“cool place to stay if you've got dog(s)”

Savannah Bed & Breakfast
Savannah Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Virginia Water
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We stayed at this b&b for about 10 days and enjoyed the good location, the great breakfast (which was tailored to our needs) and the friendly service. Would recommend to any dog owner to stay in this cosy b&b as it's perfectly located and our room was definitely to our liking :-)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
savannahbandb, Owner at Savannah Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2013

So glad you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully will see you
again soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights while exploring the area for a new property. We were also very lucky to be the only guests during our stay, so we had full use of the front garden for our own dog...who loved it very much and enjoyed playing with their dogs, too!

Helen and David (the owners) were great - very friendly and helpful. They gave us a real insight into the area and where to look for properties, where to eat, etc. We spent plenty of time sitting in the conservatory or at the dining table talking about all and sundry with them! Great company!

The room was large and bright, very clean, with a huge bathroom (and bath).

Who knows, perhaps we will move in nearby? We will be sure to come and say hello again if so!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed at the Savannah for 3 nights mid-August 2012. We were looking for accommodation for my wife and I, plus our 2 kids, 7 & 4 years old in a location suitable for Legoland. We phoned the Savannah and spoke to owner Helen. I found her very helpful and courteous in accommodating our needs. She asked if we wanted 2 adjoining rooms but we explained that we were looking for a single room to accommodate the 4 of us as we didn’t want to leave the kids unattended throughout the night. She then suggested the ‘Annex’ may be more suitable. The owner explained she had only recently made it available for rent following its recent refurbishment. She honestly explained that there was a small area of tiling around the sink area which needed completion as their tiler had gone on holiday. She needn’t have told us this as we didn’t even notice the tiling hadn’t been completed until 2 days into our stay! She explained the layout of the annex which sounded perfect so we booked it. On our arrival, Helen and David’s welcome was a very warm and friendly one. She showed us to the annex which we really didn’t know exactly what to expect. The Annex is an extension to the side of the main house with its own entrance via French doors which opened out onto the spacious mature garden which the kids loved. Our first impression of the annex was Wow! It was so much more than what we needed but at the same price of the other rooms available which were very reasonable at the Savannah. We basically just wanted an en-suite room with a double and 2 single beds. What we got with the Annex was a spacious room containing a queen double bed, 2 single beds, dining table, large Sony flat screen TV, large chest of drawers and a display cabinet with plenty of storage containing a large selection of interesting historical, novels and children’s books which was great as my wife is a bit of a book worm. The beds were very comfortable and I don’t think any expense was spared on the mattresses. Leading on from the main room was our own family bathroom and kitchen which had a large fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, microwave, crockery, dishwasher and washing machine and tumble dryer which was invaluable having the kids with us. There didn’t seem to be any expense spared by the owners regarding the fixture and fittings contained in the living/dining room, bathroom and kitchen. The Annex is a very private ground floor self-contained flat with plenty of natural light and a lovely open aspect onto the beautifully attended garden through the French doors. The owners had obviously catered the Annex for families of 2 Adults with 2 kids. I say this as they had a top of the range shower over the bath with temperature control, new wooden flooring in the living/dining area (easy to clean after kids) and the 2 very low off the floor single beds the owner purposely purchased to minimise the fall should a youngster fall out of bed. These little touches were evident around the house and their philosophy seemed to be that if it wasn’t good enough for their kids then it wasn’t suitable for their guests. The full English breakfast (£3) was lovely and cooked to perfection accompanied by lovely filter coffee, orange juice and a good selection of fruit, yoghurts, white or brown bread and cereal (they didn’t even charge breakfast for our 2 kids). The owners Helen & David were very friendly and approachable and particularly helpful with directions and local attractions. The Savannah is perfectly placed for all local attractions and theme parks and has a very good selection of restaurants nearby which were highly recommended by all the locals we spoke to. The downside was that we didn’t get to visit any of these restaurants as we had 2 kids with us who were too tired following our daily outings. The b&b is dog friendly and they have 2 dogs (pickle and squeak) who are such friendly and trained dogs. The owners let them out of their enclosed area of the garden on our arrival to entertain and occupy our kids but we hardly heard or saw them after that, they certainly weren’t the yapping constant barking type. Also we didn’t find a trace of dog hair such was the cleanliness of the place. Not only dog friendly were the owners but also kid friendly. Helen had all the time in the world for our kids and Helen the owner suggested we have our breakfast in the lovely conservatory they have so the kids could go outside and play to give us peace in eating our breakfast which was an absolute godsend. Basically, we couldn’t believe the extras (fully fitted kitchen & family bathroom) we had for less cost than a basic family room in one of the big chain hotels. All in all a fantastic stay and we are already planning to return next year to do Thorpe park or similar. Also the b&b is within quite an affluent area and the drive around its surrounding area Virginia Water is a very pleasurable one with all the spectacular and historical housing. There are also so many other attractions nearby which ve never got to visit due to time constraints. Thank you David and Helen for your wonderful hospitality which contributed to an already enjoyable stay. Looking forward to returning again next year

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I stayed at Savannah with a group of friends for one night before a wedding, which was conveniently located walking distance from the venue at Great Fosters.
We were really impressed with the standard of the rooms, very clean with great bathrooms. Really good value for money!
The hosts were incredibly friendly - made it feel like a home from home.
Helen was kind enough to help out with everything, from finding needle & cotton to fix a friends dress, to a 'care package' for the journey home to aid my hangover as I didn't make it down to breakfast!
She went far beyond the call of duty in making our stay extremely comfortable.
Would highly recommend to anyone needing to stay in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LCol2012
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed for one night we were attending a wedding near by. the owners we friendly and helpful gave us a lift to pick up our car in the morning. the room was very clean and I liked the contemporary feel but with some lovely vintage furniture. the bathroom was lovely, clean and the shower perfect temp. The attention to detail was great. The dogs very cute.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nettie892
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed one night at Savannah on the night before the Olympics at Eton Dorney. We had a lovely stay and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The rowing was very early and so I had agreed with Helen that we would have a 'portable' breakfast. We therefore left in our taxi, along with our breakfast picnics which were delicious. Thanks Helen.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I am very sorry to be writing this 'terrible' reveiw but out of fairness to the owners they need to know so they can consider some serous improvements. We were met by a yapping dogs which looked as though they were never groomed. David greeted us very warmly but considering we were customers was unshaved and looked as unkempt as his pets. The downstairs hall stunk of wet dogs and we nearly walked out at that point but were told the dogs weren't alowed upstairs but as we were shown upstairs the dogs ran in front of us and were called down!
We had travelled 220 miles so were tired and decided to see the room. We knew we had the smallest room on booking but it was way to small for a double bed especially of the type with protruding base and I banged my toes 2/3 times and broke a blood vessel in my leg to hoot. David had warned us to be careful as he had stubbed his toes a few times! The room was averagely clean with dusty skirtings on one wall and very dirty windows. None of the furnitire matched and was a mix of type and colours, much was shoddy. The hall and stairs cream carpet was stained with dark marks and so were areas of the bedroom cream carpet. We thought we had left the dog smell behind but after a couple of hours it had permeated the room and we could smell wet dogs all night. The mattress cover made plastic crinkly noises and our backs stuck to the bottom sheet so you couldnt turn over at all easily - It was hard and generally awfully uncomfortable experiance. We did not sleep one wink . Breakfast was poor/average ( no yogurts, no choices of tea offered, self service cheap sliced bread toast you did yourself and which only cooked on one side pale and burnt the other badly and we gave polite notoice that we would be unable to stay our second night and left afer paying 3 times more than a fair price. We booked into to a top Ascot hotel with spa for the second night which cost us £22 mmore than it would have for another night at this dredful b+b. Helen and David are very freindly and I am sure are unaware of how poor there offering is in fact they proudly say how hard they work to maintain thier 4* rating . Sadly they need to dramiltcally and objectively look at what they are giving thier customers and at £90/night there is not a jot of value for money and much to be concerned about. We would not recommend this b+b. Bad experiance.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
savannahbandb, Owner at Savannah Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2012

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I do apologise that you found the hall way to smell of wet dogs. In fairness they had just been out and I had not cleaned the tiled floor before you had arrived. I normally ask my guests if they like dogs as we are dog friendly, if they do not then I make sure the dogs are kept in the back garden out of the way. My husband had been doing some decorating and was not looking his best and I can only say sorry that I was busy with another guest and he showed you to your room and not I.
I did explain when you booked for 2 nights that I only had my smallest room left which has a double bed and en suite shower room. I am sorry you do not like the furniture in the room the bedside tables and bed are new but the dressing table and wardrobe belonged to my Mother and we have kept them for sentimental reasons and you are correct that they do not match. The carpet you said had marks on it I have given the carpet a clean and vacuumed very thoroughly and hopefully removed any marks or dust. Other guests who have had this room have requested it again as the bed was so comfortable and they had a good night’s rest. I asked my window cleaner to pay great attention to all the guest rooms as I had had a complaint. He has cleaned all the windows on the 27th and they are all sparkling so thank you for pointing this out to me.
The breakfast menu does state that the yogurts are in the fridge in the hall to keep them cool. I always ask guests if they require tea or coffee and that is when they normally state what type they prefer. My bread comes from the local store and is their own make. My sausages and bacon and eggs come from our local farm shop as does the tomatoes and mushrooms. Your husband did like the fruit which is also from our local farm shop.
As you told me something terrible had happened at home and you could not stay the other night I was very concerned for you both .If you had told me your reasons for not staying another night I may have been able to put things right. I have put up my price this year. I have been open for 3 years and have had to put my price up by £10 from £80 to cope with the economic cost of running the business. In fairness you have pointed out that this is the smallest room and I will now consider if I should drop the price of this room back to £80. A lot of other B & B in the area do charge a lot more than I so I do think we give value for money. I am glad you found a Hotel in Ascot more to your liking with a spa for your second night.
Since you stayed with us I have had a visit from the Hotel Inspector and she was very satisfied with all the rooms and I have kept my four stars. David and I do work very hard in keeping up our rooms to a high standard. I am sorry that on this occasion we have obviously not done so in your eyes. Thank you for pointing out any faults and I have taken your comments and acted on them.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Virginia Water
#2 of 4 in Weybridge
Royal Berkshire Hotel
Royal Berkshire Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sunninghill

Been to Savannah Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!