Long may it continue!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

The Belmont is well known for being a great place to get a carvery. The carvery is £8.95 each at the point of writing this review. The food is good quality and the veg was fresh and cooked well....but not limp or soggy. Service was polite and quick, even if a little basic - our waitress spilt the drinks and forgot part of our drinks. The Tuck Shop Sundae is an amazing pudding - a mystery share but worth it for a fun treat.

They do take reservations which is a very good idea when visiting as it can get very very busy.

The pub in general is not fancy place, a bit basic but clean and perfectly fine for a Sunday lunch. They do have sky sports in the bar area if you want to keep up with the days scores - as my kids did.

The pub is also a bit of a haunt for several Eastenders stars, when we were there Alfie Moon was there with other cast members - not my thing but it may be of interest.

Des B, General Manager at The Belmont, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

fantastic ,great to hear you enjoyed yourself and that we offered facilities you required hope it wasnt too noisy when the Boys put three passed the Reds

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The food is ok considering the price ( you get what you pay for) but the service was shocking. Got seated straight away which was good but it took the waitress 20mins to take our drink order & was very rude when we called her over, blaming us on not looking ready to have our order taken????. The Yorkshire pudding were the worst I have ever seen & my partner said they were disgusting but the rest of the food was fine. When we were finally asked if we wanted puddings, the waitress seemed annoyed that we said yes, we realised later that we were the last table & she wanted to go home, if she had paid more attention to serving our table instead being the kitchen most of the time, then we would have finished a lot earlier. I have been a waitress & would have never have spoken or treated customers with such bad manners, huffing, tuting & rolling if eyes, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

I can only apologise for the perception you may have got from our restaurant, our staff are constantly on training programmes to reduce this sort of incident and I hope on this occaision that it was a case of mis-communication